Ferrari 360 vs. Ford GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 vs. Ford GT

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cyclenirvana, Feb 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    I've never owned a Ford GT but I do currently own a 360 Modena and Gallardo both F1. In my personal opinion there is no comparison. The 360 is the clear winner. It's a pure sports car with simple, precise controls, handling and power. I love the car. Good luck.

2. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Have you ever gotten a ride in one? or driven one?

3. callchuck

callchuck Karting

Aug 29, 2005
    The GT is a beast compared to the Prancing horse. The 360 is fun and nimble, the GT is more raw and a true drivers car with no assistance from any computer. I own a GT along with a few other....super fast cars. I have owned a 2001 360 that was great! Hands down the GT wins this comparison for thrill factor, attention getter and now investment if you can buy for MSRP or less.

4. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    As I have said before, if I could only have one car I would get the 360....but with the manual 6 speed...I love the gated gear box. Thanks.

5. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    I agree. I will only buy the GT for MSRP or less. And, sorry to be a snob, I will not buy one used. But I would buy a used 360. I am currently working with a couple of Ford dealers to see if they can find what I want. I want a car without the McIntosh stereo (I nice storage pocket in place of the central subwoofer). We'll see. I am also working with a couple of dealers looking for 2003-2004 360 spider. I should know in the next couple of weeks.

6. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Thanks. I tried to like the Gallardo but, in the end, it just did not do it for me.

7. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I saw a GT in person for the first time over the weekend. I don't think the GT is as good looking in person as it is in pics. One of my colleagues has one, I'd like to take a ride in it one day. But it ain't for me.

8. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    Cyclenirvana-

Why don't you post the same question over on the Ford GT owner's website: www.fordgtforum.com

Many of us own or have owned both cars. Perhaps a different perspective...

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Ford GT looks much better IMHO...will be less expensive to own...and in the long run will retain its value better...just MHO.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had the chance to pick up a very low milage 05 GT for 140K I like the way the car sounded, did not mind the looks, but I turned the car down. The fact the you needed about 3 and half feet on the side to get in a out was a problem for me. Close inspection showed not great build quality, and though I was not comparing it to anything (though I have owned 2360's), I think the 360 is a better car in regard to driver feedback, which is something that is important to me. I like the baby bull, just wish is was not AWD.

11. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    investment wise and performance wise ... FORD is a winner !

12. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    That must be a tough decision to have to make. The Ford will beat the Ferrari in performance and will probably be a better investment due to the small numbers produced. It also has a kind of 'raw sophistication' that I can't explain. The Ferrari on the other hand has the mystique and passion of the Ferrari name, and an unbeatable sound.

Having never driven either I'd choose the Ferrari in a second since I am severely biased, but I don't think you can make a wrong decision when choosing between these cars.

Good luck!

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  14. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I have owned a 360 Spider (since sold), and a Ford GT is part of my current garage. The 360 is a sexy car, sounds nice, looks good. But in terms of true driving enjoyment, the Ford GT is in another league altogether. The GT is the choice, hands down.

15. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love both cars and have always been a fan of the GT40. I am a past Ferrari owner (328GTS) and if I had the choice I would choose the Ford GT. I have never driven a 360 or the GT so my opinion is based on looks and what I have read. I also was not real happy with the cost that occured when owning a Ferrari. I dont mind paying, but I dont like getting screwed and being taken advantage of either when it came to service. Hands down I would go with the GT and if the price comes down in the future I will pick up a used one.

16. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    As the owner of Both the 360 modena Coupe(Sold The 360 2 years ago) and the current owner of a Ford GT The decision is easy buy the GT, The 360 is a Dinosaur and is underpowered. The GT has monster power 600HP and is very Docile and comfortable to drive around town. The GT is usually only Bashed by Non owners who no nothing about the car. The GT will also blow doors on a F430. Much easier to find a dealer to service the GT I had to have my 360 trucked to the dealer for service. I have never been happier with any performance car than I have been with my GT and I have owned 4 Ferrari's. The other thing about the GT is that it says "FORD" on the side of it which means pretty much everyone relates to it, unlike the 360 which everyone wanted to Key the side of. The other thing is the GT will never drop below $125K and may someday be worth alot more, keep in mind limited production and it will never be made again.

17. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Well said.

18. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've owned a couple of 360s and I had a chance to drive a friend's Ford GT on a number of occasions. The GT is very fast and looks great (gets a lot more attention than a 360 -- people go nuts!). The engine sound did leave a bit to be desired, IMO. It's a Ford Lightning engine. I have read, however, about quality issues with the car.

I think the GT will continue to rapidly depreciate below $110K in the next few years. With respect to the car "never" dropping below $125K, if you go to www.FordGTprices.com you can see the production numbers. In fact, two thousand three hundred and two (2302) Ford GTs were sold through March 2006! That's a lot of cars.

I know of one silver 05 that was offered to me for $145K. And the cars routinely change hands in the low 150 range. So it's by no means a stretch to think the cars will depreciate by 15% to 20% over the next 24 months.

