Ferrari 400i Ignition Lock Problems | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400i Ignition Lock Problems

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JoaoPC3, Apr 8, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoaoPC3

JoaoPC3 Rookie

Apr 8, 2023
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    João Pedro Barbosa Carvalho
    Hey guys, my first post here. I own a 1981 Ferrari 400i and was hoping you could help me with a problem I have. Basically the ignition lock won’t turn, it only turns slightly to release the steering lock but doesn’t even seem to reach the first position. I removed all the leather fittings beside it and tried to remove the lock to get it fixed. The problem is it seems as I can’t remove the lock. I saw an old post from jacques where it appears to be an easy job but I don’t know what I’m missing. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #2 raemin, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As a curiousity, our locks do seem to have an unused "1" position. Anyone atempted to use it?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The electric switch in the back of the lock is known to break internally preventing the key from turning. It is held in with 2 slotted head screws. Remove it and see if it is the lock or the switch. It can be purchased seperately.

If you need one there are junk Chinese knockoffs. Do not buy one. Get a German switch.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
  6. JoaoPC3

JoaoPC3 Rookie

Apr 8, 2023
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Thanks for the help @raemin , I will go down the same route. After dismantling the assembly found out that it was the lock that broke... anyways I'll update it here after I deal with it. just ordered the same part from OKP

https://www.okp.de/xtc2/105-115-Giulia/40-Elektrik/Zuendung/Zuendschloss-1300-2000cc-Nord-rechts-befestigt::24322.html

I'll try and only replace the internals and put it in the old casing to avoid having fabricate a new lock shaft as @OttoB did.

7. JoaoPC3

JoaoPC3 Rookie

Apr 8, 2023
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Unfortunately it wasn't the electrical part, rather the lock itself. The electrical part would have been an easier fix. I'll drop a link for the part here for future reference if anyone needs it.

https://www.okp.de/xtc2/Ferrari/40-Elektrik/Zuendung/Zuendschloss-Ferrari-1970-1990::26246.html