FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    #51 Lrob, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Eureka...I think it worked.
    I used a bottle intended for ketchup which is perfect for the job.

Thanks to all on this thread.
    I tipped the reservoir bottle and that permitted me to add fluid.
    I ran the top up and down a few times with no hesitation as before. The reservoir bottle is quite full, just above the max line. Not sure how they came up with the min/max line, but....

I suggest using plastic gloves when performing this maintenace. The reservoir unit is a bit oily which is probably why it loses fluid over time. Not sure where it goes, but just a few ounces makes a difference I guess.

Also, the button for the convertible top is now lit in spite of the light switch being off. I wonder if there's feedback to the plug-in-service module for Ferrari to see if it was serviced.

I guess I'll put it on the charger, just in case there's a battery drain.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #52 Falcon Wing, Aug 13, 2014
    Checked my fluid today, and it was a little low, so I topped it off.

Here is how I do it.

*Bought a set of "stubby" hex wrenches (~$15 on Ebay I think)
    *Bought oil can from Oriley Auto parts ($10)

After I pop off the leather cover, I move the cable that is immediately in the way by removing the single bolt, and move it aside.
    Stuff the area under with shop towels in case of dropping screw, or fluid seepage.
    Then use the 5mm Stubby to remove the "fill screw."
    Use oil can with tapered fitting (which it came with) that fits the fill hole very flush.
    Start to fill with 3-4 squirts, slowly back out the nozzle to release pressure build up (since fitting is so snug).
    Continue to fill until fluid reaches upper mark on canister.
    Replace fill screw, reattach cable, replace leather cover.

Whole thing takes ~5min. I removed the canister the first time I refilled, and had a tough time getting it back in correctly. Now, with the stubby and oil can, that is not an issue.

3. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    Amen

4. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    Thank you very much for the info. I did it this morning...

5. bellaf360

bellaf360 Guest

Jan 21, 2015
    how full should the 360 top resivior be with fluid????

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is all here. Check out the picture in post #45.

7. Phill_Speakman

Jan 10, 2015
    Blackpool
    Spiderscott saves the day …. however, could anyone enlighten me as to why i can't use any hydraulic fluid for the roof ?? its low on fluid stuck halfway and only place open today is motorcar or halfords both sell hydraulic fluid … could anyone help

8. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Does anyone know if the 430 top fluid reservoir is the Same and can use the Same procedure to fill canister as the 360 described here???

thanks
    Mark

9. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    I am unsure if you can use "any" hydraulic fluid. It is a Mercedes mechanism so possibly that's the reason.

Also, the Mercedes parts guy was sympathetic to my plight and sold me the large container for $25.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The 430 and 360 share the same top.

11. beatbrother

beatbrother Karting

Aug 24, 2009
    Zonhoven - Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #61 beatbrother, May 18, 2016
    I just purchased an F430 spider a few weeks ago.
    I noticed that the roof makes quite a lot of noise and it didn't really go that smoothly but It worked.
    Now after a few weeks of use it got worse and now it makes a lot of noise and it only goes to the first stage. Then I have to wait some time and re-press the button again, but sometimes it doesn't work at all anymore and sometimes very slow.
    I came upon this thread and I checked the Hydraulic oil level.

The first picture is taken when at rest for some time and with the roof closed :

Now when I open up the roof to the first stage, the oil goes down to this level.
    See picture 2

I'm not technical experienced, but could it be fixed by filling the oil or could it be something else ?

12. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    I'm not familiar with the F430 setup, but it appears your fluid level is low.
    I would use the Mercedes fluid I posted earlier in this thread, follow the recommendations and it just might work.
    Let us know.

13. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your level is a little low to begin with (enough, in my experience, to cause the problems you're experiencing). The fluid itself is much darker than that in my 360. I don't know whether that suggests a problem or not.

14. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Can you see the level from just removing the panel?

15. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    #65 gsworld2014, Jul 23, 2016
  16. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Can't see the circle that is used as the indicator. Do you have a pic of that?

17. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Check post #45, it looks like a bulls-eye target, dot in the center and an outer ring. Center is the nominal level with the top stowed away. The top of the outer ring is the maximum level and the bottom of the ring is the minimum level.

18. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Check post #45, it looks like a bulls-eye target, dot in the center and an outer ring. Center is the nominal level with the top stowed away. The top of the outer ring is the maximum level and the bottom of the ring is the minimum level.

19. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    #69 Silber, Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks everyone for a very useful thread. The roof of my new 360 worked fine, if a bit slow, when I tested it before delivery a week ago but 15 minutes after collecting the car it started raining so I stopped to put the roof up... it got half way and then stopped... after restarting the car and a bit more random fiddling it finally closed!

But now it will only open to the half-way point from where the body panel should lift for the hood to go under it, though the system still seems as to work as a cable keeps pushing out. So, closing the roof requires it regathering that apparent slack before it then pulls the hood shut again. It's also possible to manually push the hood up and forward towards the closed position, before the motor takes over from the gathered position.

The battery's at 12.6v and the hydraulic fluid level was just below the minimum line with the hoof closed when I took the below pic (though when I looked again later it had somehow risen to slightly above minimum despite a cooler temperature).

Looking at the photos earlier in this thread, and given the instruction in the 360 workshop manual (taken from another thread), am I right to assume that if the fluid level should be within the 'bullseye' with the hood open and that the reservoir should therefore be full when the hood is closed, and hence I'm very low on hydraulic fluid?

Thanks of your thoughts!

20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    really good to see after 9 years my thread is still helping owners out :)

Jagman68, lrn2ride, Zub and 1 other person like this.
  21. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Looks like you are low. Get the proper fluid from Mercedes, an oil can,and some stubby allen keys and it's an easy maintenance process. See my earlier post.

22. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    Thanks Falcon Wing. Most of the advice seems to be re the fluid level with the hood open, but mine won't get there, so I'm trying to work out the correct level with it closed.With the hood fully closed, should the fluid level be in the bullseye or does the container need to be full, in order for the fluid to be at bullseye level with the hood open?

Scott, it definitely is!

23. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    The day my 360 was delivered, the top got stuck in the exact same position as yours, and the fluid level was below the circle...about 1mm. Previous owner told me to get the fluid and fill to above the bullseye, which I did, and it worked immediately after reinstalling.

I would periodically top off over the next year and a half as needed (approx 40-50 cycles), but have since had the hydraulic ram repaired and it no longer leaks....

24. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #74 Falcon Wing, Sep 30, 2016
  25. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    Great, thanks very much. I have the fluid etc so will have a go when home on Tuesday. Thanks in advance!