Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 47 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not with that many issues, even if it is a 6MT. Sheer optimism!!
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Agreed killer; they were indeed a lot of issues. I saw your comments on BaT too. I also know that you are “hands on” familiar with the 456 personally, particularly w/ a 456 that has, or should I say HAD, many of these same issues. I was thinking it would reach 60 at least. After all it is still a 3-pedal M, and we all know how rare that is. (-;

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Temple,
    If we start with an assumption that a "no-needs" three-pedal is around $100K (give or take for year, options, colors, miles, etc). Then let's assume that after your $60K purchase, the $25-30K estimate sorts this car mechanically. Once that's done, it's still a high mileage, repainted car with no history and several of its original bits missing (documents, fobs, codes, key, flashlight, cover, maintenance history/records, etc). Even for a rare three-pedal M, that does not sound like an $85-90K car to me.

I can't recall any similar car selling in the last two years, so who knows??

4. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    It’s definitely hard to determine the “market” value of 3-pedal M’s because they so rarely come up for sale here in the US. In the past 3-4 yrs I know of about 6-7 sales of M 3-pedals, the low figure is right around 100 grand, i’d say the average is about 115-120, and the high number around 130. So my thoughts are that at 80-90 your head still above water. Although there has definitely been a “pull-back”/“correction” in Ferrari prices in the past 6 months- at least that’s what I’ve seen.

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    IIRC, the sales you reference were all low-mile, Cond 1 cars.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like the car, and we’re not that far off in our valuations.
    I suppose the real point of my comments is that the car is destined to always be a driver.
    As such, I can’t see it reaching six figures any time soon.

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree rather completely. Even in a sample size as small as 456M manuals, there are the best and the lower end. This, with everything we've discussed, has to be that lower sample. Assume one keeps it in the red repaint, then with $20k or so in mechanical and interior work, a saleat $60k would top out the value at $80k. Just my perception, but I think that is fair for the car. Ends up just a touch above a nice GTA example.
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Agreed. The “high-mileage” (sic) alone would make this a driver. And no question there are A LOT of issues with this car that need to be addressed. Nevertheless I’m quite sure I would NOT call all the cars I listed as Condition 1 cars, some of them had some obvious needs, but certainly not as “needy” as this example. Regardless at least now we have another “data-point” re the value of these cars (3-pedal M) that so rarely become available in the US. And certainly one that is at the “lower end”. An informative result for sure, followed by an informative discussion. Thank you.

Temple

8. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The problem with this BaT 456M wasn't with the vehicle, but with the seller - who failed to understand that BaT acts as a sound board for cars that don't come to the auction with a clean bill of health (especially Ferraris, that carry the great unknown mystique of an exotic brand). While this 456M does indeed have some needs, the BaT format amplified those needs into real problems.

This seller decided to bring the car to auction after budgeting a ceiling of $6000 for repairs of existing issues. While that money would probably have been sufficient to address most of the pending problems with a modicum of involvement by the owner, the shop that carried out the repairs found it insufficient to fix them all. And placing a Ferrari on BaT with a CEL, rusty radiator, shrinking leather, etc. caused the auction thread to gyrate on itself and turn suspicious of this vehicle.

The lesson here is that vehicle owners seeking to sell their ware on BaT should make sure the vehicle is trouble-free and ready to drive cross-country at a minute's notice. Another $3-4K invested ahead of time in the maintenance of this 456M would have likely allowed it to sell in the 80-90K range.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole, even though a red '01 manual is exactly what I'd buy. I'd be embarrassed to list a 456M in that condition. It was $19K to sort my 7K mile '01 out to the initial level of perfection, and it had no known needs but a belt service when I drove it home. It would probably be almost $30K to sort that car out, not including returning it to the correct color, if you pay to have it done by a Ferrari Master Mechanic. I don't even have any idea what the paint correction would cost. Yes, a black manual would interest me, even w/o shields, because it is such a stealthy exotic that way.

And who knows what that CEL is! Poor car has nightmare written all over it. Or rather, painted all over it. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Asgor,
    I agree with this portion of your assessment, but not with the rest.
    Admittedly, it's difficult to piece the seller's responses together at first. But after his posts on the 24th, two things are clear: 1) the seller clearly doesn't understand the car or the brand and, 2) as a result, he can't be completely forthcoming.

Remember, this car was in storage for most of the last ten years. My guess is it wasn't running, or running very poorly, when they pulled it out of storage.
    The seller claimed a $6K cap, but only spent $4K on the April 2018 invoice. He had $2K more to use but still left the car with a CEL and a rough cold idle. If indeed the CEL results from "just an O2 sensor", then $2K would have covered that. A Google search of Pixley tells me that shop doesn't know how to fix it and doesn't have the means. That they changed the spark plugs and intake gasket confirms that and tells me they were just fishing for a cure. Viewed in this light, it's clear the seller did just enough to get it running in order to sell it.

As I've stated, I actually like the car for what it is (a driver), and think it's worth saving and restoring (sans a repaint).
    But way too many things wrong even before a PPI. Just cats or valve guides would put you underwater quick.
    So I agree with George, it's a money pit.
    The seller should have taken the high bid and run.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed. AND any time a car sits that long you have to think that the refresh could be a lot more.
    Even cars that are running and have been driven regularly can easily run 35-40 k into repairs if you are not handy enough to do it yourself.

12. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Nice looking, 18000 mile, 2000 456M GTA on eBay. Grigio Ingrid with "Palomino" interior. Air bag cover needs replacing. Lots of nice high resolution pics so check out the engine bay-where is the stamped 456M on the plenum covers ????

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Agree, it is a very nice looking car. I love those Daytona seats! Had it been for sale during my search, it would have been a serious contender. The covers for the fuel heat exchangers are missing on top the engine, some connectors are hanging loose. That’s the second car I’ve seen recently that way ?? It’s got a case of the sticky’s, the dash is starting to pull around the passenger air bag, and the headliner is starting to sag as well. The invoice for the major service shown in the listing is from 2014. The brake rotors look awfully rusty. With all that, I thinks it’s overpriced by at least $10K.

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't know but my guess the seller was not willing to admit he paid too much to start or didn't analyze what it would cost to put back as a driver sans repaint. I had the same problem with the first couple sports cars I purchased and at that time I did a lot of my own work as I could not afford to hire an expert. So I drove a couple cars not so well sorted. That said I did learn from my mistakes. The seller seems to still be in the learning curve of his car buying period. IMO

15. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Randy,
    I followed that same patter, the difference was I did it knowingly. My M needed about $15K in work when I got it, but it was the exact spec I would have ordered new. So Although I overpaid by maybe $5-8K, I got the car I wanted. I’m stretching the refurbishment over a two year period, and like yourself, doing as much of it as I can myself. Unfortunately, those maintenance costs can too easily be the tipping point for some.

16. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Been a while since anyone posted here and thought this thread needed some “refurbishment” lol. Carriage House Motors (CT) has 2 456s, and both are 3-Pedal!!

A Blue Swatters ‘95 456 GT, when all 456s were 3 pedal, and a nicely spec’d 99 456M GT in BRG (ex Tommy Hilfinger car). The ask for the ‘95 is $119 and for the ‘99 the ask is $128,500. They have both been at Carriage House for several months now so i would think the price is open to negotiation. The ‘99 has come down about $10,000 since a previous inquiry (Laserguru).

Temple

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't believe you paid too much if you got exactly the car you wanted - it may have been too much for someone wanting a similar car. But finding your exact spec vehicle often requires kicking a lot of tires, so while the process is fun when it is extended for a lengthy period of time frustration sets in. So in the long run paying for the exact spec car is usually worth it unless the problems are way more than expected. Which means you either didn't do your origional analysis well or you let the emotion of finding the exact spec car blind your judgement- been there done than in my earlier irrational years.

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Randy,
    I agree.
    I’m very happy with the car and even the price paid.
    When it’s finally the way I want it, that $5-8K will likely double.
    But I’ll still be happy. The car just gets better every time I drive it.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u didnt over pay - just bought too soon.

and if someone can figure out a tremec swap for the auto versions - the $45-50k cars with needs will be long gone

20. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1170 Laserguru, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Here is an offering at the Russo & Steele Monterey Auction, a 2000 456M GTA , Grigio Ingrid with a Crema (described in the listing as Sand!) interior, black dash and steering wheel and chromed OEM wheels. 6 Grigio Ingrid cars in 2000, all GTAs. Four with Sabbia or Tan interiors, the other two with Cuoio. But with Grey calipers and black dash and steering wheel, this is likely Assy #37375 and VIN
    ZFFWP50A7Y0120015. I didn't see the VIN on the auctioneers listing so thought I could see if it could be identified from my register.

https://russoandsteele.com/vehicle-details/?show_vehicle=172626&current_index=3&total_results=21&tsauction_id=199&=&caryear=0&caryearto=0&search_text=Ferrari&page=featured&showpage=2

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That interior looks darker than Crema to me.

22. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Looks like Sabbia to me.

I think that car was for sale on autotrader last year.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm I right about identifying on the VIN register, it shows as Sabbia there. That comes from the f-register.com website so this is the first actual confirmation on the car that I've seen. Looks like Sabbia to me too.

And, BTW, there are a number of Ferrari's in Russo & Steele's catalog for this sale that have been listed in other places. Example would be the green F355 which has visited eBay and didn't meet reserve, as well as Hemmings, etc. Was expecting that one to make a BaT showing but apparently went consignment to R&S.

24. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    It's the wrong thread but did you all see the Jay Leno's garage show about the 55 Mondial for sale at Goodells this month. Pretty amazing 100 point car.

25. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Il Tifoso likes this.