Ferrari 400i shock replacement | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400i shock replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KLHarper, Jan 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought I would post this up here just for info.

I had a 400i in the shop with leaking rear shocks and the actuator was also leaking. The shocks could have been rebuilt but the actuator was actually a much tougher nut to crack. The cost of the shock rebuilds as well as the other items that needed replacing was about the same as changing to standard shocks.

I ended up replacing the rear shocks with a standard mechanical system. The shocks are Ohlins and they have 150# spring on them. The blanking plate was just machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum.

The car rides well and while the original load leveling system worked well, the availability of parts has made this change practical.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very nice, would you mind sharing the part numbers for the shocks and springs? Mine is a series 1 with the magic shocks that are self-levelling with no external pump, height sensor or anything. Magic is the only way to describe them.

Schumi likes this.
  3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yes, please! While mine are functional, I'd like to know where to go when they no longer are as it is my understanding no one rebuilds them anymore.

4. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    These guys did mine

http://www.italiancarparts.com/parts/400_412.html

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes They were done by PSI Performance Shocks Inc in Sonoma CA. www.performanceshock.com
    They will rebuild your Koni shocks but if the actuator is bad the parts are not available
    The shocks are Ohlins NCJ 1960 with CX20 RX25 valving.
    The springs were actually 1200.250.0110 which translates to 12" tall 2.5" ID and 110 lbs/in - previously I had incorrect wrote 150lbs/in

These were custom made so that they bolted into the car in my shop, without modification, by PSI. They were a bit pricey with a total cost of around 3200.00, but then again just the ohlins and the springs accounted for 2k of the bill and the remainder was in the custom fabrication. The blocking plate was done by the guy who is taking over my shop. He is a pretty good machinist and it took him about an hour to complete and we charged 100 bucks for it. If there was a real demand for the blocking plates we could probably make 10 in an hour 20 and get the cost down to 40 or 50 bucks.

As a side not I am retiring out of the business but have a young guy, Jon McClendon, who is taking over for me, and he is pretty good. His background is with BMW's and he is an A&P certified aircraft mechanic. My shop is an Italian car shop with most of my work is on Alfa Romeo's but we do a fair amount of Ferrari and vintage Lancia work. Jon did most of the work on this 400 where I just gave him guidance. So if you are in the Raleigh Durham area in NC and need assistance give Jon a call. We currently work on cars up to 360/456, Jon can be reached at [email protected].

Gio007 and Schumi like this.
  6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    KLH
    What year is your car? Series I or II? Top of shocks are different. Please post a pic of top of shocks.
    Ken

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It would have to be a series 2 because of the hydraulic suspension.

8. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It is a 1984 series 2 car, and it is not my car it is just in my shop getting repairs.
    I don't know all the intricacies of the 400 series of cars, so I can't tell you differences between series 1 and 2, but my understanding is that this suspesnion started in about 1979 and carried over to the 412. On earlier cars like the 365 2+2, which I think most of the 400 evolved from, they used a single shock on the rear suspension, and this is probably what is on the earlier 400 series but I do not know for certain.

Kevin

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The Series 1 cars top has an eyelet, like the bottom.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Kevin,

Indeed, the 365 Gt4 2+2 has only one shock (with spring) per corner, however, the rear suspension also includes an "automatic" load leveller which looks like a shock (no spring) (see pic of my car prior to its suspension refresh, leveller is on the left towards the rear of the car). The 365 and the 400GT cars use the same load leveller which is made by Koni specifically for these Ferrari models. The load leveller is self contained and, to date, I do not know of any shop or even Koni themselves that actually offers to rebuild these. Consequently, some members have created a manually adjustable setup to replace the load leveller should they no longer function. If you do a search on here you can find the threads on what others have done.

Cheers,

Sam

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is important to know while the load leveller has no spring it is still a load supporting device. That rear suspension design lacks the structural ability to support the load from just one point at the extreme front or rear of the control arm.

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    For the record the older models do not have a pump either, so here is what the plate looks like on these.

Your solution is not so far from the factory...

[​IMG]

13. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Can you elaborate on this. I have looked at the suspension and I understand what Ferrari was doing with the load leveling device and the sway/torsion bar, but I cannot understand why it is of any use now.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is of as much use now as ever. But I do not think thats what you want to know.

15. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No I am a suspension engineer and I am still trying to figure out its usefulness

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It keeps the car at the correct ride height no matter the load. Quite common on European cars to maintain handling qualities whether it has one person or 4 people and a trunk load of luggage. Springs stiff enough to keep that to a minimum destroy handling and ride. Springs soft enough for handling and ride allow sagging of suspension, loss of correct geometry and ground clearance at bigger loads. .Mercedes used them for 30 years until other methods were implemented.

17. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ok the vehicle has completely lost the hydraulic system. The original system just used the sway bar as a torsion spring, a good idea for controlling ride height but not for suspension control. Putting a rod or some other mechanical contraption is just a very inefficient spring system, as the pickup point for the stabilizer bar is 100mm closer to the pivot point than the shocks.
    Yes I am giving up ride height control. I set the ride height when having 350lbs of nominal load and this allows an additional 300 pounds of load. Or another way of looking at it if you put 2 dead bodies weighing a total of 400lbs in the trunk the rear suspension would go down about 1". But A) you don't have the room and B) at your max capacity of 300 Lbs and at 300 you are only looking at about 3/4" drop. I think I can live with this.

As far as NVH it really hasn't changed. Jaguar and Maserati (QPIII) both use a similar 4 shock setup and the Ferrari's load path's are better than either. Despite their foibles both Jag and the Quatroporte are known for their excellent ride without the need for load leveling. The 400 does very well going down the road and it reminds me of driving my 94 XJS. They are both a bit of boats and are more cruiser/GT's rather than sportscar, but they are nice cruisers, and it handles well for a cruiser. Your analysis of spring rates really doesn't hold up, a lot of this is down to just superior shocks than what it came with originally, 40 years of innovation will do that.

I can't really say there are a lot of Europeans that do offer this system. Mercedes definitely did but generally on their big boats, not on something like the R107 which is closer to the 400i size and duty. BMW offered it as an option on larger cars, but BMW thought their cars rode and handled well enough that it was only an option. Citroen had the really state of the art system, but it was rather complex and costly to keep up, particularly in the states. RR uses a system that I know nothing about. Oh also there is a big business in retrofitting the hydraulic system to standard springs and shocks on the German stuff.

Mercedes and BMW also both used trailing arm rear suspension which will give you camber changes with ride height changes. The 400 uses unequal length double A-arms which do not give you the camber changes, so their is no loss of correct geometry.

Now again I ask is there a legitimate reason to put something in place of the ride height cylinder that I removed.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The camber in the rear of a 400 changes to more negative when the suspension is compressed. SLA suspension does that and it's a good thing, having the top of the wheel lean out at the top under load doesn't help tire adhesion much.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #20 Ak Jim, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    When the load levelers worked on my car they were amazing. Didn't matter how loaded down the car was, the ride height was the same. I had my family of 4 in the car along with two weeks of luggage with no sag. They finally wore out, when the car was 35 years old. I sent them off to a supposed reputable rebuilder, the rebuild lasted about 8 months and then they no longer worked like they were supposed to. I'd honestly pay a couple of grand per unit to get new ones but they don't exist. I got a set of coil over units from Trutlands and they are fully adjustable for ride height but they don't compensate for increases in weight. Sure you could manually adjust them but that's really not practical on a day to day basis. I will add the units I got are as simple bolt on. Not sure if they will work on series II cars.

21. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I think you do not understand how the system works: what is connected to the sway bar is a "sensor" not an actuator. When the sway bar compresses this sensor, the hydraulic system increases the pressure on the dampers. You can even adjust the rod length of the sensor in order to adjust the ride height. That's a clever system that works beautifully. To tell the truth it might feel bouncy at high speed. This was true on the 400i series 2, but the 412 fixed the issue with a raised trunk which provided more down force.

These later systems are "serviceable" and parts can be salvaged from other cars of that era (mercedes & rolls). The older system with self contained leveler (i.e no pump and no sensor) is much more delicate and maybe not worth fixing.

Rifledriver likes this.
  22. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You are right I screwed that one up. The sphere are basically changing the spring rate.

23. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It probably does, but at a minimal amount, and the tire should never lean out. But my point was comparing SLA to a trailing arm suspension which has relatively huge camber changes. In theory a SLA will have zero camber changes, just as Dedion has zero, but in reality due to deflections mostly in rubber they design in a degree or so for street cars and closer to 3 for track cars

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wrong gain. In theory they have designed in camber changes.

Didnt you say you were a suspension engineer?

"No I am a suspension engineer and I am still trying to figure out its usefulness"

Sorry but I just cannot believe that.

And the sway bar acts as a torsion bar to support anything? Uh no.

25. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The upper suspension arm is shorter than the lower suspension arm, so there is dynamic (negative) camber. Also both arms are not parallel (lower arm is at ~250°, upper arm is at ~280°) which generates even more dynamic camber. Together with the front adjustable konis and the self levellers That's a well designed setup that works very well (as long as the TRX are fresh...).