Ferrari 412 ZFFYD25B000071077 SALE on BAT | FerrariChat

Ferrari 412 ZFFYD25B000071077 SALE on BAT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 360modena2003, Apr 12, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    $110,000 with three days to go!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    $185k! That's fabulous news.

Would likely have been more since the other bidder (at $183k) apparently didn't see the notification of the $185k bid, and sounded a little disgruntled to have been blindsided.

Il Tifoso and Jasonberkeley like this.
  4. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Great number! And Great numbers of late for the 400 and 412 on BAT!

Great for all of us to have others finally see what we've all seen for awhile!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    "The Great Unwashed" as one of my English friends refers to the General Public, absolutely love this car.

Although they don't know what it is...

This is heresy, I know, but I actually bought a pair of high quality Ferrari magnetic decals for the front wings - as most/all modern Ferraris have - to help people work it out without asking me.

6. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    #6 Britward, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Amusing, arriving at a local Ferrari sponsored Cars & Coffee, and the videographer admitting he doesn't know what it is....

Again, forgive the added decals...

(Edit - for some reason FChat won't let me insert the link with a specific timestamp, so go to 2:40.)

And 5.25.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Now that these cars are finally getting big sales prices, what do you do with yours? Are you worried about driving such a valuable car on the road? Do you sell it to get the profit? Will these keep going up in value like the 250GTE and 330GT 2+2s?

I have mixed feelings.

samsaprunoff likes this.
  8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    This was probably more of a unicorn, it ticked all the boxes; history, manual, good color combo, all original, documented and Ferrari certified.

Very few 400/412 will meet this criteria.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

nota400 likes this.
  9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Agreed.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day 360modena2003,

Indeed, this car presented very well. The classiche red book is a bonus, but it really only added confirmation on various items, but ignored other non factory items entirely. For example, the exhaust was non factory along with a few US Federalization issues (e.g. side marker lights, etc). Everyone has their own valuation on Classiche, but for me... it is a bonus and/or nice to have, but would not influence me from purchasing a solid car that did not have the red book.

As for a unicorn... This must be taken in context. I say this, as 5-speeds are rare, but can be found. I just did a cursory look on Mobile.de and found four 412 5-speeds offered for sale with asking prices ranging from 85K Euro (about $92K USD) to 125K Euro ($138K USD) in a few colors with one being in blue.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSearchRequest=true&ms=8600;17;;;&ref=dsp&s=Car&vc=Car

One would have to review and inspect these cars along with the BaT 412 to compare them physically and mechanically to determine if the BaT car was in better condition and/or better value... or perhaps similar to those cars in Europe.

Although buying and imparting a car from Europe is not nearly as easy as buying a car already in the US, tit is not overly difficult or expensive. That said, I have noticed that BaT auction buyers are certainly willing to pay top $ or a premium for cars already residing in the US and so I suspect this also added support to the BaT car's selling price.

Cheers,

Sam

11. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    The fact that it is already in the US also adds a premium.

The offered 5 speeds in Europe, and even more so, the automatics, have been for sale for a very long time. So the asking prices cannot be taking as a reference, at auction these cars would not attract bids anywhere close to the asking price.

A good reference was the most, or more, valuable model of these series: a manual/carburated 365 GT4 2+2 that was sold at Sotheby's auction in Paris last year for 55K Euro.

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day 360modena2003,

My point was that the BaT Car was not a unicorn... well in context. Unicorn maybe as far as what is available in the US, but outside of the US there are 412 GTs and so these are not unicorns overall. They are certainly rare and uncommon, but can be found should someone look outside the US. The BaT sale price is a strong number for sure, but I suspect that other factors contributed to this price and so does not establish a new base line valuation level. One factor that we both agree is the car being in the US and in fact I stated this in my previous comment. That said, the price does stimulate conversation and more visibility to the model and in so doing may attract more potential buyers... which may cause the valuation trend upward. It is anyone's guess.

