Ferrari 360 cam gears locking tool | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 cam gears locking tool

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ms360, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi
    Has any one have any designs for a cam locking tool for 360 or a diagram on the cam gears specs
    Thanks Mario

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In the WSMs, they use vice-grips. Crude but effective.

3. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I can confirm this as I’m doing it to my car right now.

4. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks guys,
    but there must be something better?

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why? How is it "better"? You lock the gears in place so they don't move, then you throw a new belt on it.

If vice grips do this for free, why is another tool needed?

6. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Because I've had them move and it's a pain to put the gears back but if there's a tool to lock them in probably the chances of moving are slim

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Using vise grips is foolish as you side load the pulleys. I could probably clean my teeth instead of going to a dentist but that would be equally foolish. I'm sending Mario a set of our 355 locks. I know the clamp doesn't fit a 360 but I think he will modify or make something. He's a great guy and good customer so happy to help him.

one4torque, INTMD8 and CCRider66 like this.
  8. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks Dave, you have been so helpful and provide an exceptional service at StickyRX Refinishing Solutions.
    If your not familiar with these guys I suggest you look them up. They refinish sticky interior switches, car accessories etc which is a common problem in Ferrari's. The results were exceptional and I couldn't be happier. For those who know me well, they know I have high standards & am very fussy when it comes to my car. I highly recommend them.

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL. Like selling ice cream to Eskimos.

Factory Bulletin #303: Ferrari has determined that Dave Rocks knows better than we do. Please stop using vice grips for belt changes and immediately go out and buy his tool (which isn't designed to fit a 360 BTW).

Ferrari Letter to VRSurgeon: "VRSurgeon, we regret that after 64,000 miles and at nearly 20 years of age, with approximately 4 or 5 belt changes to the cars history.. your car SHOULD have had an oil leak or other problem as a rest of vice grips being used to replace the belts. Please go out and hit the pulley with a #4 hammer to inflict damage that should be there as a result of using vice grips. "

Here's the kicker.. if there is a failure in any way of the belt, the first thing that is asked is "Did you follow the WSM?"

imahorse likes this.
  10. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    vrsurgeon, well said. Ferrari engineering is generally well done, in my experience. I have a couple of friends that are well respected pro techs. They all use the factory procedure. Key is pressure used. Very little locks the pulleys.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    First of all, Mario asked me if the tool will work on a 360 - I said no as I had a tech try it for me in the past. But, IIRC, it was the rear clamp that was the issue and given Mario could not find anything else, he still wanted a set, which given he is a good customer, I sent them to him at no cost.

Second, If you think I designed and built these cam locks for profit, you are very miss informed.

And, you guys are priceless - I guarantee I could find a bunch of posts where you bash Ferrari's engineering but you sure like to quote it when it fits your narrative :rolleyes:

I could explain the purpose and benefits of the tool but it's not worth my time. I'll also add the same people will argue one second to not lock and swap the belts (which is exaqctley what Ferrari states to do in the WSM) and that one must degree wheel time every belt change, then the very next second cam locks are not needed, use vise grips like the WSM.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Oh, John - why don't you give a call to Tony Fernandes, the guy who last serviced your car, ask him about our tools as he bought a set ;)

97 Spider likes this.
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you Mario, it was a pleasure to serve you.

13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    About using vice grips and side loading. A paint can opener can be ground down and shaped to fit precisely as a "key" between the cams which eliminates the side loading on the cams when clamped. As mentioned above, very little clamping force is needed to lock the cams.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note I only said that is what the WSM says, not that it was the smart way to do it. As mentioned, the idea with the vice grips is to use the minimum pressure necessary, and not try to make the cogs touch.

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave, good to hear Tony bought several of your tools. The quality appears to be excellent.
    Regarding the 360 cams. Ferrari engineering on the Motors they build has been very good in my experience. A bit lacking in other areas. The 360 will tolerate lock and swap because the cam timing can be verified with an SD machine prior to and after the belt is installed, unlike earlier V8 models.
    Properly used, as a factory trained tech would carry forward per the factory WI and OPs as documented, there is little chance of damage.
    As noted by tazandjan, locking the vice grips too hard would be an expensive mistake!

16. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yes Dave you're on the money. After installing timing belts on my 360 the cams had to be dialled in by using an sd2 or sd3 scanner. If you don't dial the cams in it will cause the engine check light to come on, according to a friend of mine who works on these cars every day. PS they don't mention this in the work shop manual.

17. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Then your just spreading rumors :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding.

Can't we all just play nice and get along? I personally wanted to put a block of some sort in to locking the cams but I ended up using a pair of vice grips.
    It's really no different than the argument guns don't kill people. Well guess what? Vise grips don't wreck everything they touch either! :D
    If your not capable of using vise grips correctly, you shouldn't be messing around with timing belts. But that is my Opinion! YMMV.

18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  19. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Better than vise grips ;)

21. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Ive used vise grips on my 360 several times. No issue. The same goes for other cars.

Making a cam locking tool for the 360 is like inventing a solution to a problem that did not exist in the first place.

22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Rumor has it that using a vise grip can possibly attribute to the demise of the timing variators. Over-zealous use perhaps? Maybe. Each to his own.

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Hey Dave, I may be interested in purchasing a set of your cam lock tools (for the 355). I will use them on my 360 Challenge, which I am about to do a cam belt change on, and if your other customer could make good use of them, then I am sure I can as well with a little ingenuity - I cringe with the thought of using vise grips on the car, any car for that matter, Ferrari recommended or not.

24. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Just in the process of doing my timing belt and found a cam locker for the 360

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat