Ferrari 360 New Owner DIY maintenance thread? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 New Owner DIY maintenance thread?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Wayne 962, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Thought I would start a thread (didn't see anything in the archives) of the stuff / items that someone might want to replace if they are a DIY person and just picked up an almost 20-year old Ferrari with dubious maintenance records? Happy to help, I've written a few books on DIY Porsche, but as expected, these Ferraris are just a bit different.

Fuel Pumps - these were updated from the older style to the newer "beige" style, and from what I've read, it's recommended that an older unknown-history car have these replaced. These are the part numbers for COUPE (Modena), these appear to be unique to Ferrari, and only available from the dealer (or a reseller who probably got them through the dealer network):

Right-side fuel pump, PN 239814
    Left-side fuel pump, PN 239812
    Fuel pump seal/gasket, PN 181681 (need qty 2)

Pricing seems to run about $700 or so for the set, cheapest place I found was Scuderia parts - they quoted me about that amount, + shipping from Europe.

Spark Plugs - PN: NGK PMR8B. The original plugs used on the car were the PMR8A, but the 8B has both the anode and cathode plated with platinum, so those are the "Improved" version to get, supposedly. A set of eight runs about $100.

Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF) - two of these, BOSCH part number 0280218012 - you can find these on the Internet or eBay for less than the Ferrari yellow-box versions. I'm fairly certain that the Ferrari ones are manufactured by BOSCH, so buying the BOSCH brand would make no difference over Genuine Ferrari. Just bought these for about $230 for the pair.

Coils - eight of these, other people tend to think that they crack and fail over the years, I've seen that happen on some of the older Boxsters and Carrera 996s, so I imagine it would happen here. I believe they are very similar to all the other BOSCH coils - just the mounting bracket at the top is different - I suspect the internals are the same. BOSCH PN: 0221504015. I just found some in Europe for $333 for a set of eight.

O2 Sensors - there are two front ones and two rear with different plugs. I suspect they are the same sensor with different plugs.

FRONT - BOSCH PN: 0258007001 or 16196
    REAR - BOSCH PN: 0258006064 or 17001

I'm not 100% sure about these, as the plugs look different on almost every page. Someone else might chime in with some input?

Intake Manifold Gaskets - Ferrari Part Number: 172544 - I wish someone made an updated / stronger version of these, but these seem to be it. I suppose one could custom cut their own gaskets, but that seems a bit overkill. I'm going to smoke test my car, but I will probably replace these anyways, doesn't seem too difficult. About $2 each or so from Ferrparts.

That's what I've got so far, maybe someone else could chime in with some PNs for the air filters and the oil filters and anything that they might think should be changed on a 18-year old car?

Thanks!

-Wayne

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    well, besides all fluids, I might look at the heat exchanger, cam cover seals, Ricambi has the air filters and I am not comfy with the oiled kind myself, drill a hole in the diffuser for transaxle filter cleaning, new leather straps in front trunk.....factory ones are garbage, it goes on and on eh? Cheers!

3. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Good on you Wayne for DIY info.
    Got time on your hands now that Pelican has been purchased?
    <joke>
    I too just buy filters from Ricambi.
    Please post the P/N for the coils if you would. I agree, if Beru / Bosch they are likely identical to P car ones with differing caps.

Cheers

Craig

4. Pairodice

Pairodice Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    Gwynedd Valley, PA
    Full Name:
    George
    I recommend the Hill engineering shift bushing, for the gated variety. Huge improvement for 60 bucks from Ricambi #174967.

George

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Coil part numbers were posted above. They are on their way from Europe right now.

-Wayne

6. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Since you are working on your vehicle, I would suggest you buy the updated version of the shop manual. It's available from sellsspares (no affiliation) on ebay. It has better repair info and color pictures. I paid a 100 bucks for the download and it is well worth it.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Can you post a link..it would be greatly appreciated by the people on the forum

Thank you

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Not at all the same sensors.
    The front ones are wideband sensors, while the rear ones are narrow band sensors.

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Thanks for the advice, I do have all of the manuals, parts diagrams, basically every piece of info one can have on the car. It's a requirement for every car I own, whether it's a Porsche 962, the 1958 Daimler Ferret tank, or this Ferrari 360! :)

-Wayne

10. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    I'm sure you would have a shop manual, but there are two versions available. The more common shop manual is the older one with black and white grainy pictures. Ferrari has put out an updated one with more detailed repair instructions coupled with clear color pictures.

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Good for you...I keep a living spreadsheet of all the part number cross references between OEM and Ferrari. Makes the Ferrari ownership experience a little bit easier....

12. zone1

zone1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    SF Bay
    Do you have a link for where to find the updated workshop manual? Would really appreciate it!

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This must be the one, @AD170 could you confirm that this pdf manual is searchable? Unlike the one that I have, which is a pain to navigate thorugh because it's just scanned pages...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ferrari-360-Spider-Workshop-Manual/112853604759?hash=item1a46995997:g:6ZEAAOSw2DFZrgG1

14. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thus far DIY on my 2001 360 spider:
    Motor mounts. CS mounts from Eurospares if I recall correctly.
    Ball Joints. Hill Engineering ball joints, cement and gun from Ricambi.
    I also cut a 2"D hole in the rear diffuser to access gearbox filter. Sourced 2"D cover from eBay.
    Plan to do elastic strap repair as detailed at the Aldous Voice site. Spider top repair.
    MAF replacements sourced from Rock Auto. Correct Bosch OEM part.

15. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Yes, that is the updated Service manual. I am sorry I don't have the technical skills to post links. To answer your other question about scanned pages, it is searchable, with a Table of Contents in PDF format. Just to let you know, I recently bought it for a 100 bucks......

Thus far:
    Hydraulic Ram repaired by Cabriolet Hydraulics and replaced by me with their line repair system for about 100$
    AC system is a Delphi system
    Removing Dashboard to replace Vents and recover Dash is about 2 hours and you do not remove steering wheel just drop it, how to drop steering wheel is in link to removing instrument cluster for RPM color change.
    For Spider, to replace Rollover valves, raise top cassette about a foot by removing 8 bolts, very easy. Use engine hoist to raise cassette, just make sure the lift points won't damage anything.
    Hardest job, bar none....exhaust manifold replacement. The secondary air system was an afterthought and gets in the way. Use lots a different little 13mm sockets, wrenches, etc. Make sure you orientate the gaskets properly.
    EVAP system, replace purge valves, Bosch type available for 35 apiece.
    Slowdown Light, mostly wiring issues. The harness is subject to heat, clean ground points and tie in another ground if needed. Ferrari made the system too sensitive to voltage issues.
    Biggest improvement, replacing upper, lower ball joints and shock bushings. Ride height restored and don't scrape the nose as much.
    Inner tie rods available from Exotic Auto Recycler for 375 apiece. Expensive but cheaper than a new steering rack for 6K from Ferrari. After 15 years your inner tie rods are worn.
    Current project, replacing the Variable Cam Solenoids. Just bought the special tool to replace the solenoids. It's the updated one from Ferrari for 450$, not the one shown on the older service manual for 750$ and pictured in Ricambi. It is shown in the updated Service Manual. It is being shipped from Italy as soon as Luigi in shipping finishes his cigarette and boxes it for me. Call Zack at Parts from Ferrari of San Francisco, is very knowledgeable and they have an EBAY store with competitive prices.

RedNeck likes this.
  16. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    On Ebay it's $300 for Coupe and $200 for Spider. How did you get it for $100?

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Great info! Thanks!

Buy it now or BEST OFFER. Trust me....they will decline your offer and then send you an email to a link with a better price. Hint: offer them 50 ;)

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Explain OEM( other manufacturer) and Ferrari ?

Also, Mick's garage has many 360 parts cheap.

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I will use ignition coils as an example:

OEM: Bosch part # 0221504015, $50
    Ferrari: part # 177074, $250

Same exact part.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Should that be a sticky like for 512 and others on forum ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk