Ferrari 250 GTE Pro Street | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE Pro Street

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Dec 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Yeah, I had to pause a second. But honestly, I love these! They're repurposing something otherwise unloved, they're fast (as intended) and they're kinda hilarious.

The only thing cooler would be to source a modern Maserati or Ferrari V8 (though a modern V12 might fit). Now THAT would be a proper Ferrari hotrod!

2. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Yeah I love these as well. As much as I don't like seeing a decent 2 + 2 turned into a fake-y do vintage Ferrari wanna be, I do love these end of the line cars turned into something with a sense of humor and creativity. It's not creative to make a copy of a ca,r no more then it is to make a copy of a painting, but it is creative to make something that hasn't existed before.

3. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    It's a STOCK-CAR! pun intended...

Good that the shell is used, but I'd rather hang it on my wall, like an animal skin.
    With a sign "I didn't kill it".

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Tom, Randy originally said he would bet that it was only a GTE body on a fabricated frame. You took that bet and then proved that he was right.

???

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I wrote:
    "7440/12 = 620 CCs/cylinder.

So, I guess it's a 620 GTE!!!!!"

I was so enthralled by the beauty of this magnificent car that I divided by 12 instead of 8!

It should indeed be a 930 GTE

Appollogies,

Bob Z.

6. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    My dyslexia is surfacing again! I read his statement as " the only GTE body on a fabricated hotrod frame" when it was actually "only the GTE body on a fabricated hotrod frame"

Ok Randy, add it to my tab :(

7. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    #32 maximilian.szwaj, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is another hot rod 'candidate' on the market! Very, very sad.
    ID plate is removed.
    Max.
    P.S. how can this be possible, that this body was not used since 1961?

1961 FERRARI 250GTE - BODY.
    This is an original body that has never been used since the day it left the factory in 1961.

It comes with all the glass, a lot of chrome, seats (both front & rear) door panels, dash & a few other items.

It is currently located in Texas.

$22.5K.

http://www.dennigcars.org/1961_ferrari_250_gte__body.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    It is interesting that it has black fender vents.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #34 kare, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    Pure BS. Two-three years ago this was still a complete car in Europe. Then it was converted into a Cal Spider replica (they say) and the body's been shopped around ever since. Nobody I know seems to know the serial number, so somebody should go and inspect the body to find out what serial number this really belongs to. Best wishes, Kare

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am in Houston and emailed the seller to see if it is available for inspection.

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This car used to be in Switzerland and that's where the pix of the body were actually taken. The rest of the car was used as donor for a replica.

Marcel Massini

12. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    tx246 - If no serial number, get the body number off the hood latch or the inside of the door. We should be able to deduce the serial number from that.

I have already emailed this guy for that information, but no reply yet.

13. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007
    I wonder if people would stop doing this if neither of the resulting halves had a legal claim on being the original vehicle? If you did such things for insurance / accident repair purposes in california, you'd need to get the highway patrol to inspect the result and issue a new VIN.

Why do people do this when the technology exists to just make a new one from scratch.

Oh well, not my car, not my money so I guess it's not my business.

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ever tried to register a new car without catalytic converter, airbags, crash tests, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. Many scratch built vintage cars are still using "original" titles as it is the only way to get old technology between plates. Best wishes, Kare

15. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007
    Well, it looks like it is possible, though not easy, to register a "kit" car in california under SB100 which allows for 500 kit cars to be made each year. That's a steep hill, but not impossibly so.

Or, you could register your new "250 California Spyder" as a 1960 Hillman Minx, and keep it legit by using a couple square feet of sheet metal from said minx (and of course, the title).

In my eyes (and I'll admit, probably not in the eyes of the "law") such a Hillman Minx is a much more honest and legal entity because it isn't making any pretensions of being a "real" ferrari, while if I chop up a real ferrari and turn it into a much more valuable model, it is a slippery slope to represent it as an original and not just a recreation.

16. Installglass

Installglass Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Sean Tien
    Some would claim it sacrilege but I think it would be very cool to take that body and do a Frankenstein with a newer wrecked 456/612. I have seen some very nice American cars that put modern powertrains in older cars. To take that shell and mix the newer bits of suspension, electronics, interior with the older stuff would make something beautiful and very different. Of course this is only my opinion.

17. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You would have a vin number that you could use to put modern underpinings (550, 575, 612); or send it to Ferrari Classiche and have them make you a "new" 250GTE with that body and VIN :)

18. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I just heard from Mecum Auctions. The black hot rod is using the body from 3919GT.

19. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    The rest of the 3919 was used to make Frank Beard's "GTO Spyder". Given the ZZ Top's boys' interest in hot rods, I wonder if one of them had this made.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #45 amenasce, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest