Ferrari 348 vs 328 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 vs 328

Discussion in '348/355' started by Gangsta, Mar 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gangsta

Gangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Hi,

Looking for my first Ferrari. My dream car is the 348 but I read that the 328 is a more reliable car. Any comments?

Thanks!

2. Volair

Volair Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Carmel, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #2 Volair, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    I do not want to sound like ****** but this subject was discussed here dozens of times. Did you take 5 minutes and search the forum archives first before asking the question? A year ago I was in same boat as you and with some searching I was able to find MULTIPLE answers to your question. So if you know what an acronym RTFM means, I propose you learn an another one: RTFFA.

3. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    #3 surfwolf, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Actually it is the exact opposite from your assessment. The 308/328 have significant electrical & noted fuse box issues & cooling fan problems that either have been fixed or need to be fixed. The 348 is a very robust Ferrari & lots are used as a daily driver. So the 348 is newer and can usually be purchased with lower miles than a 308/328. Also the 308/328 is not offered in a true convertible, only the very noisy targa top (air leaks due to age/poor fitment). Both are Ferrari's so which ever you choose will be a good choice. Get what you like, BUT BUY THE BEST CAR you can find! A non-sorted Ferrari can be a major cash drain due to the dreaded Ferrari tax on parts. Good Luck!

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Volair,

What a warm welcome that was! :rolleyes: :(

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. Volair

Volair Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Carmel, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bart
    He's a "Gangsta" - he can take it.

6. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ferrari of Houston has one.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    328 all the way. 348 is nice, but it pales in build quality. Just shut the door on a 328 and compair it to how the door shuts on a 348. Bank vault vs chicken coup.

Maintenance is far more affordable with the 328 also, and the values of the 328 will exceed the 348 by a fair margin in the near future. You could very well own a car that pays you to drive it.

8. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    How about performance? The 328 does not have anywhere near the HP that a 1995 348 has. And a nice well sorted 328 will cost significantly more to purchase ( up to 20K more for a car with twice the miles). I have driven both cars & never felt the 328 doors were any better/different. Could just be your opinion? I think all of the controls for heater/temps & switches/seats are very dated on the 308/328. Also with the 10+ years age difference you have to add suspension/bushings/engine mounts etcetera to the equation. If build quality was superior on the 328, why all the electrical, fusebox & cooling issues present?

9. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    This is like comparing a 348 to a 360. They are so totally different in styling, performance, technology, design and layout. The only thing they have in common is they are made by the same company. I don't understand how reliability is the factor. Surely you must like the appearance of one over the other.

This is completely untrue. I have heard this before and my car, 348TB, shuts like aforementioned bank vault and always has. I'm sure there are poor examples of any car you look at.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Opinions are so biased here the best thing you can do is ignore them and buy what you want. Just make sure you have the car gone over professionally and that it's in good shape.

11. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Drive both and then decide.

They are ferrari's so both can be unreliable and costly to fix.

Both are great cars, but visually the 328 is Sophia Loren to the 348's Sandra Bullock.

12. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah, but the 348 has the best steering in the history of motoring.

Standby and several articles will be posted to support that claim, followed by several comments about hairdressers for anyone who has a different opinion...

For me, of the two, 348 all the way.
    You just have to be prepared to put up with the inferiority complex of some of the owners.
    God knows why...

13. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy

****t

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    But you have succeeded :D

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If your "dream car" is a 348, it seems you should buy that.

16. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's ****. One T.

Catch up. If you can.

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Let's try to be a bit more amicable, please. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This.

Regarding the bank vault / chicken coup doors comparison; first time I've heard that, and quite frankly I've never had an issue with my 348's doors.....feels like a bank vault to me.

19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    When I was in Sy's 348, everything about the car felt very solid. Cannot relate to the chicken coop comments at all.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    My 348 feels more sold than my Honda Accord and definitely more reliable than my Range Rover.

21. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    My 348 has been pretty bulletproof, very few issues! I love it. A 328 has it's appeal as well. You are the only one who can make the choice. You have to love the strakes, I do! It adds to the exoticness of it. Very few cars in this world can do it and get away with it. But what a pain in the butt to clean and polish! :)Look at the Lambos, they can sport any color and know one cares, it's still sexy.

You also have to look at what you plan to do with the car. Will you drive it frequently, or will it be an occasional thing. Personally, I drive mine at least 4 or 5 times a week, I can't get enough of it. The older a car is the harder it is to source parts. Pick a car that you are willing to put a lot of effort into. I personally do all the work on my car, it gives me satisfaction knowing I have done the work and it only runs as good as I put into it! They really are affordable, if you are willing to put in the effort, you can have a car that is 100%. That's how I like to keep mine. If something doesn't work, I fix it! And Ferrarichat has been an invaluable source of knowledge. I love the 348 Brotherhood!!! Even own a shirt to prove it..

Remember, it's a Ferrari, no matter what you decide! You will still be the envy of all your friends, if that matters to you. And you to can have a big smile every time you walk out to your garage. It's a feeling you can never explain!!

P.S. F1 season starts in less than a week!! Forza Ferrari!

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anything is more reliable then a range rover...not a fair comparison. Get what you like. If the 348 is a dream, then live the dream.

23. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I chose a 348 my brother chose the 328. Very different cars purchased for very different reasons. I love my car and fell in love with 348s when I saw one at a young age. You obviously understand the potential cost in maintenance but also the value of living out your dream. Get whichever one you know in your heart you like the best and go from there. If you choose the 348 the brotherhood will help you every step of the way.

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, that has already been mentioned three times in this thread.

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's good advice. There are a couple of Ferraris I like the look of, but the 348 is my favourite by a huge margin. When I am in a position to start shopping, there won't be any question over which model I'll buy - it'll be a choice between the available 348s at the time.

I literally dream at night about getting into my future 348 for the first drive. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk