Ferrari 360 spider digital clock | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 spider digital clock

Discussion in '360/430' started by dicin, Nov 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dicin

dicin Karting

Sep 6, 2009
    Montreal / Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have a 02 360 Spider F1 which i have just purchased from a certified Ferrari dealer. Is it normal for the clock to be so dim? Is there a way to brighten it up?

Thanks,

2. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes it is normal.

No you can not brighten it up (not easily)

3. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    I do a lot of custom stuff at my shop and if it can be done my techs can do it. What part of the world are you in Nick?

Scott/ la jolla audio

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Scott
    Could you please elaborate as to cost and process

5. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    I would estimate $125 to $200 parts and labor ...assuming you would be sending the clock.
    If you want to bring the car we can handle the r+r and modification in a few hours.. There whould be an addition r+r charge of $55.00.. Let me know what you would like to do.

Scott la jolla audio

The address is 5161 santa fe st san diego ca 92109 ph# is 800-467-6545 m>f 8:30 to 5:30

6. dicin

dicin Karting

Sep 6, 2009
    Montreal / Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks Scott for the prompt response.

I am on the east coast. I will call you so we could chat. Maybe sending it in would be the best.

Thanks,

7. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    No problem Nick/ talk to you soon!

Scott

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nick- Instruments on the 360 work just like the 575M, according to the OM. Push the button on the left for less than 2 seconds until you see the arrow display on the right and adjust with the right hand button until you like it. Works on my clock.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The clock is not controlled this way (at least in the spider, not sure if the coupe is different).

It seems to me this is the cheapest digital clock I have ever seen.

-Jim

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim, Nick- Sorry. Looked at the OM and you do have a completely different clock. It says the clock is dimmed when the position lights are turned on and it is in a completely different location near the rear view mirror. The instrument clusters are so similar between the 575M and 360, I thought the clocks would be the same.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Yes, it' pretty poor, kinda' reminds me of some 80's Fiat effort!

12. dicin

dicin Karting

Sep 6, 2009
    Montreal / Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Gents,

The procedure is the same to increase or decrease the visibility.

Everything works well except the clock near the rear mirror. I brought the intensity to 30 and still nothing on the 24hr clock.

The dealer told me that it is standard on a 360.

I was wondering if there was a quick fix or simply, that is the way it is.

13. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #13 jjsaustin, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You may want to find out who the manufacturer is and see if they have an updated one that may be a drop in replacement.

Another option might be to find a replacement from another manufacturer.

You might be able to make something like this work. $5.99
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=1101002620&statenval=1101002620&productId=2017578&shopid=100001&pageid=12&TID=8014524F&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-27710G&zmam=73771597&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=27710G

-Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    With the intensity all the way up, and the roof up mine's not too bad.

The "problem" (IMHO) is that with the top down there's just too much ambient light which renders the thing completely useless.... Fortunately, I have a datalogger mounted just ahead of the shifter which I use in "drive" mode to display the time...... [Not an inexpensive way to get a working clock though! ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #15 Apple Sauce, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    My clock was replaced at the dealer for becoming dim and actually cutting out, no lights!
    After the clock was replaced with a new unit, the clock no longer cuts out, but begins to lose backlight brightness within 10-15 mins. As the other guys have stated above, the clock only has two backlight brightness states, —it is brightest without the headlights, and dims with headlights ON. The dashlight dimmer controls don't effect the the brightness of the clock. However, the backlight on the clock intensity goes down independently of headlight, as if the headlights are ON, which makes it very hard to see in sunlight, and worse with sunglasses. ...and that is where the problem is for me.

Haha!! Who needs this clock? That's why they sell such large diameter Panerai watches!!!

I have a three theories on why the clock display dims:
    1) Clock IC heats up from the heat of the lamp and reduces drive to the display segments.
    2) The heat from the lamp is heating up the display by itself thereby reducing intensity.
    3) Combo of the heatsource effecting IC and display

Here is a fix that pops into my head to combat this heat issue, if it exists.
    Locate a hi temp rated 180degF (above temp of lamp surface?), clear plastic sheet, 0.5 to 1.0mm thick . Cut the plastic sheet to fit, you want to figure out a way to bisect the area in front of the lamp and the display. This plastic forms a heat-shield keeping heat away from the display enough to minimize the problem. Be creative on how to keep heat away from the electronics.

Digressing: I remember seeing the inside of the clock, it is an old school design. PCB is mounted inside bottom of a small box. The display is mounted to the front leading edge of the PCB at 90 deg. The lamp is mounted in the back of the box opposite of the LCD and connects thru a bayonet style connector for >easy< replacement. The lamp illuminates the interior if the box as well as shoots the light through to the back of the LCD display. The small lamp, I believe, is the culprit by heating up the entire contents of the box, the PCB and display.

I haven't made time to try my theories and fixes, but I may make time during the T-giving day vacation. let me know if any of you try out my fix.

&#8212;Vic