FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 581 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I don't see anything negative about the car being polished up, it looks good and I am sure it drives as it did so outside of the price premium it's win/win

Acacg likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As time goes by I am more and more of an originalist. If a car does not need a restoration I'd rather not see it get one. To me Moss and Jenkinsons #722 looks the way it should, still grimy as when it was in the winners circle at the MM. While Manny De La Rossas' Barchetta may have taken it to the extreme how many perfect 166's do we really need?

While some might prefer how it looked when it started a race than when it finished, I may not agree but will not argue that point, to each their own. I do feel compelled to speak out when turned into some level of cosmetic perfection never achieved in their time. We should leave that for Chip Foose. Lauren Bacall later in her life modeled for a famous furriers catalog and was later asked her impression of the finished product. She said "I'm mad as hell. They airbrushed out my wrinkles. I earned them, I'm proud of them". Little wonder Bogart loved her. She was real.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I guess this topic is important enough for Pebble Beach to create Preservation Classes.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    FCA has done it for quite some time. The overlap of people have helped create an appreciation of the importance of such cars.

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What is being 'preserved' there? Does a 180 mile car look the same as an 1,800 mile car and is an 18,000 mile car on equal footing in 'preservation' if it is made to look like the 180 mile car?
    Sounds great on paper...

Boomhauer and Prancing 12 like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Maybe you should do just a little research and have a modicum of understanding before asking dumb questions.

7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    That's a really interesting thought experiment. Assuming all else being equal, does a 180 km car beat a 1,800 (or 18,000) km car in the preservation class, simply because it is more original, i.e. closer to how it was delivered when new? Or are points awarded for a car enduring more use while maintaining a preserved state?

As they say, there are no stupid questions, only...

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All the information is in the public domain for anyone genuinely interested. Mileage is never a consideration in any of the FCA national concours events.
    Rampant cheating is present in the events of those that do consider it. .

And yes there are stupid questions. Usually asked by those with no real interest in the answer.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A higher mileage car should indeed show more character and wear, but I think the point of preservation is to maintain original colors, specifications, finishes, textures etc.

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I don't know if you have any particular antipathy for the question askers, but it seems to me, as an interested reader, that you have a lot of the answers. As someone who represents the judges here, would it kill you to inform us who are reading about it? Not everyone has the privilege of your experience, why not share it since you're a participant here anyway? As I see it, it makes for a more informed audience (again, beyond the person who originally asked the question), which in turn might just become a more appreciative audience, thus leading to better questions.

Just a thought.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When asked in a constructive fashion for help or information I have little issue. But when asked with such obvious disdain borne from willing ignorance I have little time for.

Rules for IAC/PFA, ICJAG, FCA and I suppose Pebble Beach as well in so far as they are different are all available on line and can explain more accurately and in greater detail than I ever could.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    OMG Its going to shrink.

Those mirrors still make me crazy.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds, NürScud, roma1280 and 8 others like this.
  15. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    That’s fantastic. GTOs must be driven !
    I put the megaphonos back on mine, it sounds so good. Night and day compared with the original exhaust (which is properly stored of course!)

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    BtvFerrari likes this.
  17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    One careful owner...............the rest of them maybe not!

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    joe sackey likes this.
  19. Doug WG

Doug WG Rookie

Jul 26, 2005
    Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has actually run a tape measure (very carefully) over a GTO? The Ferrari stats all say 1910 overall width, but I have just measured one that we have in at present and it actually measures 1855 some 55mm narrower, I did the same to a 355 Spider that we have also and it is 1850 and the stats say 1900, again some 50mm narrower ? To be clear, we laid the tape on the ground just under the back of the rear tyre and sighted up vertically to outer most point of the rear bodywork, might have been out by a couple of mm but not 50!

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did you account for rear/side view mirrors

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

21. luka

luka Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luca
    Acacg, joe sackey and of2worlds like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    One owner car.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey and of2worlds like this.
  23. Doug WG

Doug WG Rookie

Jul 26, 2005
    The mirrors don't actually stick out that far, and they are offset left to right, however one would usually fold them in to put into a transporter and thus are usually not included in max width stats, but I will measure today, this could be the discrepancy. Cheers

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I wonder how many 1-owner 288 GTOs are thought to remain?

25. Doug WG

Doug WG Rookie

Jul 26, 2005
    Okay, so today I measured the mirror width, tip to tip and on a slight angle as left is offset to right, distance 1860, so still 50mm short of 1910. I then remeasured both front and rear, Front 1800, Rear 1855, and now mirrors 1860, I have no idea how the stated overall with is 1910. Is anyone able to confirm or shed any light? Regards Doug