Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by au-yt, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Pekka, I can help you with the radio, if it is plopping and crackling the head unit needs servicing.

2. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Can you post some more pictures of the rust work, and what's the scoop on the windows, Do you think the rust came from that area or from somewhere else?

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks Greg, what did you think of the title, as I actually thought it was appropriate.
    Jeff still developing his style with car test videos however I quite like the relaxed format.

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Home Built? Wasn't sure what it mean't but assumed he usually does kit cars. The 456 looked great

5. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    The video looked great Graeme. But get the A/C panel fixed.

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

No, not windows. The rust was very clearly because of the clogged A/C drain, sure I'll post some photos, I just hate typing with the phone, so i'll need to find some free time with a computer...

Btw there was a Nordic Ferrari meeting last weekend and Finnish club's 30th anniversay: 101 Ferraris in my home town! :D (ps. Remember, when I was a kid the were less than 10 Ferraris in the whole country) Mostly red cars of course, but in Argento (Silver) there were at least one Dino, my car and a friends 612 as well as a GTS Turbo. Nothing ultra fancy, but a 1957 TdF, 365 GTC and all kinds of Ferraris (one red 456 M GTA as well) and a few yellow and blue cars (one blue Maranello, and a red 575 SA in Red/Red with a glass roof, etc.)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Jeff is a man of many talents, best answered by this link

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_vb_SJctymCkwnF6sAwDg

Besides the Porsche hes got a 260Z and a 105 ALFA to do, hes also doing his house up.
    Hes a Firery with lots of spare time

Gizzy is that HVAC all you spotted keep looking.

Very pleased with the video and the car now I have worked out a decent seating position, as having ducks disease doesn't help.

8. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    It certainly helps your rear seat passengers mate!

9. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Ive had my 81 year old mum in the back, getting her out was Australia's Funniest Home videos worthy.
    She finished up on the floor with me pulling her out, all of us laughing and a great and funny memory.

10. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Cool! I believe you! :D

My mom would be 88 now, if she was still around. IIRC I did give her a ride in the Series 1 E-type 2+2 and that wasn't easy either!

Cheers!

Pekka T.
    Fin.

11. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #361 Fennicus, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

Here are some " before" and "after" photos.

I do have many questions regarding what I did find, some are issues I have found here on fchat and some. I have not found, yet.

I have no idea what should be connected to the "ILLUMINATION" wire, it was hanging loose there inside the RH side center console. The red lights on the doors work, but I noticed there are white lights under the doors. How and when should they be on? Always when the doors are open? Only when the doors are open with parking lights on? Something else?

There had been a Japanese alarm system and who ever removed it, was not too careful or delicate, so many things were just torn out. But the a/c drain (see the 3-way junction on the side if the prop shaft tunnel?) had not been fixed, I opened all the connections and cleaned the hoses, now water runs out just like it should.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #362 Fennicus, Aug 23, 2017
    Hi,

Sorry, maybe my iPad is outdated, I only seem to get one image through at a time...perhaps I should do when back at the laptop, the ILLUMINATION wire: (what should be connected to it?)

13. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #363 Fennicus, Aug 23, 2017
  14. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #364 Fennicus, Aug 23, 2017
    And after (some wire brushing, anti-rust converter, two layers of rust preventive black paint, (Ferrex) and a couple of top coats):

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #365 Fennicus, Aug 23, 2017
    So, IMO water had been pouring out of the RH side footwell opening of the a/c unit, thus there was rust in the seams right under that area. (But not anymore! :D )

16. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    That Illumination wire is not original. It looks like a wire that normally comes from a radio, is there an aftermarket system in the car?

17. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

No, it's all the original system, incl. speakers and the CD unit innthe trunk. Radio, amp and CD changer are Sony and marked Ferrari, incl. the CD case.

The CD changer says "error" reading any disk, and if course I am sure I have the discs the right way. :)

But I would be grateful for any help getting the CD and main unit serviced, if you suggest you know what should be done? Can a normal Sony service company fix them?

Best wishes,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric

This showed up on my feed today and I haven't the first clue what the announcers are saying. What I do know is that for a 2+2 GT, our beloved 456 represented itself pretty dang well.

Thought this crowd would enjoy....

puckybadger and G. Pepper like this.
  20. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The starting grid was set as inverse to the power to weight ratio. So the back guys ought to work their way through the field (which the F50 does) while the front guys should fade....or maybe not so much. Pretty entertaining.

21. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks for sharing this... have seen it a bunch of times and still very entertaining. I’d love to see this updated with modern counterparts.

Ruben

22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ruben,
    I hadn't run across this one before and I found it really quite entertaining. That guy drives the heck out of that 456. And I'm with you, that would be a very fun format to be done with the latest gen of super/hyper cars.

Eric

Il Tifoso likes this.
  23. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    My experience is that the 456 is a bit of a pig at 4100+ lbs. and flexes brutally when taken near its limits - though the steering remains oddly neutral and compliant.

Weight, self-leveling suspensions and supple chassis makes for a great GT (which is what the 456 is designed to be), but seeing it being flogged on a track to me seems counter-intuitive.

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I loved mine on the track. The driving instructor couldn't get over how neutral it was. Never noticed any flex, just lots of yaw. Changed the shock valves to 575M FHP spec, which helped a little. I liken it to dancing with a graceful fat chick. Smoothness is rewarded and sudden moves are punished. :)
    Michael Schumacher drove 456's for hours and hours around the Fiorano test track. They are up to the task if you know how to handle them.

The 550/575M is on the same chassis, and not much lighter.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Shocks on 575Ms with FHP are identical to those without FHP. They changed for HGTC, but not FHP.

Same for 550s, except no HGTC, obviously.