Ferrari 360 Modena - stock or modded | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Modena - stock or modded

Discussion in '360/430' started by zipperkarting, Nov 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    This exactly what needs to change. This was carried on through generations of collectible Ferraris. As I said earlier, it's not the case anymore. So the unrealistic and boring expectations to mass produced Ferrari's (in Ferrari's standard) should shift and it starts with current owners giving realistic expectations to potential buyers. Otherwise, this old chool stigma with Ferraris (keep it collectible) will be a never ending cycle and I wont be suprised that it will drive the value down 6 feet underground to entry level Ferrari's. Not cool guys.

Look at Lambos, have you seen them drop below $60k? Nope because current owners don't drive the value down by giving potential owners unrealistic expectations to their entry level, Gallardo. Ferraris? YUP! Actually even saw older Ferraris at around $40k couple years back. That's not cool and it's a product of the Ferrari concourse expectation that still going around today. Not cool, not fair for the marquee.

Mickster and Lotaz like this.
  2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Amen brother.

My take: Don't cut anything (talk to the guys that had Kremmer or DP cut up a 10 to 15 year old Porsche factory Turbo and build them a "custom" Porsche Turbo in the eighties for 6 figures) .
    Don't do a custom paint job.
    Don't toss out the old parts that were removed when you changed out to the parts you wanted on the car
    other than the above... Do make yourself happy.
    Do what you want with the car but try to exercise good taste.
    Do drive the car often, hard, and with respect.
    And most importantly to hell with the "next guy".
    Now I understand that at my age I can say this. Younger folks are at a different station of life. I get that.
    But really, if you are worried about getting your money back on your 360 or 430, you're living the wrong hobby.

Cheers!

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don't care what anyone else does.
    My car, I prefer mostly stock. Although I give myself a pass for mods that either come from Ferrari (ie CS grille, different wheels), things that truly are an improvement over stock ie Hill engineering parts, exhaust, or things that significantly make the car more liveable ie modern stereo, cup holders etc. I stay away from aftermarket "look at me, bling!" parts, or wannabe racer parts eg tow hooks, as I feel it cheapens it. I bought a Ferrari not a Macarbonio Liberty X or something.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    To each his own.

I'm one of the old - Get off my lawn! - guys, so I won't do any mods that aren't with Ferrari OEM parts. Removed a too-loud Capristo and replaced it with a valved Challenge Stradale exhaust, for example.

Removed aftermarket sound system. Particularly irritating are speakers behind the seats where the engine access port is. This just strikes me as dumb. In five years, I never turned on my 456M's stereo!

I like OEM wheels too, with the modulars my favorite for the 360 (My car came with them). Easiest mod to undo, so whatever floats your boat.

I will buy the first pair of tan Daytona seats I find. Likewise for a set of yellow calipers. A front clip recessed for shields would probably cost a fortune, but I still might do it.

I prefer the one-color look, so not a fan of Challenge grills, but they do reduce operating temperatures, and I'm in Texas, so I'm thinking. Is it possible to color match them? No brainer if I can get a yellow one.

The 360 is probably the most modified Ferrari model. So much so that's it's really hard to find an unmolested one now.

dang2407 likes this.
  5. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I beg to differ with the "aftermarket" reference. Not all aftermarket gives the "bling" look. For example, matte black aftermarket wheels or plain silver are tasteful mods and not even close to a "bling" look.

I'm with you on the wannabe racer parts like tow hooks stuff or similar. It's fugly (no offense whoever has one here). Unless it's a real 360 track car, their a no-no IMHO.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well for what its worth after the 308 the 360 was the first modern Ferrari I fell in love with. Now I started looking at them when I started looking and was vetoed in favor of a California but when i was looking these are the things that mattered didnt matter to me. I looked at tons of cars, many of them had the challenge grills and different rims. A smaller portion of these had updated stereos that had Bluetooth and nav, and a few even had the CS tcu. nearly all had something or another done to the exaust, or needed new headers. out of all these cars the cars i turned away from were ones with spotty maintenance records, cars that were not available for PPI and Ironically enough i was turned off by cars that didnt already have the challenge grills replaced since I personally thought this was a better looking peice and added more cooling to the engine bay. Also saw a few with what I considered questionable exhaust upgrades. All the cars that had "aftermarket" rims I just didnt like the looks of, but it wouldnt have been a deal breaker, just thought nearly any of the OEM rims were far better then any of the aftermarket ones i saw. I still like the 360, and may still end up with one day.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I like that "get off my lawn" reference, reminds me of Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino movie.

