Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by au-yt, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Take it up with Delta Vee. Perhaps he meant HGTC, but he changed the valves.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- You made the claim, repeatedly, not Rob. Trying to prevent bad info being posted, and FHP shock absorber settings are bad info. Why not call Rob and find out what you really have? Plus your shocks are Bilsteins and the 575M shocks are Sachs, so even less chance you could do what you claim. Last time I talked to Rob, he was not rebuilding 575 shocks.

3. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    456GT MUFFLERS
    Thought I'd share my muffler story with you all. After digesting all the great F Chat info on types of aftermarket mufflers, I chatted with Fabio Fiammenghi who sent me sound videos of his valved mufflers. He made me a set of electronic valved mufflers and I fitted them last month. The sound is perfect for me as it is slightly louder than original with the valves closed. And then when I press the remote control on my keyring it transforms into something that the factory should have made in the first place. Not hugely loud and deep like the Tubis but a more rasping racy sound under high revs. Also not too loud at traffic light idle situations but still enough to drown out the engine noise and know you have something a bit special under the bonnet (hood). Its not for me but for those that need extra noise Fabio is now making the H-pipe replacement for the resonator.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Glen,
    What an incredibly beautiful car.
    And now with sound to match.
    Bravo !

FreegasMcCheese likes this.
  5. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fabio's polished stainless jewel boxes somehow don't seem to be "just a muffler". Midas, only different!!

FreegasMcCheese likes this.
  6. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    For those who are having cooling issues, you might check out the Flex a lite extruded core radiators. The company says the extruded tubes replace and cool better than the older 2, 3, or 4 tube radiators. I have no interest or any other connection to the company.

7. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    So, my 3rd driving season with my 2002 456M GT has come to a close, now in winter storage. Let me say this right here and now, these are the funnest, most exciting 5000 miles I have ever driven. It must be love, every time the car cover comes off the heart rate increases with anticipation of what's to come next. And that sound...
    Don't know about yours but the torque and precision handling of mine can't be beat. Finally I did something right.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Pucky,
    I drove mine to work yesterday. Funny, somehow the drive home was three times the distance. On arrival, my wife said, “gee, you’re sure in a happy mood”.... Crossing my fingers that I can eek out another couple weeks before winter storage.

I agree, my MGTA is the nicest car I’ve ever driven.

paulchua likes this.
  9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think I'm somewhere in between you, Plucky, and you, Killer. New Hampshire isn't quite Milwaukee but definitely colder than DC. Fall has been about 2 weeks late this year. Peak leaf season is serious business for New Hampshire tourism. That being said, time for hibernation is coming rapidly. Took the car out last week and I'm with you guys, the finest driving experience car I've ever owned. Love my long history of nice Alfas, a Porsche or two, some race cars, and all that but the MGT is the absolute best driver of the lot.

10. FreegasMcCheese

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fergus McVey
    Hi Dave,
    I have an early 456, did you ever develop a steering ECU for that?

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sorry to ride @FreegasMcCheese coattails, but Dave @Cribbj do you work on any engine ECUs as well?

Cheers

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Cheers[/QUOTE]
    I haven't, but I would like to have a look at the programming in those early ECU's and see if it's similar to the later ones, if someone would be kind enough to send me one. I suspect the programming is very similar, if not the same, and only the connectors have changed.

No Paul I haven't. I used to tune a few aftermarket standalones, but I don't work on, or reprogram the Motronics.

FreegasMcCheese and paulchua like this.
  13. FreegasMcCheese

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fergus McVey

I haven't, but I would like to have a look at the programming in those early ECU's and see if it's similar to the later ones, if someone would be kind enough to send me one. I suspect the programming is very similar, if not the same, and only the connectors have changed.

Hi John, in which case and to fully embrace my 456 (and Ferrari and Ferrarichat) noob status, am i looking at item 1 here at eurospares?
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/456-gt-gta/electrical-ignition/electrical-boards-31347
    I'll check in the footwell and take a photo tomorrow.

14. FreegasMcCheese

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fergus McVey
    So, just for the hell of it - and no doubt to ignite a new wheel/tyre discussion, here is mine.
    Running standard 360 Modena wheels and - currently - tyres. Those fronts are pretty skinny, but all the tyres are shagged so am replacing the lot. Going to widen the front tyres (to 245) and add a 15mm spacer (from Hill Engineering) on the rear wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Several guys were running those wheels years ago when I joined f-chat, and almost nobody does anymore, that I know of, because the performance compromises are too great. The car pushes naturally with the stock wheels, which makes it easy to run hard on a track, but it positively plows with those narrow fronts. I consider that to be a safety hazard, especially in the wet. If you don't like the looks of the stock wheels - which won a design award back in the day - look at what's available for the 550 and 575M. Mine had the 550 Barchetta wheels on it when I bought it, and they make the car look all kinds of aggressive.
    But I ended up putting a set of stock wheels on it because they rode so much smoother. Perfectly neutral on the track.
    Beautiful car. I like the all silver look. My 308 was all silver.

paulchua and FreegasMcCheese like this.
  16. FreegasMcCheese

Apr 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fergus McVey
    Thanks G. I still have the option of buying a set (4x) of 550M wheels from eurospares at 895 GBP - a pretty good price it think but i just love how these 360Ms look.... I need a full set of tyres either way and could hopefully recoup a bit on the 360s, they're refurbed.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If you were in the US, I have a 360 now and would like a set of the starfish wheels. I have the modulars, which look cool, but are a bit heavy. Cheers.

18. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Yes, that's the steering ECU.

19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I want those 550 Barchetta wheels !

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    looks great!

21. 246dreamer

246dreamer Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Riverton New Zealand
    Full Name:
    David
    What tyres do people use on the 4546? I'm looking for two tyres for the rear wheels on the Ferrari. The manufacturer's specification is 285/40/17 but they don't seem to be listed anywhere in NZ :( Current fitment is Pirelli P Zero front and rear but I am willing to consider alternatives if the type/size is not available. Thank you in advance!

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  23. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

In addition to the PZeros that are not always available in Europe either, but in Germany the only tires that met the legal requirements (speed rating and weight) were Michelin PSS2’s (Pilot Super Sport 2). I got those and have them also on my alternate wheels, 550M 18" standard rims, and I like them very much! Very good grip also in the cold and wet, unlike my experiences with Pirellis. YMMV. I am still planning on buying a set of Asimmetricos at some point and refurbisshingb the original wheels for show purposes. But if I drive across Europe I will put on the Maranello wheels with the Michelins.

Cheers!

24. 246dreamer

246dreamer Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Riverton New Zealand
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you for the replies. Availability of tyres to fit in OEM sizes seems to be very poor. I've looked at Michelin and Continental and neither do a tyre that fits both front and rear wheels :(

All I can find at present is two Pirelli P Zeros in Australia but getting them shipped to NZ is a nightmare with Covid delays!

Other than Pirelli with the P Zeros there doesn't seem to be anything that comes in sizes to suit both front and back so I might have to end up mixing tyres front to back - or going to the added expense of fitting a set of larger diameter wheels....

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The tires Terry mentioned 2 posts back are available for front and rear. The only question that remains is getting them sent to NZ.