Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    360trev likes this.
  2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well I am actually the majority of the way through being able to offer running a customized 360 firmware on non Ferrari ECUs from Bosch of the same ME7.3 as used on the 360 so this will dramatically reduce costs. It will be game changing.

It will mean there is no reason why people shouldn't store their own ECUs away and run on backup's.

These recycled ECUs from other cars and cost used not much more than a big Mac so it will change everthing. If it goes wrong you just chuck it in the bin and buy another recycled unit. There won't be the need to try to solder one ever again

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Is Spock listening!

This is getting a bit over the top!

Holy smokes

360trev likes this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Excellent. And thank you for what you’re doing.

360trev likes this.
  5. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Man, just when you let the thread settle for a bit, you come up with some more amazing news! Hope I can help read in any fashion!

360trev likes this.
  6. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Building the programming cable with the ECU connector wired in - rather than flying leads everywhere.
    Now need to source a test ECU (victim) on which to experiment on.

Any suggestions for h/w compatible ECUs that might be eBay or elsewhere.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You won't actually need to do this soon as I've worked on the code to reflash over OBD.

If you still want to of course I'll get you the details of the one I bought. Be aware you need to fully dismantle the Connector carefully back into parts and then drill holes for the wires required on our car. Takes a few hours of double checking and general messing. Well worth it if you need to do a lot of cars, not so much if your only doing 1 car...

_TS likes this.
  8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Just read a lot of this,,,Great work Trev

9. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi Trev

OBD
    Did i understand correctly from earlier post (probably not enough beer), the ECU firmware would at least need one update to get OBD programming to be workable ?

Programming
    I have the programming cable you suggested.
    I have a OBD female with pig tail and an ECU connector with about 12" of pig tail
    - idea is to connect the OBD female to the ECU pigtail to make one neat cable including the power flying leads
    - so it can then just plug into the programming cable without any more fuss - hopefully.
    so now just a bunch of soldering and triple checking ?

360trev likes this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    PM me if you have any issues. Its quite tricky and challenging what your attempting to do so as you say triple check everything as its every easy to fry and ecu or damage the delicate pins on an expensive part. I am working on a solution that requires no bench flashing at all, directly obd reflash with no need to remove from car, even for the first flash...

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well today I did some more work on the use of the last ever production CS firmware back ported on a first generation 360 Modena...

I am pleased to report that I can now successfully do this (with NO issues and NO CEL's). This upgrades the software from a 360 Modena H-Gated car (even a very early 1999 model) to FULL CS firmware spec. Yes really. Not just a few partial maps but the entire thing.

I believe this is a 'world first' as every single firmware I have previously dumped from tuners which where 'tweaked' often only include partial CS maps and not the code itself or all of the calibrations which is important to get full CS benefits. They simply swapped over maps (or tweaked the factory maps a bit) using often WinOLS. Tools like that are ok for general purpose tuning but you'll never get the benefits I currently have now I have invested the time to fully reverse engineer the entire rom (using custom tools I've developed myself) and work out everything thats going on.

Since Bosch also upgraded the code significantly in every model year from 1999 right through to 2003 this is a bonus since the later firmware have improvements like tweaked factory calibration and power as well and bug fixes (such as better cold and warm start map calibrations).

There where various issues to overcome to get CS firmware to work on a stock 360 Modena / Spider. These included stuff like Missing Sensors. Later 360's from 2003 onward including the CS have a Fuel Pressure sensor connected to Pin F37 on Connector A of the Right Hand Engine Bank ECU) whereas older cars do not, its not used. This needed coding out to prevent a CEL.

All of the work was done using the latest Swiss Army Knife and I can happily say it a late 2003 Challenge Stradale firmware is fully working with no issues in a 1999 360 Modena 6-speed manual (H-Gated) vehicle...

At a later date I will include the option to upgrade any 360 to last firmware ever made and then from there on I will start adding features directly into the rom. There is plenty of spare space unused in there to do some newer features...

_TS, Ghostdiver, becir1 and 9 others like this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great work Trev!

For someone like me who owns a real CS, I’m curious whether you can supply a flash to prevent CEL due to exhaust manifold changes (get rid of the Pre-cats), Without effecting the Readiness Monitors needed for inspections. And make this work without the use of O2 extenders and mini-cats which are hit and miss.

Also I guess you can provide back up CS ECUs for safe keeping ?

Thanks for your effort.

Skipp

13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    He's already confirmed to me that this is already done so I'm definitely looking forward to this!

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've sent you a pm on the topic.

-- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut
    Disclaimer:
    Its important for everyone following this thread to understand that I don't condone use of Swiss Army Knife for anything illegal such as cheating any applicable emissions laws. I will absolutely not be held responsible or liable if you use this software to do anything deemed illegal in your country or state of origin. If your not careful you could damage your ecu's or worse so if your not comfortable with this please tune away now. If you destroy your engine, car, house, living things, do not attempt to apportion blame back to the author (me) of this software.