Don't be suprised, it will be a trend with every entry level Ferrari models now (not just 360) because they are mass produced (again in Ferrari standards). It's happening with 430s too, actually there's a lot more modded 430s than 360s. Of course, these exclude the special edition samples like Stradale and Scuderias. You dont see much of them modded because they still have the true exclusivity factor.

The days of all Ferrari's models being exclusive is the thing of the past now since the day Ferrari executives decided to sell more entry level models to keep the brand afloat. Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Make your 360 your own. Who cares what others think. They don’t own your car. The only person you need to impress is yourself. Do it because it makes you feel good.

I have 26 mods on my 360 and I believe they are classy, not trashy mods. If someone else doesn’t like ‘em no problem. The car is for me not them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +360
    I don't believe there's that many people giving it the ricer look with parts from Amazon or Fleabay. I consider my mods tasteful as well such as my blackened wheels, yellow tach and CS look-a-like instruments. I personally prefer the 430 vents so I installed them as well as the 430 mirrors and diffusers. All for my driving pleasure. No one else. And as has been stated 1M times, 360s aren't considered to be 'collectable' at this point in time. All my mods are removable, btw

Drestless likes this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I kind of find it refreshing that folks want to modify their 360s. While in the Porsche camp, I found those that worked on their cars were far more interesting to talk to than the ones that bought the car, never so much as lifted the deck lid and had no idea what the displacement of the motor even was: "three something" (true story).

It was once said in Panorama (the Porsche club magazine) that there are two kinds of owners: Those that want to actually drive their cars and those that want simply to be seen driving their cars.

gtwhaley, Drestless and Bas like this.
  11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This is the part of the show where I write:

Yes.. yes.. everyone says I'LL NEVER SELL MY CAR. And then they find a deal they can't refuse.. and then have to sell their cars. Of course they complain that nobody gives them a market offer for their car, and it sits, and it takes 5 people on here saying "you might want to switch it back to stock" but they don't listen and it sells below market price, etc. etc.

As much as the idea that modding the car shouldn't matter, it does and it only does when you try to sell it. :)

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Same is true with Ferraris. There are the camp that will fix it themselves and then the camp that will only have a Factory trained mechanic work on it. Ferrari owners tend to know more about the marque than Porsche owners in my experience. They also tend to have less attitude IMHO.

What bugs me the most are the ones that lease new who NEVER wave, and the true enthusiasts that have a classic Porsche or who work on their cars who DO WAVE when you drive past each other on the road.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The gentleman who had a non-Challenge grill 360 told me heat control wasn't an issue in his in the summer. I like the heat control aspect personally. Never overheats in traffic with the AC on in the middle of SC summer. You could buy a repro and paint it.. use it then put the OEM back on when you want to sell it.

G. Pepper and Drestless like this.
  14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Amen. Well said.

15. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Exactly !!! Heres a couple of my previous modded vehicles . I have always posted every mod I do to my cars because it gives others something to go off if they are interested in modding theirs . We have a quarterly exotic and supercar meet here in El Paso . Most guys show up with their bone stock cars but there are a couple of guys that show up with mods . There is a guy that shows up with his air ride , ADV.1 equipped Huracan and he always parks next to mine .

Exactly !

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drestless likes this.
  16. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Wow. They look nice and will look nice even with a Ferrari.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Trev's 360 is by far my favourite 360 and that's heavily modified....Much lighter than a 360 CS, manual gearbox, revs higher more power...BUT, what makes the difference between it being such a well put together car or a tasteless turd with some parts stuck on is that everything is extremely well thought out, and in many cases OEM parts used (whether from street or race car)...and when certain parts where below expectation, replacement parts where made, sometimes to a much greater standard than what Ferrari has produced (such as the carbon doorhandles, the CS kit made from dry carbon vs the fibreglass/carbon hybrid and so on)!

Mickster likes this.
  18. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    This is nostalgic to me. I've had several Porsche 911's before I got my Ferrari. I worked on my Porsche, tastefully modded it and went to a lot of Porsche cruise.

Yes, I waved because modded is more welcomed in that platform.

In my modded Ferrari, I think twice to wave because it's just a different culture. But if I see other Ferrari owner wave I do wave back.

19. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #44 Drestless, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    This is exactly why the values is dropping for entry level Ferrari's, not because it's modded but it's the unrealistic expectations current owners tell potential buyers and sellers what to expect with an entry level - mass produced Ferrari (in Ferrari's standard). The "all Ferrari is collectible" bubble needs to end, it's not the situation anymore. It's making the marquee boring and dropping the values down for entry level models.

Younger folks ignorantly ask us (me and three of my friends with modded (tastefully) Ferraris) "Wow that's LIT (new slang for cool for those who don't know), is that a Lambo?"? This is because when they see a cool Ferrari or any exotic with tasteful mods instantly in their mind "it's a Lambo". The younger generation now will have a dream (like we did when we are young when all Ferrari line-ups are truly exclusive) that one day they'll have a Lambo because that's what they see as the cool car when they were growing-up. Aside from it's obvious impact to current Ferrari used market already, this will backfire even more to the coolness factor and valuation of the marquee in the future when they grow-up. All they remember is "I want a cool Lambo", Ferrari for them is mediocre because of all the stock "not cool to them" samples they see when they were growing up.

I have friends who are 10 or more years younger than me and all they say is, "when I make it in life I want a Lambo". When I ask them why not Ferrari, they sarcastically say "it's for old people who play golf". Don't shoot the messenger here. Guys, not cool...not cool. This is our doing. Look at this video from Alejandro dressing up (sort of mocking) how people see majority of Ferrari owners are, look at 1:18 to 2:05. To tell you the truth though, I'm with them with this boat shoe stigma. Nobody whose up-to-date with fashion wears them now, a penny loafer is cooler.

Sorry for being blunt. Please don't get offended, just stating facts. Peace out Curt! Let's make the brand a dream for future generations again. :cool:

Stealthssfc likes this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think the very fact that I own a Ferrari shows how far downhill the brand has gone...

In all seriousness, they exclusivity of most models have definitely waned in recent years and being a mid 30's stuck firmly in the middle or lower upper middle class (for now), I do exhibit that. They are much more friendly to DIY due to engine access, many of the parts are downright cheap compared to other exotics, especially if you are willing to do some legwork instead of running to the dealer for every hiccup. I do think that is why the F cars bottom out much lower than Lamborghini before slowly climbing back up into exclusivity.

I'm 360 Canuck and mkzhang like this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude you know me. :) You know I AM that guy with the loafers and the sweater. I wear old spice. :) We all in it together. :)

Besides.. it's who you hang with. :) The peeps under 20 I know would NEVER say "lit" thus they aren't into the Lambo. :)

22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Entry level? Not that special?
    Not one other Ferrari has passed me in the almost three months I have been driving my 360. None. Not another 360, not anything. And I live in a town/city that has money in it. I've seen a Rolls Dawn, a Prosche GT and a few other notables. A trashed out, pimped out, 360 -- I get that. Nobody's impressed. A nice well kept car that still looks new--- doesn't say entry level to me.

Just the phase "entry level Ferrari" is somewhat of an oxymoron in my book.

23. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #48 Drestless, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Every make will have an entry level
    It's chukas or chelsea for now since it's Fall already. A bit chili for loafers. ;)

I was referring to folks in their 20s hence the "Lit", I would've said "Fire" if it's below 20's. But yeah, the marquee is losing the younger demographics and they are the future, which can help keep the marquee thriving in the future. I love my Ferrari; hence, I'm really passionate about my comments here. This "All Ferrari are collector" has to change, to make expectations more realistic to the 360 / 430 (notice I didn't say entry level, I noticed I ruffled some feathers here ;)).

I know mature folks would be impressed with all stock samples but we need to be open with modded (not ricer) as well so there will be owners that can make great samples that will give the younger folks something to dream about when it comes to Ferrari or else folks who wants to mod their car and not be dinged will grab the bull by it's horns instead (if you know what I mean) where this is more welcomed. A per Alejandro, "it's a dying breed". I hated it when he said that but I see his point, if everything is stockies in the platform.

That's my 2 cents on this topic. I actually given too many 2 cents already. :D

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U likely are a great fast driver because maths are maths 430’s,458,488, lambos are all faster cars... heck even the corvettes and camaro 1le is faster too.
    Ferraris are not entry level of course but in each family there is a cheaper model... the mondial and 348 back in the days.
    The 360 is the first of the 2000’s so it is hitting its depreciation which is why it has become entry level but doesnt mean it is an entry level car per se.
    I would definitely love to have one but I chose a TR because they made me dream yet they are a lot slower than yours and the bills are not much fun to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtwhaley and Drestless like this.
  25. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam