Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #551 redcaruser, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    I haven't read the whole thread, therefore I allow myself to writhe a few technical details which Ferrari adapted from the race cars into this model and which maybe have been mentioned before: the Pista takes over the lighter crankshaft, the Inconel exhaust manifold, the flywheel, the titanium connecting rods and the carbon air collector of the 488 Challenge. From the GTE the Pista adapted the more angled front diffuser and a new rear diffuser. The entire intake duct to the engine is new, the engine now receives the air from behind around the rear wing and no longer from the side. The vortex generators on the underside revised Ferrari just like the front hood, the s-duct inspired by the F1 is also a complex change which is applied.

I dare say up to this model Ferrari has never operated such a big technological effort for their track oriented version. In this sense, the name "Pista" is really aptly chosen.

I give Ferrari my full respect, they did everything right, what an impressive car. With respect to a race-track-oriented road cars, the new star is born.

jo_ker, Bhh, x-tremetuning and 11 others like this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    One of the videos was telling braking was improved compared to the standard 488, with reduced braking distances (there was an example but I'm too lazy to search for it).

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm looking forward to testing the brakes :)

4. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks, really interesting. Just some question?
    How they manage the rear engine intake with the blown spoiler flow need?
    Having changed the intake position, are the side intakes dedicated only to intercooler now?

5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I am going to be seriously "Pista Off" if I cant get one :)

TJF, stavura, Afonsolaw and 1 other person like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I went to the "unveiling party" last night at a very nice steakhouse.
    I was given an allocation..yeah.
    Now all the handwringing over colors and spec begins!
    :)

anunakki and saraojo like this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LaFerrari made a huge leap in performance. The GTB is some 3.5" slower round Fiorano, that's massive and can't be shaven off with a bit more power and aero. Okay, the tyres on the Pista are brand new semis instead of 5 year old road biased (and tyres can easily be upgraded on the LF too), but the LF still holds a huge power/weight, chassis and aero advantage.

8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #558 Napoli, Feb 23, 2018
    Cars ‘n Coffee gets upgraded to Cars ‘n Steak.

Kudos!

of2worlds and FerrariFR33458 like this.
  9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Ferrari are looking to push the track performance of this, and imo it'll do a sub 1.20

10. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Didn’t get any invite to the event on the 20th assuming there was one but I was out of the country anyway. The next morning however my dealer invited me to a tailor made event so I’m hoping they offer me a tailor made allocation. I know these specs really ramp up the cost, but I already have a good idea on what I would do with the program if I do get the nod....

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Absolutely!
    One of the clients showed up in his LaFerrari and his Son was driving his dad's Aperta.
    Two 812s were there as well.
    Pretty impressive parking lot at the steakhouse last evening for sure.

of2worlds and Afonsolaw like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #562 ingegnere, Feb 23, 2018
    As regards the engine air intake moved to the rear, well spotted. R&T also wrote that in their report on the Pista.

I had guessed prior to the release of details on the Pista that the air intake would have moved back to the quarter window as in the 458 because the fender intake looked to be fully dedicated to the intercooler/ cooling.

The chosen solution makes more sense as it will be used also on the Aperta and is similar to what was done for the 458 Spyder which couldn't use the quarter window intake of the GTB.

The intake on the upper rear fender though appears segregated and so it's possible that part of the flow through here will be vented to the back and adjacent to the taillights. Or maybe it's just a closing panel for the taillight, as this area was not exposed on the base 488 (?).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The blown center wing/spoiler will draw air from the base of the rear window.

Also, in the description on the official site, they mention a front diffuser angle, or slope, inspired by the GTE. I believe this is an error and refers to the obvious rear diffuser as already shown in the presentation slides:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

redcaruser and crinoid like this.
  13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Nice - Are you east coast or west coast

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    It’s no secret which models are in high demand. And the factory also knows the strategy the dealer uses to shift certain models.

Good point about the Lussn being produced on a different assembly line! What about making a few more 812 and a few less Lusso.

“If you want a Pista, you need to buy an 812 first!”

15. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    What aperta ? 599, Laf or Speciale ?

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    West coast of the East coast. :)

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Sorry...SpecialeA

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    What a delusion, just a miserable Speciale A and not a LaF A: I hate those blue collar steakhouses! :D

ciao

dcmetro likes this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
  20. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Good luck with yours.

Let's just hope they don't deliver you an "Off Pista" aka SUV instead. :)

Dolceexte likes this.
  21. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    :) - have to laugh about this stuff actually - Like a kid who can get there way - we are all "tragics" and Ferrari must be loving this

22. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    They don't want people to purchase more of the high demand cars. Think about the wait time for an 812, even if they built less of the V12 Lusso. Ferrari wants their customers to support their full line of cars. (GTC4 Lusso, Portifino, and before those, the Cali T, and FF) I agree that the dealers are almost always the ones to push the additional purchase of one of these cars in order to get an allocation for a car like the Pista, but at the end of the day Ferrari has a very calculated points rating system. From what I understand, this is the initial tool used to rank & select potential customers for allocations on new cars. We all know there are other factors that come into play, but buying the whole range of cars and holding on to them for a while is how you improve your "status".

of2worlds, franmort and Bundy like this.
  23. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    Got the confirmation of my allocation today, happy! I will keep my 458 Speciale, comparison will be interesting

TomTom77, Bhh, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Congrats!

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's the same 98 RON (Research Octane Number) petrol, typical high grade petrol in Europe.
    Next standard in Europe is 95 RON, accepted by all cars but with slightly degraded performance.