FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I have created a step by step process with pics and instructions on how to do the top up yourself for problems with your spider roof not raising or lowering correctly:

To first check level

Step 1: remove the cover. RHD car is behind the drivers seat / LHD car is behind passenger seat. (cover has seat belt going through it). its clipped in place by 4 plastic clips .... just pull it off.

Now you can check your fluid level. the liquid reservoir is not easy to see as its right at the back of the assy. my level was below half way.

========

Now if you need to top up the liquid proceed as follows:

Step 2: Remove the lower securing 10mm bolt (this hold the whole assy in place.

Step 3: Remove the lower gold outer bracket 3 x 10mm bolts .... this is for easy access to remove the assy

Step 4: Remove the upper gold bracket 2 x 10mm bolts ..... again for easy access to pull out the assy

Step 5: Now the complete assy is ready to be removed from its seating position to enable easy filling. The complete assy has 2 hooks at the top right hand side (looking directly at it) that hook over 2 lugs with rubber gromets. You have already removed the lower securing bolt in Step 2. So now gentlly manover the assy out from inside the housing, its quite tight in there and takes some patience.

Step 6: Firstly put lots of towelling down just incase of any spillage ... you dont want to ruin that nice interior !!!.
    Now remove the filler cap (its the center one of 3 see pic) this is removed using a 5mm allen key)

Step 7 : ( You could do this before hand ) Using a funnel pour the Mercedes ZH-M fluid in to your squeezy bottle. put the squeezy bottle cap back on and attatch a tight fitting rubber tube.

Step 8: To make life easy and limit the possibility of spillage I propped up the complete assy at 90 degrees. I found my small bathroom bin was the perfect size for this (it just happened to be handy at the time !!).

Step 9: Now take your squeezy liquid bottle, insert the rubber tube into the filling hole on your cars reservoir and slowly start to fill with your merc liquid.
    Using my method I had NO splillage at all.

Step 10: screw filler cap back on and reassemble (reverse sequence of above)

Finally when all back together raise and lower the roof a couple of times to get the fluid working around the system.

You will need for this job:
    1x 10mm spanner
    1x 5mm allen key
    1x squeezy liquid bottle
    1x tight fitting (to squeezy bottle) rubber pipe
    1x funnel

and most importantly : Mercedes ZH-M fluid (part number for uk if you have problems is 000989910310) cost for 1 litre was £10.46 GBP !!!!

Any problems PM me, Ive taken lots of pics.

Good luck
    SpiderScott

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #4 spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    cavlino and robertjskelton like this.
  3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Finally the whole process took about 30 mins.

cavlino and Serge Mallat like this.
  4. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    Thanks, great post. Did you check the level with the roof up or folded down
    kind regards,
    Andy

De Janus likes this.
  5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    hi andy

i checked mine with the hood down .... good question though, I wonder if it makes a difference to the fluid level being up ??

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Sweet! A 360 enthusiast is joining the Brotherhood!

7. rjperry555

rjperry555 Rookie

Nov 22, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    R.J. Perry
    Started reviewing Ferrari Chat again. This is great information! The pictures are very helpful. Thanks

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great post respect for taking the time :)

9. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    The second photo has a Ferrari wood part not identify at the base.
    With Chinese words on it?

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    ha ha ha sorry that was just a pair of chop sticks i used to point to the part ..... not ferrari, but wouldnt suprise me if you could buy a set made by ferrari for $500 !!!

cavlino and robertjskelton like this.
  11. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    To what level do you fill the canister to? Thanks guys.

12. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    great post more info to add to my file..... nice looking bathroom bin..... cheers for the effort

13. leeb4ker

leeb4ker Rookie

Feb 10, 2008
    I too had a very similar problem with the roof ,and was hoping this would cure it and save me the £3000 the dealer had quoted to fix.
    It didn't,but what i did notice when the unit was out after topping up was when i tried it,5 of the 6 pumps got warm and 1 didn't so i swapped the one that didn't get warm over with another one off the unit and the same thing happened in the same place.
    Any ideas on a fix?

14. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    How much fluid is supposed to be in the cannister or to what level do you fill it to? Thanks

15. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just topped off my fluid and the top is much quieter (from mid point to ~1" from the top). Previously, it would be a little finicky (top would stall and not go up the first time) if I left it down over night. I did not use a squeeze bottle, just a funnel and plastic tube.

Excellent write up.

16. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    In the picture of step #5 you will see a little eye circle on the plastic reservoir canister, in the middle of the eye is the reference mark where you fill the reservoir to.

cavlino likes this.
  17. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That is where my level was at originally (in the middle at the mark). The top was loud and since I topped it off (~1" from top) it operates more smoothly and reliably per my previous post.

18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    back in Jersey
    I just wanted to thank the OP for taking the time to post this thread. I used a contact lens solution bottle w/ no rubber hose. The refill bolt was in there tight but in the end everything worked ou, thx!

19. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I was told this is a closed system so where is the fluid going? Is there a leak somwhere?

20. Jhand

Jhand Rookie

Jun 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John
    My top is not opening all the way, stops near the end of the cycle. Checked the fluid and it is low, but not empty. Could this be the cause? Why do you use a Mercedes fluid vs. Ferrari? Is this what Ferrari recommends?

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    its the same unit used by mercedes.

cavlino likes this.
  22. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Its the same fluid but much cheaper ...ie not Ferrari prices !

cavlino likes this.
  23. Jhand

Jhand Rookie

Jun 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John
    I did this hydraulic fluid add this morning, though instead of the "squeezy" bottle and the tube, I am in the South, so I used a cajun food injector to get the fluid in the canister. (it is a large syringe used to inject basting juice or gravy into smoked or grilled meats). That worked fine, but the allen filler bolt was a ***** to loosen (finally got an angle and used a hammer to get it loose, though thought it might break the allen wrench). Also, broke all of the plastic pieces that hold the panel in place when I tried to re-install the panel.

Roof still doesn't work, but I know now that it is not low on hydraulic fluid. I actually filled a little above the fill line as it was tilted when I got it far enough out to access the screw. Also, grab a blanket or pillow to kneel on as it is hard to get comfortable. Another tip, the tool kit has a 10m wrench if you can't get your socket in the cavity to remove the lower bolt holding the fluid assembly. The pictures and instructions were a big help and this was a little more difficult then it looks, but easier than a dealer trip if it works for you.