Ferrari 456M GTA Rear cigarette lighter fuse | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456M GTA Rear cigarette lighter fuse

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nigelthomas1310, Jan 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Hi.

I was running a tyre inflator off the rear cigarette lighter. It suddenly stopped. Pretty sure I have blown a fuse. Changed the one directly under in in the rubber fuse holder. No joy. I see the front lighter had it’s own fuse in the passenger footwell.
    Is there a ‘hidden’ fuse for the rear.
    Is it on a shared fuse but not documented on the fuse board.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Post this in 456/550/575 forum and you will get better results. Pretty much no cigarette lighter (especially not the wimpy ones in a Ferrari) can handle the current flow from a compressor. Best to get one with alligator clamps and power it directly from the battery.

3. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Thanks for the info and suggestions.

4. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Now Posted on the 456/550/575 model specific forum

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interestingly, the power for the rear cigar lighter goes through the Right Inertia Relay. The inertia relays are activated if the car is involved in an accident. Fuel and ignition is cut off from the engine and the hazard lights are triggered. Were Ferrari designers worried that the passengers in the rear of the car would light up their cigarettes after an accident?

I don't have the internal circuit for the inertia relay, but the primary source of power seems to be the maxi-fuses in the engine compartment. As stated on the 456 /550/575 forum, a lot more things wouldn't be working if these fuses blew or if the inertia relay was triggered.

6. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Thanks for the information.
    The car starts and drives so there must be a secondary fuse in the circuit. Or else I am going to have an interesting journey when I next use the car.
    I will continue the search for the item that’s stopped that having power.
    Any suggestions on how would be very much appreciated.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Well, not knowing the internals of the Right Inertia Relay, there may be multiple switch contacts and only one contact is faulty. I was going to suggest interchanging the inertia relays. However, I was looking through the parts manual, and RHD (Right Hand Drive) cars seemed to be set up quite differently.

If you look at items 47 and 48 for RHD drive cars ("GD" in Ferrari-speak)...

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-2/456m/electrical-boards.html

There appears to be relays and jumpers associated with the cigar lighter on RHD cars. Unfortunately, their location is not clear. Here is a picture of the relay:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/184102?id=108957

Good luck finding them :D

If you do find them perhaps you could post a picture showing their location?

Cheers

8. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    That image is helpful in tv at we now know there is a possible culprit.
    The location is finding x on the map.
    I will check the passenger footwell and the right hand side of the fuse area (the transmission tunnel) as it’s looking like it’s showing in a right hand panel if the arrow on the parts diagram is indicating forward

Qavion likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see the notes in the parts manual only mention Australia for item 48 (relay), so perhaps only the jumper is present for UK cars. I can't imagine the jumper failing unless it has acted as a fuse.

I'm wondering if it's in the boot (rhs). There are not many cavities shaped like that. It's either in the footwell (rhs), to the right of the rear rh passenger seat or in the boot.