Ferrari 250 GTO replica -any good? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTO replica -any good?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by TrevS, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrevS

TrevS Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had spotted this 250GTO replica for sale and what people thought of it?
    GORGEOUS GTO REPLICA DINO 2400 V6 TUBULAR FRAME For Sale (1971) on Car And Classic UK [C577919]

To my eye visually the proportions of the body look very close to the original car It certainly looks better than some of the Datsun replicas. Just a shame they didn't go to the effort of fitting a V12 engine in it but the 2400 dino engine does still sound nice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyPhPHEWeCg

Trevor

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Wrong forum section ???

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Goes in the crappy replicas thread.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I wonder how many Fiat Dino Coupes are still around w/ their Dino motors, whether 2.0 or 2.4?
    As to the original Poster; thank god a real Ferrari didn't lose its V-12 to this.

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Having owned a 328 GTS in Italy for four years, yes it had a V8.But....to the Italians it was still a Ferrari. Even today only the very rich own a V12 Ferrari.It's nice to think that even E.F. thought enough of the rest of us to create a V8. Try one some time. You won't be disappointed. tongascrew

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have put some miles on a carb'd 308; really liked it.

snagged from the web: "There were 1,989 Fiat Dino Spiders made, and there were 5,814 Dino Coupes made between 1966 and 1972." Apparently the 2.4 liter Fiats Dinos were assembled at Ferrari, while the 2.0 versions were assembled at Fiat.

I have no idea how many of the generally unloved Fiat Dino coupes were the 2.4 liter version. An extremely sweet motor in an unfortunate car. There must be a market out there for those motors. I actually looked into transplanting one into my old MGA, but the dimensions were impossible w/ the MGA front end more re-engineering than I was prepared to do.

As always, my main point is that Colombo v-12s should stay w/ the their original carrying cases.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Bryan, why not put a twin cam Jap crap four-banger with the 5-speed box in the MGA? That seems feasible, fun and cheap. I wonder if anyone has.

john

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What an interesting basis for a recreation.

I hate to see a Dino end up like this, but....

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    there are a bunch of Miata transplants in MGAs. There is an entire site dedicated to guys who re-engineer/cram all kinds of stuff into MGAs; Chevy v-6s, Rover alum v-8s, etc. Some very creative solutions.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    He should have used 2 Dino V6 engines... for a 4.8 litre V12. ;)

Gordon