I believe people need to act responsibly and take seriously the fact that this is a very powerful tool that grants you full control over your ignition computer software like never before. Its almost like being 'admin' or 'root' on your PC. With that power comes great responsibility, your responsibility not mine. I will give you the tools to do what you wish and explain how it works and what you can technically do. Just like on a PC in fact when your the administrator. I absolutely won't try to decipher local rules governing the use of such altered software in your own jurisdiction. You will need to do your own research to discover if your allowed to alter sections of the software which would not be allowed in your state/country. Technically it can be done or disabled and its possible to do this for Educational Purposes if your interested but whether your allowed to use that on the public road is something else entirely. You need to check if that is allowed or not. Some alterations which improve power (for instance upgrades done in software on the CS retro fitted on a 360) may require you to inform your insurance company of the modifications. You have been warned!

As i understand it, there are states in USA (or anywhere else) where there isn't any issue to alter software related to emissions (or disable it completely or partially) such as deactivating cold start air injection or header cats but as I said above you need to satisfy yourself about this before attempting to do so (and that is also the case for using o2 extenders too or any other defeat device) .

1. Tuning a vehicles ECU chip should only be done if you are aware of potential consequences. And you take 100% responsibility of those consequences. Meaning whatever happens to vehicles engine and objects/lifeform that engine influences or impacts, as a result of you changing it's data, is entirely your cause and responsibility.
    2. The author of Swiss Army Knife (360trev) will take no responsibility, no financial claims, no legal matters for any undesirable results of tuning your vehicle(s) ecu's. That includes damage to vehicles engine or any other component, injured human/animal lifeform(s), death, or any kind of financial/monetary loss of your own or 3rd parties.
    3. I am not saying this to scare you. Just protecting myself in case some nutcase decides to overdo it with tuning — and realizes they destroyed their engine, and decides to sue or blame everyone but himself.
    -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut -- cut

Sorry for having to write this but I felt its important to stress this.

To mitigate against risks (as much as possible) I am doing exhaustive testing on any of the changes i am doing (even testing it out on my own car) and i only implement changes once I have fully understood how it works. That ofcourse isn't a guarentee, i am only human.

Many changes I am doing are not directly to the code but to something Bosch terms as 'Codewords' which are calibrations of 'data' which are used by their engineers to allow the code to be adapted to different circumstances so I am pretty confident (as confident as you can be) that they are safe but still an element of risk will always be present and I wanted to call this out.

Mimmo Blue, Toonfosi and MCASEY like this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Back on track...

Little bit of an update to report.

I've now deliberately kept my 360 OFF of my battery tender now for 1 month.... Literally I wasn't confident of lasting a couple of weeks previously.

In that time I've had a battery monitor keeping track of daily voltage loss and I can report after 1 month I was still able to easily crank over the engine.

The difference?

No Bosch immobilizer (completely removed), no Bosch secondary immobilizer / keyfobs ECU installed in car (also completely removed). Immobilizer deleted out of ignition ECU's.

Wow what a difference!! Over 1 month off battery tender and the car still starts!!!! Easily. In fact measured voltage was 12.6v remaining ! Not bad at all...

Mimmo Blue, tonyc, MCASEY and 2 others like this.
  16. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Wow! That’s gotta be culprit, I get 10-14 days max!

17. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Have you ever tried measuring the current draw if the immobilizer. Maybe now on a bench if you have it removed? I would be curious to how much it is drawing. I'm guessing 50-100ma?

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Jumping to a conclusion. I used to frequently go 3 weeks and often 4. It wasn’t an issue until 5-6 weeks and that was with a Odyssey 925. If you really want to know, you need to measure current draw per circuit. It is likely different in most cars.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    In my '99 Modena, the total stand-by current is 50 milliamps. The radio is 10 milliamps, the Motronics are 10 milliamps and the immobilizer is 30 milliamps.

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Many European cars also have a big drain current from older less efficient GPS/GSM tracker systems too.

Since I don't have a stereo, nor an old factory immobilizer I must be drawing only 10 ma during standby. I noticed by battery reduces by 0.03v per day...

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well great news, it looks like my immobilizer seek and destroy routine is now working on the Ferrari F430 (including 430 Scuderia) !

I just need to test it on a car now but it's finding and eliminating it in the ROMs. Both US and EU versions and even the Maserati 4200 ROM I had too ... I actually think it will work on many more cars but yet to test. Even finds it now on Alfas too

Will come back to you when I can properly test on a physical car...

Fenz, Skippr1999 and Ghostdiver like this.
  22. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    I have an idea for the list.
    Is it possible on manual cars to program so that the gauge cluster gear indicator flashes as a shift light. As you know the manual cars have the gear indicator but not used for anything.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    This isn't managed by the ignition ECU. It's done by the dashboard computer and it relies on a sensor that isn't fitted on manual box cars. It absolutely could be made to work but due to the missing sensor requires a bit more disassembly...

I'll see if I can do a patch to the dash firmware in the future if people really want this to operate...

Bwtyler85 likes this.
  24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Trev,
    How about 355 ?
    It seems you might be able to remove the same CEL and immobilizer issues. The 355 has frustrated many people over the years with the CEL stuff.

25. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Just finished reading this thread - reading it, not wholly understanding it :D

Kudos to 360Trev for this outstanding work. Your curiosity and determination to see this project through is exemplary! I have a 2000 Modena that doesn't know it yet; but when your tool is available for us everyday users, her ROM is going to be tickled a bit! IMMO-ectomy is first on the list!

360trev likes this.