Regarding the the 365 you mentioned (chassis 18813), I do not think you can use this sale price as being representative of the model valuation in Europe. This car needed a ton of work and so if anything simply reflected a sale price of a tired and unloved car ... no more, no less. In fact there are/were a couple of others being offered that needed a fair amount of work and their prices are in the same ball park as 18813. On the other side of the price spectrum there are also examples. Niki Lauda's car (365 GT4 2+2 Chassis 17517) sold last July for 207K Euro:

(https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/niki-lauda-365.600714/

and even one of the first 365 GT4 2+2 cars (chassis 16293, fully restored) sold for $299.75K USD way back in 2014. Obviously these are outlier prices and do not set the market price, much like the BaT car's sale price... well, in my opinion that is.

Cheers,

Sam

13. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    While being in the US may add a premium, where in the US also commands a premium. West Coast cars on BaT appear to command a premium particularly if they have that notorious California distinction of being CARB compliant. Non CARB compliant cars lose the California buyers. For us not in California that is welcomed.

samsaprunoff likes this.
  14. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  15. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    There is a significant premium for the manuals and being in the US.

This plotted chart represents the values very well - the examples over 100K being absolute outliers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  16. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Yes- i've seen that. But what has been happening since the end of 2022 has been markedly different then the preceeding six years is my point. A number of the cars on the graph over the preceeding six years were manuals, and sold for well below $100k. And the car Ferrari Westlake is asking $199k for is an auto. I'm sure they won't get that number, but the point is the cars are trending upwards, which is great news for those who bought them because we enjoy them, not for value. The upside potential is always nice!

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jason,

What I have noticed is that BaT prices seem to be higher and in some cases much higher than other sales venues. Secondly, I also note that a reasonable number of the BaT auction comments are from those that appear to have limited knowledge or understanding of the cars being sold. This is perfectly fine, but some of those people are bidding and buying and so potentially overpaying for cars than they would, had they been more knowledgeable. Again, this is also fine, as no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, but could cause issues down the road if people start to dump their cars because they got in over their heads.

Going forward... if you have nice car to sell and can package and market appropriately on BaT, then I think you will get an upper value for your car. if you are a savvy interested party and are looking to buy a specific car/model, then be prepared to pay more for a car on BaT.

As for the market trends... one cannot say for certain what is going to happen, but definitely the market is trending upward.

Cheers,

Sam

18. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I cannot say if this is actual trend or at least an "end" to the undervaluation of this series. As with many things, it is extremely subjective and will ultimately depend on how many people desire these cars. Maybe all it takes is for them to be featured in a few films, a couple of documentaries, being added to major collections, and then you start to see prices push higher.

In my case (a 1987 412), I think the best thing I can do is to use it as much as possible, if all goes well, I will probably be the only owner of a 412 that uses it as a daily driver and will be my car to takes me from and to the office. This way I enjoy it, which ultimately is the purpose of ownership, and I help bring this fantastic car in the minds and wishes of many.

19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    360modena2003 likes this.
  20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    #20 360modena2003, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    This one wont get numbers like the others, I imagine, as it has some issues that need to be resolved. The ones that have been getting the very high numbers have really been very fine examples overall.

Per the listing:

"A dent is present on the rear bumper, cracks are visible on the right front fender, and there are scratches on the front bumper, roof, and left front fender. The seller notes that the headlights are dim and that corrosion is visible in various body seams.

The seller notes that the trunk and fuel filler door release buttons are inoperable. Wear is present on the front seats and the carpet is loose in the passenger’s foot well.

The seller notes corrosion in the engine bay.

Chassis number ZFFYD24B000062653 is shown above, and the sequence is listed as the VIN on the title with a “2” in place of the “Z”. The car cannot pass an emissions test, therefore it cannot be sold to a California private party buyer. The registration expired in 2014."

Hopefully it gets a decent number and goes to a new home where the above issues are addressed and the car can come out of 'mothballs' and hit the road again!

22. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Truthfully, the pictures look better then the description. I think had this person sent it to a detailer to get a paint correction done, fixed the title and gotten it registered, and had it brought in for some basic service and maintenance to fix the small handful of issues, and that money would pay for itself multiple times over.

23. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Seems to be a case of being too honest and/or laziness...a minimal effort could have made a significant difference.