Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Guys -

Does anyone have any info or know the history of this 456 at Park Place in Bellevue, WA?

Ferrari : 456 GT in Ferrari | eBay Motors

I tried searching by VIN but nothing came up. That said, I suck using the FChat search function. So if something has been posted, just steer me towards the thread.

Anyway, car looks decent and is a 6 spd, which I'd prefer. That said, do the bumper to body gaps look correct to those that have a 456? Looked a bit wider in some spots than I would've expected.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

2. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #102 mcypert, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark: Looks about like mine. And the hood fit is adjustable. Haven't tried it but looks pretty easy.

Mark in Houston...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Frabouden

Frabouden Rookie

Feb 2, 2013
    Hello - has anyone ever seen a WHITE 456....?

4. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #104 MoeD, Feb 4, 2013
    I'm taking delivery of a 612 shortly and will be offering my Awesome & Lovely 456M

Fresh belt service 1 month ago, new Michelin SuperSports, Beautiful Custom German Cargraphic Wheels as well as factory originals, Keith Collins mats, CD player, Custom Sheepskin seat covers mean the seats underneath remain unscathed, Clear bra, new dashboard leather & the best sounding Tubi exhaust I've heard on any Ferrari. No dings, dangs or dents.

The engine on this car just SINGS and the wheels & tires + manual transmission and the Tubi exhaust make this car the fun, Great Driving experience a Ferrari is meant to be.

Any interest parties, please contact me...

5. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Beautiful car. Love those wheels as I have similar 19's on my Argento/Scuro M-GT. Good luck with the sale - someone will get a great ride!

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Thank you-- I'm actually dreading selling this car, it's such an exhilarating drive, I love it so much!!

I haven't grasped the love for the F1 cars yet, so I'm hoping I'm making the right choice in graduating to a 612.

Someone WILL love this car...

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Let us know your reactions in comparing the two.

8. masernegro

masernegro Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    You were right!! Called today, sold

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Just so you know, all the early 456s (all 95s, probably all 96s) were 6 speeds. The 456 GTA did not come out until late 1996 as a MY97 in the US. Total for the 456 was 1936 cars, of which 402 were automatics. Different story for the 456 M, with production nearly evenly split at 668 6 speeds and 660 automatics, because the automatic was available throughout production.

So 6 speed 456 GTs are the norm, not unusual.

10. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    One more follow-up on the hood gap. Finally got around to adjusting it....it is easy...

Other Mark.

11. Allard54

Allard54 Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    CT.
    Full Name:
    Marcel Perlman Ph.D.
    Hi Taz...as always you are quite right about all 95s were 6 speeds....except for two which were built for Sultan of Brunai....The tranny is identified as the same box put in the Porsche 928...I'm told they were used at the Beverly Hills Hotel which they owned....currently I won one of them...great car...love it....all the best, Marc

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just for the record, in the US there are NO 1996 456s. The rules began to require OBD II that year, and Ferrari didn't have a solution ready until 1997, when they also brought out the GTA.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Thanks, had forgotten that. Changeover was made to Motronic 5.2 at that time.

Marc- Very unusual car you own. Probably more tech data easily available on the 928 transmission than there is on the GM based unit in the GTA.

14. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
  15. 456 koirra

456 koirra Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Finland
  16. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I've been looking at either a 456 or 550 to compliment my 360 Spider. I think I am different from the majority on the forum that spend a little more on the best one they can find - I'm not picky with colors, miles, and less picky with a perfect service history. I like cars that have been driven, and enjoy bargaining for bottom dollar. I feel I got a great deal on my 2000 (Euro) 360 Spider with 55k miles - obviously the year and miles hurt it plus it had just 1 service records, but it was red, looked stunning and the service record was for over $25k for a major + common issues, all resolved (clutch, headers, cats, etc). Perhaps I got lucky???

So I'm considering this 456 on E-Bay -

Ferrari : 456 456 GTA | eBay

Seller seems to indicate he will take low $40's for the car.

A few weeks ago I remember seeing a silver 2000 GTA with 5k original miles for $49,900 at Gullwing Motors in New York. He actually accepted my e-mail offer of $43k. BUT, after reading review about Gullwing, I didn't even bother following up.

I get the feeling there are less than half a dozen potential 456 buyers at any time - I just see really long market times. I like the Blue color,
    don't mind automatic, and love the idea of cruising around with my 8 year old daughter safely when not driving the 360.

This one does not have a service history except a recent $2500 spent on oil change, headliner re-glue, passenger window fix and other minor stuff. Is there anyone besides me that would see this as a good buy, at $40k with or without a PPI?

I have read about the astronomical repair costs, but do have a great Ferrari Inde at a fraction of Dealer costs.

17. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #117 MoeD, Feb 20, 2013
    Taz-

In response to you production number quotes for the 456 model, I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from, but my own reading has lead me to believe that there are only approximately 400 456's in the U.S.

