Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My search was completely insane.

I had bought Nathan’s book with registry so I could hunt colors and options.

I did a very deep dive on the threads to find the most evolved and optioned cars and then scoured all the cars for sale and reached out to guys that had cars that weren’t even for sale just to learn more and get on their list if certain cars ever came up.

I had searched generally for a long time but it didn’t get “insane” with the spreadsheet until I knew the cash was in hand and I was really ready to pounce at a moments notice if the right car came available.

kevinkw likes this.
  2. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I looked for about two years and that included me breaking down and contacting a dealer in order to try and track down a particle spec M they had sold. I wanted to at least make an offer on it to the current owner. No dice.

Things worked out though, I would not want to do it over again.

Ryan S. and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    According to my register, if your car is 132380, she is the sixth from last to come to the US. My TdF M GT was the fifth from last and 132381 so these two knew each other from the cradle. Two of the three Schumacher edition 456Ms came after yours and mine as well as a Nero Daytona (with shields) and an Argento.

Ryan S., Ferrari55whoa and Mirek like this.
  4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    George,
    There is a '99 that is RC/Tan with shields, but no Daytonas. And two '01s in RC. Yours with shields & Daytonas and another with Tan regular seats but with Nero piping (no shields). These are the only three RC cars I show in the register. Rosso Fiorano was actually more prevalent than Corsa.

Ferrari55whoa, Mirek and G. Pepper like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, I believe you told me about those a few years back. I saw a Rosso Fiorano M and it was spectacular. I believe it was a manual too.

Laserguru and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  6. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Decent money for the Grigio Ingrid BaT car - 57k with fees:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-456-m-gta-9/#comments-anchor

Not wanting to detract from the auction as it unfolded, but I had that pegged as a 40-45k car when I looked at it. I suppose that’s the quirk of BaT where all it takes is two people who want it to push the price up.

A lot of unknowns with no recent service and no real history. Best of luck to the new owner, hoped we see them here.

kevinkw, G. Pepper and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  7. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    $55k with fees (BAT is 5%). The only way you’ll find a 456 for $40k anymore - even an automatic - is if you catch the owner on the side of the road while it’s actively on fire. $55k is a good sale, but crema is nice on these and the schedoni bag is worth an easy thousand bucks on its own.

tantumaude, Ryan S., kevinkw and 2 others like this.
  8. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob

My mistake on the BaT fees.

I suppose I was being critical as I was pricing in a major service for the new owner given that there’s nothing since 2012 and nothing detailed forthcoming from the seller.

The luggage is nice, but an incomplete set and not correct for this car - I thought the 456M set was different?

As a seller I would have thought to have a good look for both keys at the start, and not wait until the closing minutes of the auction. But to each their own.

Do you think this is close to the floor of the market now? These have always been underrated cars and the only way is up.

kevinkw likes this.
  9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Agreed.

Well maintained and well spec’d M GT cars are asking insane money right now and often get it when they do come on the market or trade hands. I do not see this changing, there are just not that many. M GT cars will easily eclipse 575 cars if they have not already.

If somebody pays $140+ for a good 2001-2003 M, I am happy to have the exact same car albeit with an automatic — which is what I prefer so win/win and I paid south of $100k.

Eventually “the herd” comes around, the “good” GTA cars should bump too.

10. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    There’s two scenarios that could play out and at least empirical data to support either one.

1) they only go up from here and this is the floor. For the last 2 years or so, every 456 that’s been on BAT or at a brick and mortar auction has sold for more than the last with very limited exceptions. These were obviously ridiculously undervalued for a decade and there’s no end in sight until they’re basically even with 550’s. There is certainly a compelling argument for that, especially as more 456 buyers tend to be looking for a third car they can enjoy with their kids (a departure from previous generations), and if especially if you consider broader economic trends, millennials with kids and disposable income are just now getting to exotic car territory.

Or

2) the bounce is temporary and we’re at more of a crest than a floor. The 456 was the poor man’s 550 and will continue to be, just as the California will continue to play second fiddle to F430’s. As the larger market cools, if the better cars drop, the “junior” cars will have to drop to remain attractive. This might be a floor in the short term, but if the broader market continues to slide, there’s no reason the 456 wouldn’t, especially as the last couple years have shown the 456 price trends lag the market by 6-12 months for whatever reason. There’s good arguments here, too.

I honestly don’t know which scenario is more likely. There’s a 456 GT coming for sale in Monterey that (in my opinion) a dealer overpaid for in Glendale or Scottsdale at the top of the market earlier this year, and he might take a beating on it. And if so, I do not think this is a floor. If it goes gangbusters all bets are off. There’s a nice manual DBS I’m watching for similar reasons.

Overall I think the GTA’s are more likely to slide than the gated cars as there are many outstanding automatic models in the market at large. The arguments for a 456 GTA compared to a 575M or 612 seem minimal to me from a practical perspective, and I do not think those cars can keep sliding without taking the 456 with them.

