News

Ferrari 355 battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Francesco355, Nov 3, 2007.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You should look for heat shields
    If the previous owner was serious they would onstall these.
    Keeps the alternator temps down
    Also theres one for the ac unit
    I th8nk they are only a few hundred bucks

2. Steve733

Steve733 Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Stevo
    Well good news and bad news. He did install the heat shields but he also disconnected power from the cigarette lighter and routed it to an auxiliary USB port. I guess I could still get the voltage reading from that but I'm not sure how to without taking the panel off and just using a voltmeter.

3. Qavion

Qavion Formula 3

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you know where your rear battery terminal board (box) is in the engine bay? i.e. under the right hand side cover. The terminal board is marked with a red "+". You'll need a 3.5mm (?) allen key, if I remember correctly. If you don't have any tools other than a voltmeter, you could pull out one of the fuses in your luggage compartment and check the battery voltage going to one of those (e.g. Fuse 1, 2, 3 or 5). i.e. headlight motor and hazard light fuses.

Straight volts, however, is not going to tell you everything you need to know about your battery. Real battery testers are a little more expensive.

4. Qavion

Qavion Formula 3

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, you may not even have to pull the fuse. Many fuses have small holes in the top of them into which you can insert a voltmeter probe. Just find a local earth to complete the voltmeter circuit. There is a big earth forward of the luggage compartment relay panel.

5. Steve733

Steve733 Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Stevo
    Checked the voltage through the fuse and everything seems fine. It increases when revs go up but not more than is in the normal range so the alternator is working fine as well. Also drove the car for about an hour today and everything performed perfectly .I must say, what a truly awesome experience. The sound that that engine produces is just marvelous.

Qavion and f355spider like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just re connect the cig lighter should be no big deal, could just be a fuse because I. Do not know why they would disconnect when they could just tie in in parallel. Either way should be an easy reconnect.