Ferrari 348 - Red brake light and hard brake pedal - NO BRAKES HELP! | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 - Red brake light and hard brake pedal - NO BRAKES HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve Marler, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Marler

Steve Marler Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven James Marler
    This is my first post on here - I own a 1995 Ferrari 348 convertible and the red "Brake" light came on the dash and the brake pedal became rock hard.
    Brakes are pretty much inoperable - probably 5%

This has happened 1 other time while I was driving - pedal goes rock hard and brakes are pretty much gone! That is a great feeling to have when you are driving a very expensive car down the highway. Got it back to my shop and a fuse was blown.
    ((PET PEEVE - how can a .10 cent fuse operate the ENTIRE BRAKING SYSTEM ON A $100k car! - INSANE!))

We have replaced EVERY single fuse under the front hood and no luck.

Please help any ideas????
    Thank you very much
    steve

2. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Better to post this in the 348/355 section
    Have no experience re yr problem

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Steve

If you haven't already downloaded/got a copy of the owners manual have a look here:

http://workshopmanual.com/ferrari/348

According to page 74 the "Brake failure Light...

It comes on when the fluid when the fluid level in the reservoir falls below minimum or when there is insufficient pressure in the booster"

It comes on for a short time when the car is started for self diagnostic purposes."

When you turn the ignition so the dash lights up but you don't start the engine do you hear the pump buzzing for a few seconds?

In fact if you remove the brake\clutch master cylinder and do the above you can actually see the level drop down as it is sucked into the system by the pump.

If I remember correctly when that light comes on you've got about 5 goes at braking before failure (but don't quote me!)

Is the 10amp fuse your talking about the "test" fuse in the bank of 4 fuses by the ABS computer (not supposed to be fitted for driving -just for diagnostics)

BTW someone with what appears to be exact same symptoms as you (they said a relay):

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?47507-3-things-to-look-out-for-in-your-348&highlight=brake

4. Steve Marler

Steve Marler Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven James Marler

Wow that sounds exactly what is happening to mine! Thanks for link! 30 amp relay that could kill you when it goes out.

5. Steve Marler

Steve Marler Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven James Marler
    Ok thank you!

6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Normally the brake system behavior you describe is related to a mechanical or hydraulic/vacuum problem. It would surprise me if the fuse is the root of the issue.