Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek307, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ferrari like some other manufacturers put a coating to give a slightly soft Velvet feel but unfortunately it doesn't stand up to heat and touch

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

2. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Thank you !

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The coating is called a soft touch coating. Many manufacturers have used it as well as manufacturers of consumer products. Many new parts in boxes will get sticky. Time is the main factor for failure but other factors accelerate it.

4. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Soft touch coating.

Good planning. I'll watch out for that.

"Time is the main factor for failure"

5. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Now I fully understand the sticky button deal. Today I took a road trip up to Cleveland ,Ohio to look at some 430's and 458's at a well known Exotic dealer . I wanted to sit in the only 430 coupe they had but it was sold . The salesman nicely obliged and allowed me to sit in it and I ran my fingers across the ashtray/console panel and it was all soft and gooey . Now I get it and being a pro I didn't say anything but I feel bad for the new owner . That really does suck to think that situation will probably need to be corrected .

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I wouldnt worry about sticky buttons. Buy the car you want, This thread is about cleaning sticky buttons yourself. and majority of the time it can be done yourself without spending 3 or 4 grand

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    You get what you pay for. You can do it cheap with rubbing alcohol or a little cheaper with piss and vinegar. The outcome is more or less the same. Or you can get professional do it for you for much better results. There too you get what you pay for. Both StckyRx and SNM give better results than any DIY I've seen, but StickyRx work is better than OEM and justifiably priced accordingly.

Raconteur, Kevin R and Dave rocks like this.
  8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had good results with cleaning myself, except for the door lock levers.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. SuperF

SuperF Karting

Jul 27, 2016
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Full Name:
    Lou
    Hello
    It's been 2 years since your 1st cleaning treatment in 2018 and I am interested in knowing whether the buttons have become sticky again, got worse than before the 1st treatment, and/or if additional treatments had to be done some time after your 1st treatment.
    Thanks!

10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    They never became sticky again and remained great looking, its all good still, I was just with my buddy that bought it from me last year a couple of days ago and saw it.

SuperF likes this.
  11. SuperF

SuperF Karting

Jul 27, 2016
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Full Name:
    Lou
    Thank you for the update!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    no prob, good luck.

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I followed tareks thread and did my buttons at home.

I also sprayed some rubberized bumper paint on the door latches for the oem look.

they are holding up well after a year.

just ordered The eBay door latch stickers.

All the sticky button vendor squabbling just shows how much margin is on the service.

armedferret likes this.
  14. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I'm in the process of doing my ashtray, got all the sticky goo off and it is nice and clean. Curious to see what folks have been using to paint after removing the sticky bits?

After doing some research looks like folks use:

Tamiya Spray Lacquer TS-82 Black Rubber

Rust-Oleum 263422 Automotive Enamel, Matte Black

I am thinking of going with the Tamiya - anyone else have any specific recommendations?

15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    If you are not too aggressive with the sticky removal, a very thin film of the original stuff will still be on the plastic part. Enough to still be satin black and not shiny but not thick enough to get tacky again. The only white labels that I lost were arrows on the AC vents I had a portable speaker from Sharper Image or Brookstone that went sticky and gooey and I practiced on that. 99% alcohol is what I used. Brushed on with and then lightly scrubbed until it lifted in tiny clumps. Then wiped off gently leaving a very slight film of the thinned sticky stuff. If too much was removed and it looked too shiny, reapplied some of the removed goo leaving on a very thin film. It looks really good and is holding up so far.
    I suspect that many, if not most, Ferrari owners do not like working on their cars. But, for some of us. it is just plain fun and has little to do with saving money. Why pay someone else to have all the fun fixing your Ferrari. While it is not about money, does seem to make more sense to me to spend money on ball joints, bushings, tires, etc and do the easy cosmetic stuff yourself.

16. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Yeah good call out. I tried this and it still looks a little off, so I went and took off the entire coating, did a light sanding and spray painted. Looks really good, and quite pleased with the results will post pics

armedferret likes this.
  17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    You are correct- and to be clear, this thread pretains to cleaning the 360 buttons, i know 430 & 458+ are different and you could lose labels and make stuff glossy, but on the 360 thats not the case you only lose the 3 arrows on the vents thats it & nothing gets shiny except maybe the mirror control part a bit.

ps: the buttons don't get sticky again because once the coating is removed, finito, its gone..i just saw the car the other day (a friend owns it now) , its been over 3 years and it is still just fine

Performify and one4torque like this.
  18. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    My thoughts exactly. I would much rather spend the $4k or whatever sum on mission critical items; Timing belts, clutch, manifolds, etc. The alcohol looks like a solid solution and if one so desires it seems that you could re-coat with some of the cited paint.

19. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not true. Depending on what someone uses to strip the parts, you could lose ALL the icons, lettering, etc on all the parts. I have seen it hundreds of times from guys who wanted to save a few dollars and "do it themselves" and caused way more damage to the parts then ever needed to be. Using any mild degreaser, alcohol, etc will damage parts if you do not know what your doing and use to aggressively. And depending on how they are stripped, most parts get very shiny if you strip too far or very dull. There is a fine line between doing them properly and going too far and ruining them. I had two 360s in the shop last week and both had to be stripped totally different. What works on one may not work on the next group of parts. No such thing as one size fits all when it comes to doing the parts properly.

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    my thread here tells you what to use and step by step / plus I had no idea what I was doing and didn’t even remove the parts from the car and the results were pretty good as posted in pics

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  21. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Problem is, you may have varying successful results and post them. The next guy tries exactly what you did and ruins his parts. I have seen it happen a dozen times or more. Guys who got advice or saw a thread on a forum and did what they said and now they have to buy new parts because they ruined theirs. My point is, fixing these parts is NOT a one size fits all. What may work for you, may not work for the next guy. To each his own, my point is be careful and understand, you may destroy your parts in the process, that is from first hand watching it happen over and over again.

22. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Could you post pics of the destroyed parts? How were they destroyed? Now if someone attacked the plastic with acetone, that will do it for sure.

23. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I've been using Black Plastidip as the final layers. Gets rid of the shine, nice consistent color and retains some of the factory feel. Ive had one car and its held up nicely for about 3 years now.

Tarek307 likes this.
  24. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Parts have been repaired and refinished - There are alot of before and after pics on my IG and FB pages

25. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I meant pictures of the "destroyed" parts that could not be refinished and had to be replaced. Seems like it would be hard to destroy the plastic unless harsh chemicals were used.