Ferrari 312 F1 Replica Project | FerrariChat

Ferrari 312 F1 Replica Project

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by mdsassaman, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Love it. Any details ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    That’s great I’m sure you can not wait to drive it. Hope you post a video of that

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    This car was described as a Formula Vee or Super Vee but from the information I found it was an Indy 500 Parade car owned by a member of a club in Indianapolis Indiana. It has a Flat 6 Cylinder Air Cooled Engine (Corvair). The engine was made to run in the reverse direction with a new cam and distributor gear so it would work right being in front of the transaxle. The transaxle is Volkswagen and it is a four speed transmission. It has a chromed wishbone, coil over front end and a four link, coil over rear end so it is similar to the Ferrari 312 I was trying to emulate. My plans for it were to make it a replica of my favorite Ferrari which was the 1967 Ferrari 312 F1. I am making it as a Tribute to Lorenzo Bandini who died as a result of a fiery crash at the Monaco F1 race in 1967. I modified some of the fiberglass body to look more like the 312 and I built a three piece cover over the engine which includes the white "Spaghetti" or "Bundle of Snakes" exhaust piping which is a signature item of the 312 F1. I also built the 12 Velocity Stacks and Valve Covers as part of the engine cover.
    My plan is to use it as more of a Show Car than anything else. I don't think it would pass tech inspection to track it but it would sure be fun to drive it in a paced parade lap on a track sometime. I still have some detail work to finish up but I hope to show it for the first time at the May 2021 Penn/Jersey Concours Event as Display only.

4. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Awesome please update when u can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I love it, put some signal lights on it and use a real Ferrari V12 motor !! , and register it as an experimental car, and drive it on the street !!!!!! Forget parade laps !! R U kidding me lol

Thank you

6. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    I drove it for the first time today and it is quicker than I thought. I just too a lap around the block and then made some adjustments and modifications. So far I love it.

crinoid likes this.
  7. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    ginoBBi512 likes this.
  8. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  9. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    montegoblue and Cqd24 like this.
  10. Cqd24

Cqd24 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Very cool project!

11. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    Well, I think it's time to sell this project car and move on to something else. If anyone has interest to add this Replica 1967 Formula 1 car to their collection please let me know. I am asking $9,000 or maybe an interesting trade. I also have an all aluminum tilt open car trailer for this at additional cost. email [email protected] or 610-451-6784

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    Lots of interested people but they seem to want if it's Street Legal???