Ryan S., Mirek and dr_rob like this.
  11. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Appreciate the insights.

Good to keep these threads alive to help potential buyers, and also mark sale prices when available so that the excellent 456 registry can be updated.

12. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I have never seen a clock labeled “quarzo” such as the dash clock shown in pic 83 on the BAT car.
    Interesting build variation. Mine is an 2003 and has the “normal” gauges.

The car looked off with all of the (purposefully) blacked out lower trim painted to match the body. It is supposed to be black to help visually shrink the car and can you just imagine how scratched up and messy the underneath part of the (now) painted (!) rear spoiler will get.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #1388 Mirek, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Mine also does not say “unleaded fuel only” like that one does on it’s gauge.

Edit. I think my 2003 may be the exception with regard to these dial variations.

14. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    My 2003 #126263 does have the same labels

15. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    The Mecum's 456GT got a pretty good run slot and just slid across the block. Was bid to $95k, reserve not met (I thought it would be RNM at $100k, but I was close). Considering the dealer paid $110k + 12% in Scottsdale in January, plus purchased new wheels and some other incidentals, I most certainly do not think the 456 market is at any sort of new floor. There's still some built-up demand, but it seems to be tapering off a bit, given this car was on the block for all of about 15 seconds before they waved it off.

16. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Also, Mecum probably isn’t the best venue for a 456GT.

17. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Todays run possibly not, but tomorrow is mostly exotics. Monterey sort of bucks the trend for them. I’m guessing gooding, sothebys, and probably bonhams too would only take the car with no reserve or a very low one, which is not where you want to be when you’re $125-130k into a 456.

18. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I don’t know about Bonhams, but RM and Gooding will only take cars under about $250k at no reserve.

19. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Not surprised. Sothebys might not have even been interested with their roster of cars.

Gooding had a pretty strong sale (though was torturous to watch, their auctioneer was VERY slow), Sothebys had a great sell-thru but their realized prices seemed to be a bit short from what most were expecting, Bonhams at Quail was OK (looking at results they may have taken that 456 with reserve)... Broad Arrow had a great showing for the new guy in town. Mecums was mixed. Their MSO cars all flopped so that's almost $10m in no-sales right there.

By and large there's still insane levels of demand for anything Porsche. High-spec modern FCars like a 599 GTO and a 6MT 599 also did very well, as did a 812 TDF prototype and a red book marrone metallizzato testarossa which went nuts and settled at over $300k after premium. The DBS I was looking at did fairly well at $170k. Hard to get a read on the market, but overall modern future classics brought serious money (like a Lime Rock M3 that went for something like $260k), modern exotics the change in the market was on full display with sellers being more reasonable, money seemed to be flowing out of post-war classics a bit, pre-war stuff... I mean it's Monterey.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  20. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I agree. I watched a little of RMs Saturday night auction and saw a 928 GTS sell for around $370k hammer! Crazy.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  21. Horse That Prances

Jul 22, 2019
    Yup, I too was watching this particular 456GT auction, interesting how Mecum initially had the estimated sale at 150k+ for this particular car. The car itself looked really nice and even though it was a gated car, I too thought this car would end closer to the 100k mark. These particular gated cars shot up earlier this year in price, now seems to be heading back down and the market correcting itself, not sure if it’s because people starting to tighten up a little due to the economy or it because other Ferrari cars in same era are dipping more in prices and now potential buyers have more choices within the same price range.

22. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    It does not help that the car was auctioned in January 2022, plus had a failed stint on BAT and a weird ebay listing in its past, and was featured on Jalopnik basically as "a car worth saving"... and people who've been in the 456 market know it's been through like 5 owners in 2 years/250 miles... that particular chassis is a stories car up and down.
    Overall I was expecting $100k at the Scottsdale auction, and thought $110k was overbid (auctioneer would only take $110k though), so $95k this time around isn't much of a retreat... but a retreat is a retreat nonetheless.

23. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    @yudkib what was your advice to the 95 Rosso Corsa on BaT?

I looked over their ebay listings the past few weeks

24. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Get compression and leakdown results, get more comprehensive records, figure out the last full fluid change (since it wasn’t in the invoice for the major), get better photos of the dash… that was the gist of it. I suggested a PPI from F1 as well but I don’t think they did that (BAT may want them to post it themselves for liability reasons though)

Basically I said the car presented well but the listing was incomplete; spend a little more time getting your **** together because RC/black isn’t the easiest combo to sell, but if you convince buyers it’s totally sorted it’ll do just fine.

25. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Also, they were planning to reserve it “around 100”. I’ll take over 100, but not by much. Like 102-105. It is very well presented. If they didn’t put the effort in, I’d say more like 91. It’s not the one for me at the moment though, but looks like a great car for someone.