Additionally I have read that only 10% of production were manual transmission cars.

This is one model whose market conditions in this country I have followed closely since the car was introduced, bought my own, & ever since.

I say this only because I didn't buy exactly what I wanted & have kept my eye out ever since.

It took me 3 yrs to uncover my manual car.

I am well aware that all '95's were manual- but subsequent to that, to tell me that manual cars are as available as automatics is simply not the case. Indeed at least in this country.

Additionally- I have read that manual car pricing is on the rise because of the low supply and associated good demand. The last 3 or 4 manual cars I ran across in the last 60 days have asking prices from 79k to 82k and all sold within a couple of weeks.

I probably have seen just about every manual car brought into the U.S. because I've kept such an eye on this market. We are talking slim pickin's for sure...Can you tell me what resource you are quoting from and if there are any figures for USA cars specifically?

A couple of shots of my own ride included herewith as I'm contemplating selling her. Practically, it's really time to move on, but she is so much damned fun to drive and is the car I always wanted. And those are the ones I find myself collecting- I don't want to look back sore that I sold her & find again that I can't even find another one.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #118 tazandjan, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Moe- Facts is facts and those numbers come from Ferrari through the old Maranello Concessionaires group that is now three separate groups under Penske.

Wherever you read that 6 speeds were only 10% of production, it was likely somebody using a posterior number unless they gave hard numbers of total production vs 6 speeds or total US imports vs 6 speeds.There are all kinds of wishful numbers by folks that think their cars are rarer than they are.

But note, those are worldwide numbers, and I have not seen the break-out for the US, so I am not going to give you a posterior number. In the UK, there were 33 456Ms imported with 6 speeds and 139 with automatics, so 19.2% 6 speed. Out of total 456M production of 668 6 speeds and 660 automatics, that leaves 635 6 speeds and 521 automatics for the rest of the world, including the US.

For 456s, the numbers are even more skewed towards 6 speeds. Out of 1936 456s produced, only 402 had automatics, or 20.8%. Grand totals for 456s and 456Ms are 3264, of which 1062 were automatics, 32.5%. 6 speeds are much more numerous than automatics, especially for the 456, where the GT had a two year headstart on the GTA. For the 456, UK imports of automatics were 61 autos out of 202 total or 30.2%.

So you can spin the numbers above any way you want, but unless you have hard numbers on US imports, 10% is not a believable number.

For 1997 total Ferrari production was 3581, and US production was 805 cars or 22.5%. Assuming that percentage for 456s and 456Ms, obviously a WAG, that would work out to 435 456s and 299 456Ms for the US. Close as I can get it without better data.

19. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    T-

While I follow your reasoning- I'm still inclined to believe there are only 400 US market 456's in total and very few M cars with a manual-

I would easily believe the 10% number as I've searched manual 456's for years and have set up email service to alert me every time one hits the market for years now.

I have no way to verify any of this and I was hoping you could, but if there is a way, I'd love to know the numbers.

In fact your numbers make sense because the rest of the world is more acclimated to manuals than we are, but I'm also weary of the way FNA decides what's good for this market.

Thanks for shedding light on this and if you learn of any USA specific stats, I'd love to hear about them.

20. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Just a thought-

I just Googled and found total 456M production at 1271- This is very much in line with the numbers you have quoted and the referenced also claimed production at about 50% manual vs automatic.

Indeed if this is the case, with your mention that the US market is 22% of Ferrari production, that leaves about 130-150 M cars in total with manual in the US.

My thinking is that the US market is skewed towards automatics, making US market manual M cars more scarce than that- but nevertheless I believe this still paints a picture of few US market manual cars, whether my indication of 10% of US cars are manual is valid or not.

I realize that everyone likes to think their cars are special- and to be honest, each & every car is special in different ways. But inasmuch as it took me 3 years to find mine, because I wanted a manual and black- I remain convinced these cars are hard to come by.

Wouldn't you agree??

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Moe- The 1271 456M number comes from an older version of the same source document I am using. Published at the end of 2003, the numbers were 640 GTs and 631 GTAs through the date of publication. The later version shows total production of 668 GTs and 660 GTAs, meaning not a lot were produced in CY04 because the 612 was already in production.

Trouble with a lot of internet numbers is there is no context to go with the numbers.

You might try pinging FNA. They undoubtedly have all the numbers if they would be willing to provide them.

22. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Terry- I'm very satisfied you know what you're saying. I've seen you all over this site and you are very well informed. At this point, I'm just curious as to US import numbers/breakdown

When you say 'ping' FNA- Is there a way to do that online?

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Moe- I have usually called them, but here is their web page at ferrari.com and there is a contact spot down below.

FNA

24. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have submitted my query- Let's see what, if any, response come of it

Thank you for that Terry- Very kind of you

25. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3