Ferrari 458 (Italia) Rental Cost? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 (Italia) Rental Cost?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458dreamer, Jan 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the cost of renting this car for a day and if so what mileage restrictions if any would be part of the price?
    I just want to get a rough idea from you guys as to what is fair, so I can negotiate with some rental car companies, there are a few options where I live.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Given your age... forget it.

You might try up at Exotic Racing in Vegas for a few laps but I don't know what the age cut off is.

3. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    I haven't mentioned my age here . But what's wrong with the age of 39 for rental purposes? I believe the only requirement is 25 yrs or older.

4. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    To clarify I live in Dubai and there are several companies that rent a variety of exotic cars. I think an Italia runs about $1300-1500 for a day and may have a 250km "mileage" restriction.
    I also know with some special offers/coupons the cost can be half that. I was just trying to get a worldwide idea of what a fair cost might be.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wait.... we want to clarify here. You're a 39 year old guy living in Dubai, correct? And, you want to know how much to rent a car in the US for a day, right?

6. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Yes, the US or Europe or elsewhere. Rent not just any car, but a 458. Is that a crazy question?

7. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    In Miami they charge 2k-2500 a day with 100 miles max . price depends what time of the year and what events going on locally .

check out http://southbeachexoticrentals.com/

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, sorry.

In LA it's about 2 grand a day plus mileage. I think if you google 458 rental, you'll get plenty of hits.

I think one person in Vegas rents one. But, most go for exotic racing as it's cheaper (about $600) and on a track. It's only 7 laps but if you want the feel of the car, it's a good way to try one and not have the expense or cops on your back.

9. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Yeah, it's a bit odd to ask about rental prices in the US since the US market does not reflect Dubai's market.

10. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    +1, why would 39 present an issue? Not like he's 18 with a rookie driving record...

11. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
  12. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Exotic racing sounds like a great idea. Though I have not heard of it yet in Dubai, but I will certainly look in to it, if it's available.

But I know many rental companies are available here to rent all the exotic cars. For an Italia I believe $1500/day would do the trick.

So my question to all of you is before you owned a 458 or any ferrari, i.e. before purchasing your first F car would you consider it a good investment to rent the car for a day or two at a cost of say $3000 to get a real feel for it? A 10 minute or longer test drive really is only a teaser and not too helpful.

Or perhaps the $3k would be better spent on one of those overpriced options?

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's what I did.

The dealer wanted me to buy a 458 coupe but I wasn't really ready to get rid of my 430 spider. They didn't have a demo so I popped up to Exotic Racing (about 20 minutes north of where I live) and rented a few laps in a car.

I liked it enough that I traded my spider the following week for a coupe. It cost me $500 but I felt I had a better idea what I was getting into.

But, there are some downsides. It's only a few laps, there's a co-driver in there with you. all the nannies are on, and you're wearing a helmet. It's also difficult to feel the brakes, check out the instrumentation, etc when you're in a hurry.

I think today though a lot of dealers have a used demo car if you're really serious about buying it. When I bought my coupe, they didn't so this was the next best thing.

14. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    I say just buy the car. You won't be disappointed.

15. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    I can see why you might consider it odd, but you'd be surprised how much the US market can reflect on Dubai's market. There is afterall a reason the UAE currency is linked and fixed to the US dollar i.e. the exchange rate never fluctuates.
    Also in my case I do travel to the US, so if rentals are cheap there, those would be an option.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I got a teast drive in a 2010 coupe the dealer had....I think I only drove it about 10 minutes before making a decision....it doesn't take long

17. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Yes, the local dealer does have a demo car. But really the same downsides would apply that you have mentioned with respect to exotic racing, having a passenger ride with you and only a limited duration drive (though I will avail of this opportunity). With renting the car for a day or two, I could drive it at least 200km a day.

18. Goplay

Goplay Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2012
    Northern CA
    IMHO any short drive in a 458 will convince you to buy because there is a lot of sizzle with the steak. Not to say you won't like the steak too but you really won't get familiar enough for a few hundred miles of driving. This is true with all cars but the 458 has a lot of sizzle.

19. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I did exactly what The Mayor did, only I went to Disney in Florida, to the Exotic Driving Experience, $600 later I called my FCar dealer and gave him a $20k deposit over the phone on my Amex. The car is simply amazing. All of the car magazines and nternational awards are spot on, the best car in its class by a long shot!

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    A car rental company in Dubai will care what a company in the US charges? LOL No, don't think so.

I doubt you can find multiple rental companies in any city which rent 458s. So they aren't going to care what someone else charges.

But you can do some negotiating anyway. Ask them what they charge and give them a counter.

21. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I tried the exotic racing there in Vegas and while I loved the 458, I didn't care for my copilot and I wished I could do a hot lap, relax then get back on it for another lap. The experience went too fast, as I was constantly trying to pick the right line, right gear, right braking point, etc. The helmet put my giant head in a bent forward position, which felt weird as well. I liked going 140 on the straight part, but I can do that anywhere.

22. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Just FWIW, age requirement is 18 years of age with a valid license at Exotics Racing in Vegas.

To the OP, I was in southern California (Newport Beach area) early last year and saw a rental company that wanted around $2500/day for a 458. They also had an F430 for around $2k/day. The minimum age was 25 years old.

-Gil

23. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +1

24. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
  25. 458dreamer

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Thanks guys for your feedback.

I got one quote today: 2013 Italia $1200/day, 2013 Spider $1500/day. In this 250 kms are allowed with about $5 for each add'l km driven.

And all you mclaren bashers will get a kick out of this, MP4 12C is about $300/day cheaper to rent than the Italia.

BTW, exotic racing sounds like a decent idea. So far I have heard of it in Vegas and Orlando, is there by any chance any such thing close to the Chicago area?