As far as a Ford GT "blowing the doors off" of a 430, I have a recent Road & Track that has the cars pretty comparable. Although through the quarter the GT is going 5 mph faster. I'd like to see data on the two at a track with equal drivers. But even if it were true, so what? A Ferrari is a still a Ferrari. I love the way they look and feel. The Ford GT interior did not impress me in comparison to the F430.

I love the "Blue Oval" (I have owned, and do own, several Mustangs including a 70 Ford Super Cobra Jet 428, numbers matching, Marti Report, etc.). So I am by no means only "drinking the Ferrari cool aid". And the statement about people relating to the Ford is so true. You get some strange and not so positive reactions from people when you drive your Ferrari; even though I don't give a frog's fat ass as that's their own problem, not mine.

In short, the Ford GT is a great car. It will depreciate substantially over the next few years. So will a 360. A Ferrari 360 is a lot slower but, in my opinion, more fun to drive.

To each his own kind of fun. You really can't go wrong with either car. :)

Mike

19. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    The GT motor is a Direvative of the Lightning and the Cobra motor which has
    been a proven performer and very reliable. The GT motor will be running long after the 360M isn't. I know the production #'s 3,800 USA 100 canada and 100 Europe and 100 wrecked already because of its Monster Power in Inept hands. Don't count on below $125k and it will always be worth more then the 360 Modena. I have the R&T December 05 issue where the GT was tested in the Quarter but the F430 wasn't because the owner of F430 was too much of a ***** to run it, probably in fear it might break,So the GT stomps it.
    You may not care what people think of the F430 until your park it somewhere and you come back to your car with key marks down the side of it. Ferrari's are "Botique" cars they look good but don't hold up well when pushed hard. My 360 modena had many mechanical problems and it gets old paying $800 everytime the car has to be transported to the dealer(No Local dealer here)for service. I like the F430 hence the reason I have a deposit down on one. You have to buy a Carrera GT or Enzo to run with the GT.

20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I think the Ford is a much faster car. I just don't like the looks at all.

21. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    One: Take a basic course on the correct use of words. I'm talking basic, that's all. LOL, using the word "no" instead of "know". Good lord, my 10 year old knows the difference. :D

Two: At least read the article... the Road & Track issue is a "Sports & GT Cars" issue where the cars go "head to head". The quarter times for the 430 and GT are identical at 11.7. The 430 is faster zero to 60. The 430 braking distance is 113 ft from 60 mph. Its braking distance is 192 ft from 80 mph. In both braking tests, it beats the Ford GT. The 430 is faster through the 700 ft. slalom. In short, the 430 hardly gets "stomped".

Three: Sorry, the Ford GT is not in the same league as an Enzo or CGT. You either think too much of your Ford GT or too little of these true super cars.

Four: I don't care if people like the cars I drive, and I don't live in fear of what people may or may not do to me. If you live in fear your whole life, that's your problem. I have owned everything from a Porsche GT, twin turbos, two 360 Spiders, three 355s, a Boxer, a 32 Ford Hot Rod, a Hemi Cuda and various other muscle cars, etc., I have NEVER had my car keyed. Hey, maybe I'm lucky!

Five: I have my 430 Spider due to arrive in a few months at Lake Forest. If I am eventually unlucky, and the car gets keyed, I'll take it to a paint shop. If the car gets dinged, I’ll fix it. It's just a car, my friend.

BTW, why don't you fill out your profile?

22. Saleen

Saleen Karting

May 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    C

Atleast get your facts about the Ford GT.

1. The Ford GT motor is a completely new Ford Modular block design, which in no way relates to the Lightning or Cobra engines.

2. Despite its power, a 550hp Ford GT in stock form will not compete near a CGT or Enzo, its just not built to do so.

3. The last time I checked, Ferrari has one hell of a service program as does the Ford GT. Regardless of where a dealer is, find a Ford dealer that is certified to work on the GT, then when you do, sit down and watch one get serviced. A factory representitive from Dearborn's SVT/Ford GT program inspects every move the mechanic makes on the GT, ensuring quality repairs on a vehicle that someone probably paid twice the MSRP to acquire. That kinda of evens itself out when you consider how remote and far apart Ferrari dealers are.

23. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    This is getting Tedious, Do you own a GT?? I would think with a name like "Saleen" you would know more about Ford's but you don't . The GT has 600 HP from the factory not the advertised 550HP, They routinely Dyno at 540 HP Stock so 550 HP is bull****. No Dearborn SVT Rep inspects anything, GT dealers have certified GT Techs they service the car with no supervision.
    The difference is I drive my GT 10 miles to the dealer for service or pay the money to ship the Ferrari 120 miles each way,No comparison in service for me. So the GT won't compete with Enzo or CGT. Read this article.
    http://www.stangbangers.com/05_FordGTvsFerrariEnzoVsPorscheCarreraGT_Article.htm
    Read this article below the PICS and then tell me where the GT Motor design came from.
    http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Ford-GT.htm

24. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Here it is, read it and Weep.
    http://www.stangbangers.com/05_FordGTvsFerrariEnzoVsPorscheCarreraGT_Article.htm
    Your "Spyder" F430 would get its ASS handed to it from my GT. The Spyder is slower than the Coupe. Maybe you should run your Spyder at some track events and see how it holds up. Heres another let me know when you've had Enough.
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0506_exotic_coupe_comparison/