Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek307, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Apparently you did not read my reply. I also find it very curious that out of your 22 posts most are on this topic...Hmmmm perhaps a plant for someone?

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Your paranoid dude. And your reply is worthless

bellwilliam and 285ferrari like this.
  3. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Great job !!! I did mine by myself too !!! I got some medical alcohol (100% pure white alcohol) and some kitchen paper towel !!
    I tried it on a small area and it worked !!

So next I did the ashtray, fantastic results !!
    I also did the center console where the hazard lights are, without doing the buttons in order not to lose the scripts !!
    Finally, I did the door handles with amazing results !!
    I did not touch air vents, nor the steering column !!
    I figured the airvents are not that bad, and nobody touches them !!
    Maybe I do the steering column sometime !!

Very satisfied with my results !!!
    Try it carefully and be amazing at how nice the surface is without the black sticky substance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    All you have to do is email, call, or otherwise contact Dave, and he will shoot you a complete price list for your car, with every part he has done for that model. I had one, or maybe a few, not listed, and Dave would provide a quote before I committed to parts not on his price list. Fully transparent!, nothing like what is described above. Was it costly? Yes, but I knew up front, and that was my choice as I wanted that particular car perfect, and the workmanship did not disappoint.

On my daily driver Land Rover i cleaned some sticky switches myself, and I am pleased with the results for what I was looking for - didn't want sticky fingers every time I or a passenger adjusted cabin temperature - lol...

Dave rocks likes this.
  5. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    @ar4me how do I know if Dave would give me the same price list as the next guy who calls? @Dave rocks, why don't you post your prices online?

I don't have a dog in this fight. But others are right, it seems bizarre to not advertise pricing.

MJGinTX, bellwilliam and 285ferrari like this.
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tom, we have a price list for every model that we have done. We add to the price list(s) if we come across a part that we have not done prior, so they can be dynamic, although most models are complete now.

Why would we provide a different price list from one customer to the next? Respectfully, I find the suggestion offensive. We have nothing but a stellar reputation and nothing but extremely happy clients.

We like to engage with clients personally and would rather have them call or email. Our system has worked very well for us.

7. Affordable Supercar

BANNED

Aug 20, 2018
    LOCK decals for the door handles are available on eBay

bellwilliam likes this.
  8. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    I'm new and don't have a dog in this fight one way or the other, but I don't think Dave deserves any abuse he's getting. I cannot tell you what a legendary pain in the ass any kind of automotive recoating is, and he's doing it on comparatively frail plastic parts. No harsh strippers to help the process. One slip sanding or keeping the air around the finish clean and it's lights out; you're not shooting a blend into a 2" switch if a hair falls on it, you're redoing the whole piece.

While I agree that "call for price" is an antiquated business mechanic that turns me off as a millenial, he is outrageously open with his methods and his results. I mean, he did the buttons for an Enzo for crying out loud; if a higher quality refinish was available, a person rolling in a $2.5-5m car would get it done. So it doesn't make sense if you're the 10th owner and drive your car in the snow. No harm in it being out there for the people who want it.

bergxu and Dave rocks like this.
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This is the reason we invested $70,000 into a custom, 2-booth / clean room system. Low gloss coatings cannot be buffed so we can only rework a part if we get dust in the finish. Even with our new system, dust is still a major issue. On larger parts such as steering covers, we often need to apply 3-5 coats (2 is standard) to achieve a dust free finish.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bergxu likes this.
  10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Even with listed prices, how do you if the next guy doesn’t get a discount, or a discount bigger than yours?

285ferrari and tomconte like this.
  11. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    @Dave rocks , no offense intended. Very impressive facilities.

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We only offer discounts to 3 shops: One based on the volume of business and the other two because they are friends of mine and provide me technical support. However, we are rolling out a dealer / shop program which will be based on business volume.

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you.

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I can say from personal experience that Dave from Sticky Rx is a professional transparent guy whose shop is the best in the business. He will gladly give you an individual estimate based on the work required for your particular vehicle. Your interior pieces will be returned to you in perfect new permanent condition actually much better than Ferrari provides. Sticky Rx has done the work for 2 of my cars and I couldn’t be happier. Truly exceptional refinishing and professional courteous service.

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    This thread is turning into an argument between vendors, i didn't make it for that purpose- so please get back on topic people!

one4torque likes this.
  16. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Can't believe people can get so heated about sticky buttons, lol

one4torque likes this.
  17. Affordable Supercar

BANNED

Aug 20, 2018
    [...] Everyone in the streets and the windows said, "Oh, how fine are the Emperor's new clothes! Don't they fit him to perfection? And see his long train!" Nobody would confess that he couldn't see anything, for that would prove him either unfit for his position, or a fool.

"But he hasn't got anything on," a little child said.

"Did you ever hear such innocent prattle?" said its father.

The Emperor shivered, for he suspected they were right. But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all.

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    LOL

19. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    As has been said previously, different folks have different budgets and different expectations on results. If you're happy with shiny, glossy buttons that don't look original, good stuff! Who cares what other people thing, as long as you're happy with it.

For me, if I'm going to the effort to pull all of my interior apart, I'm not interested in just cleaning the parts. I want them to look as close to new as possible. Based on that, I sent my stuff to Dave at Sticky RX and had nothing but stellar customer service. Pricing was provided up front as were time frames and other than a small charge for some repairs which were quoted up front and optional, there were no surprises.

No disrespect to Robbie or Lorenzo or anyone else doing this, I'm certain they also do great work. It's nice that there are options out there for everyone, but there's definitely no need to get heated or cast aspersions

DefunctNeurons and Dave rocks like this.
  20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

FYI my buttons aren't shiny or glossy as my car is a 360 which the paint under the goey stuff is the flat matte black.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's actually not. It's a semi gloss and look at your mirror control - you don't think that is shinny?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    To compare my home job with your work is not what this thread is for, there is no comparison, your work is great and makes the car look better than new , i said that 100 times already!

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tarek, it's all good and I was only responding based on Marshall's comment and your response. Again, my comments are in the spirit if technical accuracy so folks that read this thread are aware of the pros and cons of various methods, DIY or otherwise.

24. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    And sorry if you mistook my comment about glossy as a statement on your specific work, it wasn't intended that way. You've done a great job and deserve to be very proud. I have seen many other instances with very shiny hvac controls and window buttons which was what I was referring to in a general sense

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I've heard so much about sticky buttons . What makes them sticky ? Dirt and grime or something else . Unfortunately , I'm being serious . LOL