Ferrari 458 - What's the Used Market Like Today? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 - What's the Used Market Like Today?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by lencap, Apr 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Greetings -

I've been away from the Ferrari market for many years after selling my 360 Spider manual transmission just before the prices took off (OK, I can admit it - I'm a bit bitter :)->). I'm retired, and no longer drive at the pace that does the Ferrari justice, but I miss seeing a Ferrari in my garage.

Several years ago a friend of mine in CA bought a used 458 that was owned by a Ferrari track day company. The car was serviced very well (has all the records), and other than being driven hard it was never abused or damaged. He bought the car used from the school with nearly 80K miles on it (not a typo) for $110K and has owned it for a few years with no problems and only requiring routine maintenance. I've driven the car several times, and it's in amazing shape. He even allowed me to drive it at a closed course Mojave location and I was timed at 184MPH in a standing start 1.5 mile run. Quite a lot of fun.

Now I'm thinking of getting a 458 for myself, but given the wide range of prices, options and extended Ferrari service I'm not sure where to start. What I'm looking for is a car with a near mint exterior and full service history, preferably one/two owners, and I'm very flexible on miles and options. If you were me, and wanted to get a car that would "scratch the Ferrari itch", but also hold resale value well and have minimal problems, what year/options would you suggest I look for? What price range would you think that same car would cost? Finally, I've bought my 360 spider from a very well respected independent Ferrari specialty shop. I realize that costs a bit more, but for my first Ferrari I wanted peace of mind and no issues. The Specialty shop provided just that and for me that added cost was worth it. Would you recommend going with a dealer, or are there competent places to check out the 458 if the local shop doesn't have access to all the Ferrari computers for a full PPI?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
  3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Number of owners means almost nothing for Ferrari.

4. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    2012 is the perfect year for you. Post trans-issues, 7yr maintenance so likely was maintained well, etc, Best balance of return on $, generally speaking.
    # of owners is irrelevant, to a large degree.
    PPI is a must. You seem a bit anal (not a dig, just being real) so would recommend a dealer for peace of mind.
    Don’t skimp on options/config - enjoy it. To me, CF seats, CF led wheel, reverse cam, parking sensors, all a must. Max CF trim interior/exterior best you can.
    Finally - mod it, once you hear a properly piped 458 you won’t go back :)

Wazmo likes this.
  5. Skipthadip

Skipthadip Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Scott Blalock
    Check out Metrolina Auto Group/Mclaren Clt in Charlotte. I’ve bought a F430, Huracan, and a 458 spider from them. They have great deals on Ferrari’s and you can get Foreign Cars Charlotte to do a Ppi on them. Ask for Justin, he is the finance guy and is brutally honest (scratches/issues) on the the cars they sell because he knows they are priced right.

6. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Prices are all over the place. I recently purchased one with almost 100k miles . It has some minor stuff but for the money i cant complain to much

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Prices in my neck of the woods have remained stable over the last 12 months, in the region of 200.000 EUR, give or take 10% due to mileage, options, etc. I believe it can drop a bit further, but it will always plateau at a high(er) price than other models. You should move soon in order to get a relatively low mileage, full service history and few owners car. With time, books get lost, maintenance receipts get lost, keys get lost, cars get damaged by owners who don't care that much about them, etc. It's always the right time to jump at the opportunity of owning such an iconic Ferrari!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks to all for the help. Seems as if a 2012 or newer is the right direction. Now I have to decide if I want to take the plunge one more time.

9. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    You just have to make the most of your money. A lot of elitist will turn their noses up to certain cars. I am a diy guy and bought a 100k mike 458 that needs some odds and ends and still can sit next to low mile car and no one will know the difference.

daflk likes this.
  10. Sillyboy

Sillyboy Rookie

May 23, 2008
    Looking to move from my 911 to a 458 Spider. Id like to keep the purchase price 210 or below. There are a number of options out there, but I don't find many from a Dealership, and wonder thoughts on that. I also wonder if any of you have purchased with out inspecting the vehicle yourself. I know, a 200k price and you don't look at it.

Here is just one I am looking at, and wondering what you think my offer should be. I am not sure I would pay more than 185 for this vehicle, and wold like to see it closer to 180. I would transport it to the Boston area.

Thanks,

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/767857231/overview/

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Bought my 2015 458 spider sight unseen, granted that’s from a F dealer. Personally I wouldn’t buy from a non dealer but as long as you thoroughly inspect and test etc it should be ok-ish.
    The black car in link looks good. Odd the car has race seats and red belts yet no led wheel.
    Hope it works out.

12. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    If you can't go see it yourself, try to find an F-car member local to the car, and tip him a few bucks to give it a good look over. There's just always going to be stuff seen in person, that you won't see in pics. If there's a blemish or something found, you can even use it as a bargaining tool and maybe save a few bucks in the long run. Or, if there's signs of repaint or something more significant found, it can save you big $$$ in the long run by passing on the car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app