Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And a gorgeous '72 246 GT in mocha just went for $420k before premium. Almost high estimate.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    That's not that bad for a 456M in Red ...

Laserguru likes this.
  3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    As I'm sure Laserguru already knows, and I think what he was referring to when he spoke of "disappointing" results, is that manual 456M's have recently fetched significantly higher numbers (+125k) here in the U.S.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Very interesting any links to the cars sold for that much?

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Can't link to a dead page, but there was a '99 M manual at Marshall Goldman in Rosso Barchetta they were asking $138K for. I heard it went for $125K.

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As au-yt and G.Pepper know well, I track this market. Call it self-interested fun. I have no intention of selling my beast but its interesting to track what others think of the model, its value, the difference between autos and 6-sp, and spec/color given the remarks above about red!! Dang near sacrilege!

Last year's Sotheby's Scottsdale had a late year 6-sp with ~15k miles cross the block at >$135k after premium. Sale of the TdF blue/beige out of Seattle didn't happen at $175k but the car was last listed at $139k and then apparently sold. Others (ex. Bonham's, Driver's Source in Houston, etc) have supported the general valuation at roughly $125-135k for 6-sp and $75k for autos. There are a number of autos for sale right now with listings ranging over $75-80k with the $80k ask being prevalent. Given most sales close at ~95% of ask, then the market value for a 456 or 456M (they are not terribly differentiated in price) is ~$75k for an automatic and conservatively call it $120k for a 6-sp.

Thus the sale of the lovely red '99 456M 6-sp for ~$105k after premium is a bit soft but probably in line with the soft pricing across almost all Ferrari models newer than say '74. Down 5% from last year? Or a horrible 10% penalty for having a Ferrari in red?? :eek:

Other models like 348s seem down more in the 30% range and Testarossa's are coming off of their high of about 2 yrs ago by a rather good margin as well.

Graeme, I can dig around to try and find some links to these sales but the dealer sales are gone and off the web. Most of the auction houses maintain "past results" tabs on their websites that you can pillage about.

Cheers, gents. Not I think a bad car or a bad sale, just another data point of the softness that was apparent across the board during this year's Scottsdale events.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Glad you had the results handy Laserguru, as you know I've been tracking the 456 manual market for a couple years too. I think you know I even saw, in person, your 456M manual when it was in Long Island. Congratulated you at the time for the buy. I would actually put the price(s) of GTA's lower than 75k, that would be on the high end. As you noted "asking" price is one thing, selling another. I think $60-70k would be the true selling range for a GTA. Agreed on the manuals (I said 125k in my post above).

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good to hear from you, Temple. I remember the conversations concerning my car. As an update, she is sleeping here in frigid New Hampshire, but I am still in love. Can't wait to kiss Sleeping Bella awake from her winter nap.

You may well be right on taking $5-10k out of my auto estimates but the ask range has been reasonable consistent between $75 and $80k across a number of essentially equivalent looking cars. All supposedly in good shape, documented service histories, etc. Only a PPI can tell about shocks, accumulators, motor mounts, and all the other little delights.

As I mentioned before, not only Ferrari, but lots of other high value cars are seeing down 5-10% results right now. Scottsdale is always nice for a baseline as it is in the winter for most of us and folks are usually at their most rational about values and buying. Once spring hits, you usually get to see the sap start to run in the market and there is some price recovery.

Hope you are well and the winter isn't kicking you guys quick as hard as it has been here. New Hampshire, temp wise, has been doing its best North Dakota imitation.

9. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I to have been following the market but the RHD part of the world which is much smaller and at present there is a glut of GTA's to GTs of more than 6:1 infact probably closer to 20:1 world wide and the price difference is the same as your examples.sales are very slow if at all. manual RHD 456Ms are hens teeth with one for sale in the UK at 59990UKP https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/456/ferrari-456m-gt-manual/7410454 similar to mine
    but with 68,000 miles which is big miles for a Ferrari any where. so the LHD market is healthier than the RHD but that may be mileage an condition dependent.

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's a weird thing, red on a 456. Most of the original buyers picked low key (boring to me) colors, so reds are rare. I have 14 remaining Rosso Corsa 456 and 456M cars combined left in north America. It was 15, but one of the original 456's in Rosso Corsa was totaled in Canada a couple of years ago (f-chat member who later succumbed to cancer). For me, it's the most beautiful of all V12's since, and the voluptuous curves demand Rosso Corsa. So, as I've mentioned before, I spent about 18 months looking for a red one, and then I found one, and I had no idea they were so rare.

The first Ferraris I fell in love with were the 365 GTB/4 Daytona and the 365 GTC/4 2+2. The original 456 was a retro-modern reinterpretation of those cars.

Look for yourself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The rear end is just a more modern version of that on the Daytona.
    And the front is directly from the 365 GTC/4. And now the original 456:
    The front is a direct copy of that on the 365 GTC/4, just modernized.
    The beautiful voluptuous butt is obviously from the Daytona. That's why this car was my first Ferrari. Most beautiful, and most bang for the buck.

11. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I believe the 456M that just sold at Goodings was a rosso barchetta (vs rosso corsa); a darker, deeper (browner) red. Not 100% sure though.

12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm pretty sure that one in Cleveland did sell. I'm sure it sold at a premium too as it was low milage and had all the ancillary stuff. But, to me it was overpriced and not worth the extra vs some of the other cars. I don't look at ultra low milage as a positive, but I think the market does.I guess it depends if you want a museum piece or something to drive around.

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I believe you are quite correct. And I love the deeper Barchetta shade. And it suits the 456 wonderfully, better than Corsa IMHO.

14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    George, you list off all the reasons for me as well. I think the 456 design is the perfect transition from older models (GTC/4 and Daytona) to the newly re-introduced front V-12, rear transaxle architecture. It wraps the architectural re-intro in a beautiful package with all the nods to ancestry that you point out. Truly a seminal design and a tour-de-force to accomplish so much in one car design. It isn't surprising then that some consider it the best piece of work out of Pininfarina. In all the fabulous designs that have come out of that house, some have more of this or more of that, but none have so accurately hit the intended design goal as the 456.

Yeah, you can tell I like it....even in sparkly blue rather than red.....:cool:

Il Tifoso, G. Pepper and au-yt like this.
  15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Plenty of people have asked me about the difference between the 456 and 612, and that's pretty much how I describe the 456 to them (with less eloquence.)

G. Pepper and Laserguru like this.
  16. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

I really wanted George’s car. But after looking at several colors in the flesh, I felt that Titanio shows off the lines perfectly.

And to my eye, I see a direct lineage to the 250 Lusso.

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hard to argue that the 456 has a most distinct family resemblance to it's Grandfather. Pedantically, perhaps the 2+2 makes it more akin to a 250 GTE but that is merely quibbling. Pretty obvious Pininfarina was maintaining the DNA down through the line....Early 60s to early 90s, the headlight pods smooth into the hoodline and the headlights go pop-up while the kamm tail gets smoothed, rounded, and the chrome bumperettes disappear into the full fascia impact absorbing rear. Otherwise, looks like family!!

Anybody else ever wonder what a set of these Borrani's would look like on a 456?

18. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    You are referring to Denis Gauthier, aka Northman who replaced his totaled 1994 456 GT with a 2001 456M GT, dark gray/black interior, low miles and mint condition. While hunting down gated 456M's I had lots of great talks with Denis, he loved his 456M. He was from the Quebec area, wonder what his family ever did with his 456M?

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have had more people comment on my 456 that 575, if u can believe. (outside of the one guy that thought my 575 was a supra)

20. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't think that guy counts, Henry. Lord, I hope not!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As I've said before, while the 550/575M is a classic beauty, due to my love of the 365 GTB and GTC/4's, I've always thought the 456 was the prettier car.

I got a lot of compliments on it.

JayEff likes this.
  22. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    That 612 for sale at Ferrari of Houston is really nice in the same red.

23. Anj25

Anj25 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017
    Full Name:
    Allan jones
    Any “color”/commentary on the 456 that traded on Sunday @ Scottsdale for $50k (lot # 1595)? I emailed Barret Jackson for mileage info etc and got no response. It was a manual trans. ...... Thanks!

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If it was a 95, they are all manual trans.

25. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    It was a 95. Black/Crema. Very limited photos on the BJ site, and too dark to tell anything about the exterior. Looked very clean, maybe some wear or smudges on the driver door panel.

I’ve been watching the 456 market for several years now, this seemed market correct to me.