Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 57 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Good to know and good for them for going the extra effort! Hopefully the BaT market give the right results! Certainly better than that GTA up in Canada listing

What are you looking for? I haven't been following your quest super closely, but dont let perfection be the enemy of good enough

2. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Not a black interior. Under $100k. Preferably that’s the “sorted” dollar value. Really want reds/blues/greens over tan.

There was a great DB9 in Anaheim last week… one owner, 12k miles, servicing dealer (not selling dealer) told me it needed like suspension bombs and tires and that’s it, fire red, $62k… but it was black interior with piano black trim. It was virtually identical to my RX8 so I was like what am I doing here.

I’ve been willing to make compromises for about a year now, but I’ve had a lot of crappy sellers I’ve been dealing with and am feeling burned out. Work also owes me like $75-100k and that’s looking like a lawsuit in the making. So I’ll have to quit at that point, and will probably bootstrap my own consulting practice. A different lawsuit we’re probably going to have to default the defendants and push the court to enter a judgement at a time when rulings are backed up 6+ months.

So REALLY not looking to make compromises right now unless something breaks my way. Something has to, but I’ve been saying that for 6 months now, and that’s when I wasn’t planning on starting a business.

3. Horse That Prances

Jul 22, 2019
    Yup, great point, you know this car well. It sold for just over 110,000 in Jan 27 2022 at the Scottsdale auction.
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az22/arizona/lots/r0042-1995-ferrari-456-gt/1195561

Only 7 months later, the same car got a high bid of 95K, roughly a $15,000 less bid (a loss of 13.5%) at the September Mecum auction (surprisingly, Mecum had estimated this car to hit at least 150K+ for the sale)...these cars are not on the way up as auction houses have anticipated (looks like the current market is recorrecting itself for 95k to 100k for 456 gated cars, in nice drivable condition).

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    At the time I could not believe that car got $110,000. The M GT cars seem to exist on another plane though, they just do not seem to come up on the live auctions often.

5. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

Yudkib was just talking about the Rosso Corsa one on the previous page. Looks like a nicely presented car, was for sale on Ebay the past few weeks for 125-129k

The verde one, seems like a half ass effort. Overall terrible pictures and very little seller interaction, plus its a GTA and over the border in Canada, i just think it has a lot going against it for a strong sale. It doesnt have any glaring flaws, but not seemingly showcased well. And i told him as much on the auction

Miner64, dr_rob and Mirek like this.
  7. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  8. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    This was a friends car (he sold it at the RM auction). The car was neglected for a little while, but had a ton of work done in his ownership (bushings, shocks) that refreshed the car hugely. Wasn't concourse but wasn't a dog.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    They had a MGT at quail last year. There have only been 3 GT’s I’ve seen at a live auction since then, and two of them were the same car.

11. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I believe I remember you saying that at the time. Why did he sell it after such a short stint? He had it for like a month before he sent it down to Scottsdale for the work to get performed and never shipped it back. Too much of a money pit?

12. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    He had it as low as like $113k. I think he sincerely did not want to go the BAT route, but I’m not sure I agree on his valuation. If your car doesn’t hit reserve on there it gets tough to sell if you can’t seal a deal with a buyer. Problem is, there aren’t enough comps to back up his valuation, especially with a black interior. I haven’t seen a black interior car go over $90k in 2 years.

Mirek likes this.
  13. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    No the guy just has complete ADD and has no idea what he wants (e.g. someone who enjoys the act of buying more than owning). One day he loved having a classic Ferrari then he decided to have only modern cars and bought a 12C McLaren spider. In that same year he bought and sold about 8 other cars. Many of the things attended to on the car were just "old car" stuff that most other vehicles don't have (all new bushings, shock rebuilds, etc).

yudkib likes this.
  14. Miner64

Miner64 Rookie

Dec 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Basar
    You’re right can’t seem to get straight answers on the Verde

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The red 1995 GT 6 speed just sold for $93k. 2022 so far on BaT:
    - Five 456 GT 6-Speed have been auctioned and averaged $94,805 with a high of $127,000 in January and a low of $72,000 reserve no met in March / $72,500 sold in July.
    - Six 456 GTA (M and non M) have been auctioned and averaged $61,243 with a high of $74,000 for a 9k mile 456M and a low of $52,000 for the green Canadian that was sold last Sunday.

The difference between the manual and automatic is over $33,500, and the difference between the highest example and lowest example sold is $75,000. Only one 456M 6-Speed was sold this year, and it went for $151,000.

16. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Nice summary!

I was surprised the red one today didnt get more action. You can say Nero interior or the Rosso exterior was a detriment, but good cars and this seemed like one shouldnt matter. i think color helps but really shouldnt take away. Even Hoovie chimed in!

I didnt realize until the last hour how late it closed and i think that didnt work to its advantage.

17. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    The guy selling the car had asked me what I would let it go at and I said $93k, or $87k plus the BAT vig since they don’t charge that after closing the bidding on an unsuccessful sale. I too thought it would go a little higher, $97-104k, but I said to the seller and I’ve said here - black interior cars do not bring the biggest $ anywhere, and BAT specifically is not the strongest market for corsa 456’s and 612’s.

I also mentioned to the seller, I’d take $93k, put it in T-notes, walk away with $96k in a year, rather than ride out winter and try again early summer after $1k in insurance, $2k in service, and $2k in storage and need to hammer at $101k just to break even with taking the money now. There’s not a lot he could have done to make the car market much better than it already did, he would be placing a $100k bet on the market, and that’s not a great short term outlook right now.

Given the Nero/tan 456 at Mecum closed at $95k plus 10% = $105k after like $40k in servicing, and this was around $98k after fee in a less desirable color pairing… it’s reflective of the market. They’re slightly off what I expected - maybe $5k low in both cases - but I think that’s about all that the market has retreated. The sky is not falling, that was never a $120k car even in February. One man’s opinion.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing wrong with black interiors on Ferraris.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Six speed 2003 M just went up on BAT. Garbage presentation but it looks well maintained and seems to be a solid driver. Factory shields, cool Daytona seats, that cool VIN plate and the late series M door cards (w/exposed speaker trim) which I think look cooler ESPECIALLY in the tan interior cars. The exterior color does not help it (IMHO) but should be fun to watch.

Not too many ever come up to pick from.

Aerosurfer likes this.
  20. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Grigio titanio and Grigio alloy seems to be doing better than Grigio Ingrid, but I agree it’s a worse option than the more popular CdF.
    I think this one is in for a bumpy ride and may not break $100k. It needs probably $20k in work. Needs a major with cam seals… the upholstery is pulling on both doors, instrument cluster, headliner, parcel shelf, passenger side airbag… the lower dash leather does not match the upper in color graining or sheen making me wonder if it’s a re-cover… and throw in window regulators and seals for good measure.

It will be interesting as M’s do not come up often, but on the Hagerty’s scale this is a driver on its best day.

21. Horse That Prances

Jul 22, 2019
    Totally agree not many, 456M Gated cars come up on the market.
    Last one on BAT, (1999 Ferrari 456M Gated with only 17k miles) sold for $156k ($151k + $5k buyers fee):
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-456m-2/

However, in addition to the maintenance work that yudkid had mentioned above, the current gated 456M listed on BAT also has 59K miles (3 times the mileage of the previous 456M gated car).
    Very interested to see where this one lands and I had stated before the current market for all 456 models has been all over the place.

Mirek likes this.
  22. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    This is much more similar to the MGT that sold in April with 39k miles and hammered at $109k. Again, I’m not sure this car will get there. However minor that many of the issues are, there are still a lot of issues, and at the end of the day the market treats this as a C+ color pairing on a borderline “high mileage” car. The recent rosso corsa was much better presented and this car would need minimum $20k to get to that point. I guess we will see if the Daytona seats and M badge are worth that much.

For what it’s worth, there have been very few outlier results in the market. Good color pairings bring significant (30%+) premiums over average. Service history and cosmetic repairs are factored almost dollar for dollar into offering prices. If a car needs $20k in work, its $20k off the price. Right now the benchmark is the recent Mecums offering - a well sorted ‘95 GT Hagerty’s 3 in black/tan with 30-40k miles is $105k after fees. Adjust up or down from there.

23. C3Hawkeye

C3Hawkeye Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Full Name:
    Cyril
    I am interested in a 456 as my first Ferrari and started watching the 2003 that is posted on BaT. Thank you for the input regarding what work you think will need to be done. Certainly the cam seals leaking is concerning to me.

24. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Wow, I wrote that 456M off, and right now it's looking like it could fly under the radar. Seller seems like a stand-up guy too.

kevinkw likes this.
  25. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I think it will be an exciting and to the auction..

I dont like how late it ends, i think the ones that end during business hours (east coast) seem to get a more captivating audience and more action