Ferrari 412 paint question | FerrariChat

Ferrari 412 paint question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Luciolelux, Feb 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luciolelux

Luciolelux Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Cedric Bouzar
    Hello
    First of all, I am very happy to join this forum!
    Of course I am a Ferrari fan , based in Luxembourg, and in particular of the 412 model.

a very good friend of mine as a beautiful 1986 412, reserved for me when he will sell it. In one or 2 year . So I am just patient :- ) the car is in fantastic condition, almost like new.

I have one question regarding the paint. This car was delivered to the first owner in Black, with the sticker confirming the color.
    My friend decided to renovate the paint. For a good job, the garage removed the paint to the metal… and then discovered that the original color is not black but Azzurro blue 500… what a surprised. One explanation could be that the car was first painted in blue in the Pininfarina factory then painted in black to suit customer final order. Have you been ever confronted to such situation ?
    My friend decided to finally paint the car in Azzurro … which is quite unique !
    I’ll be happy to get your views, don’t hesitate !

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Mine is Gialo Fly. It's one of the few colors thay were not "allowed" for that car, yet it's got the proper sticker.

The paint stickers are easy to source, most reputable paintshop will apply the proper sticker once the job is done.

As far as your colour is concerned, it decreases the value of the car (just like my Gialo Fly), for the simple fact that "colour matching" cars are sought after. I personally consider that I can afford this slight loss if the colour makes me feel better...

3. Luciolelux

Luciolelux Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Cedric Bouzar
    I love yellow! I saw pictures of your car on the forum , it is gorgeous!

it seems that Azzurro 500 was available in 1986 and car was painted firstly on this color by the Factory. Then it seems that they have repainted the car in the factory in black… so car was delivered in black. this is a bit weird but the only explanation I could find. And apparently it is not the only case.

definitively I love this color and will not repaint it to black. Even if officially it is not fully matching. But it seems it was the original intent do it blue. I will try to check with the Ferrari or Pininfarina Factory if they have record of such change… but honestly I doubt this information exists or they have time and motivation to do it.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Changes in the factoryline where quite common: my brother had a car whose gearbox was changed mid-course, which made an horrible mess in the VIN: they had to change the marking everywhere, this was such a botched job that our local police thought the car was dodged and asked two expert to come from Maranello and thoroughly check the car (it did cost the French tax payers €45.000)!

So yes they could make a few changes on the assembly line!

Luciolelux likes this.
  5. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    My car was originally ordered in dark blue, with beige leather and light blue carpets. I have the paperwork confirming this.
    But, during the build, the owner changed his mind and had the car painted Bruno, and fitted with dark brown carpets.
    About 8 years later he changed his mind again, and had it painted dark blue!
    It goes to show that pre-delivery changes do happen, and it is human nature to change ones mind.
    In my ownership I have reinstated the Bruno, as it has come full circle.

Luciolelux likes this.
  6. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I agree there are certainly known instances where these cars were repainted before delivery. I know of a 365 GT4 2+2 that was originally Avorio (cream), but was repainted Azzurro before it was sold to its first customer. Azzurro is a rare colour for a 412, I know of only eight in that shade - and one of those was repainted metallic black early on. There may be a few more, but not many. Note the paint code used on 412s (and late 400is) was Azzurro Metallizzato FER 505/C, a lighter shade than FER 500 I think.

7. Luciolelux

Luciolelux Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Cedric Bouzar
    Just curiosity: Was it possible for customers to order a special paint not in the catalogue or «paint to sample » from Ferrari in the 80s ?

8. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    It's a good question. From July 1983, Pininfarina used Glasurit paints for the last of the 400is and the 412s. It was a range of 18 different colours. I have photos/details of about 80% of all 412s, and in addition to the 18 "standard" colours, at least 8 were painted Blu Scuro FER 501 (dark non-metallic blue) that was not in the "standard" range but used for other Ferrari models and one 412 was painted a non-standard shade of green (for Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands). So it looks like it would have been extremely difficult to order a special paint. In the earlier 1980s prior to July 1983, when Pininfarina was still using an Italver paint range for the 400i it was slightly more common, though still rare, to deviate from the standard range.

9. Luciolelux

Luciolelux Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Cedric Bouzar
    Thank you, this is very interesting for me. I found some photos of the Ferrari Glasurit paint samples and codes.
    Indeed the blue Scuro FER 501 was available in the 80s. And I can see that the Azzuro FER 500 (blue non metallic) was also available. Maybe it was not intended to be used for the 412 but for other Ferrari models (?). That may explain why we could find this color on the car, before it was most likely repainted in black on the assembly line and delivered to the first owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm