News

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It would hurt if they were painting over the original paint, but if it's already a repainted car, I don't see the harm. Anyone who will buy it in the future will have the money to bring it back to factory spec. I like it that the owner wants to live a little....

2. simpen

simpen Rookie

Jun 14, 2016
    Interesting thought! They are original only once, but it is generally frowned upon to repaint in a different shade, I wonder why that is. A repaint in the same color only creates the illusion of originality :)

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Four Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Most GTOs still have original paint to a greater or lesser extent, IMO if it has 100% or even 70% original paint, it is a crime to repaint it, especially another color, and even more so one that has nothing to do with Ferrari SpA's color palette of the period.

It also doesn't speak to much respect for the original artisan's intent, or impeccable taste, especially considering that GTOs are multimillion dollar cars. If you want a play color experiments on Italian cars, perhaps use a FIAT, or a Lancia Delta Integrale.

I agree with the idea that a future buyer will have the funds to bring it back to factory spec, but only if he is able to acquire the car for @$300,000 or $400,000 under market value, which underscores how much you hurt these car's value by repainting them an oddball color - ask me how I know.

I disagree that repainting a car an unusual color (always done to gain popularity amongst friends or additional Instagram hits) is in any way living a little. My idea of living a little would be shipping an original red GTO from, say, Europe to Jacksonville, Florida, and driving it with your significant other clear across the USA on the 10 Freeway to Los Angeles, California, check into the Beverly Wilshire, spend wildly on Rodeo Drive, then do the trip up the coast on California's famed Pacific Coast Highway, and end up at the legendary Pebble Beach car weekend. You can then tell everybody: "oh we drove our GTO from Florida, did you know it's only 2,737 miles?". That would be living a little, in the spirit Enzo intended.

A repaint in the same color is performed when necessary, and is a nod of respect to the original artisan, plus, it ensures a very valuable car remains valuable. If the repaint is done by Ferrari SpA's Classiche or a noted Coachbuilder in the same paint code, it can make the car just as valuable as an original GTO.

JOEV and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Video or it didn't happen Joe ! Show us how it's done !!

joe sackey likes this.
  5. joe sackey

joe sackey Four Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It hasn't been done yet, but it should, that was simply my suggestion for a way to live a little with these cars without ruining their identity.