FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 549 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Stunning car

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    The picture from your lovely book that i have referenced a million times!

If anyone ever needs a complete 288GTO tool kit, original, perfect and complete - i have one spare, but its not going to be cheap :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What happened to the all important original white paper sticker on the cover (see pic #2 in post #13703)? Seems it is missing on the two kits posted by Joe S. and Mark. And you guys talk about originality?
    Come on! You can do better than that.

Marcel Massini

readplays and joe sackey like this.
  4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is from 58329, the ex Niki Lauda 288.

Marcel Massini

6. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    does that make it correct?

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bear in mind that Lauda's GTO was not delivered till 1986, well after GTO production had ended.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  8. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    the contents of the jack bag may be correct, would I need to see some more detail to confirm for sure, looks like a later type bulb holder, later type ratchet. the jack bag itself looks wrong, it looks to be of the later thinner vinyl.
    the tool roll is definitely wrong. Wrong vinyl (original gto much thicker), the original GTO screwdrivers never had ferrari on them - the ones in the picture are much later ie 328/TR - parts missing Stafor wheel tool, window tool, torch, warning trinagle

plus the sticker say "F. 110" = Ferrari Testarossa (Type F110)

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    ok great, that could answer a few questions, so it's the only one the factory supplied with the wrong tool kit - guess that adds to the history and makes it even more valuable.

or some little tea leaf had the tool kit away, and it was replaced later in its life?

readplays likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FAB.UL.OUS.

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's factory red book certified by now..........

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Mark, relax, none of this matters, Lauda's GTO was not delivered till 1986, almost 5 months after GTO production had ended, as such, one can easily see that the standard 288 GTO ancillaries gathered for supply for the standard production cars were either overlooked in favor of what was deemed to be an upgraded tool kit or simply no longer in supply. Either way, when the car was finally handed over to Lauda in the Spring of 1986, that's what came with the car.

Do you seriously think that in Italian car factories in the 1980s, there were zero variances in the ancillaries that came with the cars?

Rhetorical question, as we know that there were.

Sarcasm aside, the tool kit alone adds no value, but, it is one of a number of things that is different about this GTO that does add value.

Firstly, its the only one delivered by Ferrari SpA in 1986.

Secondly, in has a number of small features that are materially different from other GTOs, such as the some details in the engine bay and the 250 GTO homage shift knob etc.

Thirdly, having driven @ 20 different GTOs including my own, I can state that this one is the quickest I have driven and I have no doubt the engine was 'breathed' on at Maranello by the engineers who knew who was getting the car, in fact Franco C from Ferrari SpA confirmed same to me.

So this GTO is different, clearly a special project car overseen by Enzo to make things good again with Niki, so having a different tool kit doesn't surprise.

All of the above is notwithstanding that this GTO was built for and used by one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time, Ferrari World F1 Driving Champion Niki Lauda.

I don't think anything has been replaced, the car is sometimes in my care and I rate it as one of the most original GTOs extant, right down to Lauda's EE plates which are still on the car - please see below.

Correct.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays and werewolf like this.
  13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Joe, I am totally "relaxed", always am. thanks for the lovely pictures and history. To me, like you, EE is the greatest GTO ever made, and the fact it was originally owned by one of the greatest characters and gentlemen to be involved with Ferrari and motorsport - just makes it extra special. I love the history of the Lauda car and all the detail around it.

But you can't say 100% cast iron guaranteed that's the tool kit the factory supplied with the car, unless you were there at the time it rolled out of the factory gates, just as I can't say otherwise. That maybe what was with the car when you began your involvement with it, but that's it. As we all know tool kits leave cars constantly (often during delivery or cross border imports etc) quickly replaced by dealers or owners, not always with the correct items - back in period no one really cared.

My post was in response to Marcels post of a tool kit, that merely stated "Here's one." with no reference to the Lauda car - and the picture was of a TR tool kit with a factory F.110 TR sticker on it - hence my reply - pretty simple.

It maybe the tool kit that was delivered with the Lauda car, that is totally possible, I accept that, but it is not an original 288GTO tool kit, as per all the cars made prior to the Lauda car.

No sarcasm intended, if that was the tool kit supplied by the factory, regardless of its correctness, it does indeed add value as it adds to the individuality of the car, making it all the more special and unique.

It may be different in the US, but in the UK and Europe I seen several deals fall apart over a missing or wrong tool kit. They definitely have a value, it's part of the Ferrari car culture, hence why each model has a specially supplied toolkit even to this day. Replacement cost aside, it is sometimes very hard to find the correct original items - prices reflect this, I have seen F40 kits for £14k, F50 kits for 10k, 288GTO kits for £15k, Enzo kits for £7k - go to the real vintage stuff - an original 250SWB kit upwards of £50k - hence why it is good to know what right and whats wrong with tool kits.

readplays, joe sackey and iohead like this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good points.

You are right that "you can't say 100% cast iron guaranteed that's the tool kit the factory supplied with the car, unless you were there at the time it rolled out of the factory gates" and that applies to any car that you, I or anyone else is involved with, unless they purchased it new and collected it at the factory.

The obsession over tool kits is crazy, meanwhile, I can tell you that my multiple GTO owning client could care less if it came with no tool kit at all, he owns this car for one reason only - that it was specially made for Niki Lauda, was fully documented in Lauda's name, and came with his EE plates.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    readplays likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #13718 joe sackey, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Always great to see my own photos again.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I learn something new every day, the image was supplied by the seller of the car years ago without mentioning that it was yours, see above, credit now duly given.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nice one and thank you.

22. futurelegendyyc

Jul 23, 2019
    Thank you Joe

joe sackey likes this.
  23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Amazing how a spin can be put on something purely depending on "association".

Any other example of a 288, and that kit would be classed on here as not original to a 288 and looked down upon, and the car itself seen as not a genuine production example and more a lesser, post production car. The car may well have not even been supplied with a kit and that one was sourced later on, no proof either way.

The toolkits have little value, its the added value they provide to a car which does not have one that is the bargaining chip.

Would it worry me if I was the owner, not a jot! lovely car, great back story.

Prancing 12 and 275GTB like this.
  24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I think your point is well taken, though it certainly depends on the owners style and preferences. I’m sure certain people couldn’t care less, but others (myself included) go to exhausting lengths to address every possible nuance when owning a collector car (tool kits, manuals, keys, etc.). I appreciate that most people are not as obsessive about these things as I am, but I wouldn’t consider my cars as totally complete without them.

275GTB likes this.