Ferrari 360 charging | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 charging

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aj360, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Ok lol probably sounds crazy .. every time I plug my ctek charger in I have bad thoughts of my car catching on fire .. I live in a condo and it’s in the car park away from me ... can these cars catch on fire from charging would like to sleep better at night when the battery goes flat .

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Id say most if not all modern CTEK chargers have circuitry that will prevent over charging. Check out their website.
    I’ve been using their chargers for 15 years and never once had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Mines new I got it this year I just walk away going please lord haha .. my first Ferrari I am getting use to it all . Thanks heaps bob :) I will sleep little better now

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had a client at one time who was an electrical engineer. He made his living as an expert witness testifying why chargers failed and started fires. According to him no matter the brand there is some level of chance.

Now, how about in your house? Cordless phones? Electric tooth brushes? Dustbusters? Do any of us lose sleep at night over them?

An airliner can crash on your house too.

Bob in Texas likes this.
  5. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Well said man .. probably just overthinking it gotta check this stuff tho could save myself a world of hurt .. it’s the only car I have had to ever recharge.. my amg”s I leave for months at a time when overseas and they start first click :D

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Everything is worth considering. We just have to keep it in perspective.

Aj360 likes this.
  7. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Very true mate :)

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rifledriver has it right. In the universe of possibilities, it can certainly happen, and has. But is it common? No. I have seen online photos of a few cars burned up from the battery tender failing and catching fire...but the tender was stored inside the car. Maybe you can rest easier if the tender is on the garage floor. ;)

Aj360 likes this.
  9. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Yeah man I just dangle mine out the window Has rubber stoppers so it sits well... mines at the workshop now getting a major service and some mounts done.. 100% rite tho anything’s possible but chances are slim ;)

10. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    A good way of connecting a charger is using the 8 foot extension wires that CTEK sells. Then the charger can sit on the concrete. Also remember that the trunk needs to be latched closed so the computers will go to sleep. I measured 700ma draw after one hour and 42ma(I think) with the trunk latched closed. And lastly there are a bunch of Bluetooth battery monitors that draw one milliamp and the app on your phone will warn you about when to charge your battery. They are about $28 and the app is free. And you will know how the battery is doing then Image Unavailable, Please Login the charger could be used half as often. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat

Aj360 and f355spider like this.
  11. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    I disconnect mine if there is an electrical storm in the forecast.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #12 f355spider, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Great post Jeff. I've debated getting one of the battery monitoring devices, but haven't for two reasons:
    1) It adds another draw on the battery (though very small)
    2) Though I may not have to use the battery tender as much, the who point of a microprocessor controlled battery tender is you can leave it attached, without worrying about overcharging or damaging the battery.

BTW, I do use extension cords on my battery tenders, as I now have them mounted on the outside walls of my garage. Easy for me to see the status lights when I walk in. The Granite Battery Saver brand actually come with a 10ft extension as part of the included wiring hook ups. For my other, I just bought some 16ga wire and made one