Ferrari 430 Scuderia F1 relay fail and leak | FerrariChat

Ferrari 430 Scuderia F1 relay fail and leak

Discussion in '360/430' started by Welikethetrack, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Welikethetrack

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Leo Haury
    Started driving Scuderia (could not stop for 10-15 minutes of driving as I was in the middle of traffic in LA). After a few minutes I heard this very loud whine start coming from the back right of the car. F1 Pump, must be?

Then I could not shift unless I was in auto, finally parked near my house a few blocks away. There was a lot of fluid that came down after the car was parked for a little bit, half of a pint maybe. It was right below next to the right rear tire which indicates exactly where the sound was aka the F1 pump. Seemed like a lot of fluid loss. :eek:

Restarted the car, drove home fine. no whine, shifting was fine, now it is parked and I am afraid to move it.

Sounds like I need a new F1 relay before I should even try and move the car again. Then, what should I do from there? Did I damage more things for sure? Can I drive it the 5 miles to the shop or do I tow? Should I check F1 fluid level?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The first thing to do is check the fluid level using the correct method; there are guides on here that explain how. Do not use the car until you have ascertained there is sufficient fluid.

Three things will cause fluid loss:
    1) It was recently serviced and over-filled;
    2) The fluid got above the standard operating temperature;
    3) There is an air ingress issue'

The TCU has a pump temperature management strategy so I doubt it is number 2, so I suspect given the pump was over-revving or cavitating (the whine) you have have the onset of loose actuator bleed screws that will require a shop to fix using diagnostics to bleed the system afterwards.
    The above should give you an idea of some problem areas but really any diagnosis must be performed in person.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    New Relay? I think if the relay got stuck and overran the pump it might cause this? As much trouble this relay can cause I think they should have mounted it on the dash with a spare attached - LOL
    1. If service overfilled the reservoir it would purge the extra fluid but would not "whine"?
    2. Temperature probably not an issue because of short drive time and no codes.
    3. Ingress - Air in system - Yeah, but how?
    Loose bleeder screws? Maybe.
    Hose failure? Maybe.
    I would buy two relays, change it and keep one as a spare.

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    1- yes, that's true. It wouldn't. I missed from my post the rationale for also excluding #1

5. Welikethetrack

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Leo Haury
    Awesome! Thanks guys, i will check the fluid level and bring it in and hope it’s not too bad :D

Sounds like these relays should be replaced anyways so I’ll probably just do that immediately.

Alex Scud likes this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I keep a spare relay in my workshop and I actually keep another in a bag next to the installed relay - just in case. The relays are very cheap from Eurospares.

7. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Have you considered the scuding swiss relay? I have it installed on my 360 and wouldn't go back to stock, lots of great reviews about it.

whatheheck likes this.