Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’ve never seen a Shmee video before but my take is it’s like a Disneyland Castmember turned car enthusiast. You can’t hate Disneyland so no matter how sugary.

2. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Correct, I spotted that on the reveal video at the dealer event already. I guess it's got to do with the position of the mirror controls? Still, strange!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I completely agree which is why I have not and will not watch the video. Character is as character does. Seen him suck up to owners one too many times. I enjoy videos from drivers that understand the car and its capabilities and not just if the videographer can convince a collector to give him a ride in his car while he panders and keeps the tape rolling. :)

4. OneD

OneD Karting

Mar 18, 2012
    Well, my guess is that the passenger will need something to hold while being shaken around on the road / track, hence the handle on the door. A normal driver will have both hands on the wheel, hence no need for a door handle !

Nelsonc275, nads and F140C like this.
  5. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Never underestimate Porsche. Look at the 918 vs. LaF. On paper, the LaF should have destroyed the 918 on track, but in reality, it's the other way around. Same goes with the Speciale. Even the 991.1 GT3RS was constantly faster than the 458 Speciale with only 500hp.

Napoli, Finlander, bobodrink and 3 others like this.
  6. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    True. But then you'd expect it to be symmetrical, like the Speciale, where both sides have the same handle?

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The carbon fiber wheel option of the 488 P is really cool. 40% lighter than the standard wheels too.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Incorrect on both counts.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Telling a guy whose owned and tracked and tested practically everything that he’s wrong is an interesting strategy.

exoticcardreamer, nmcclure and BarryK like this.
  10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Exactly. Why bother with real world experience when you can just read the numbers on zeperfs.com or whatever....:)

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  11. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Owning and tracking some cars and making claims afterwards doesn't mean anything to me. Even the tests that are made by magazines, so-called authorities are usually meaningless. Most of these official tests are either biased, flawed and unfair. Comparing 2 or more cars for their performance is one of the most difficult things to do if you want to have all the variables equal and be fair.

First you should have an unbiased driver, preferably a very good pro who doesn't have any sympathy or relation with a certain manufacturer (very hard to find) who will drive all the cars on the same day on the same conditions and preferably within 1hr, which is again very difficult to do.

Plus all the cars compared should have same type of tires with similar tire pressures, same type and amount of fuel. Everything else should be stock, like brakes, suspension, wheel geometry, etc., etc.... Even if everything is perfectly equal, it will be an invalid test if one car is driven early in the morning and the other one is around noon. Depending on track and weather conditions, there will be at least 1-2 sec. difference in lap times.

So, don't get too serious about these tests/reviews and don't make decisions based on someone's comments. Just buy the car you like most and enjoy it!

12. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Correct, that's the reason.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  13. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Tailor Made option !

of2worlds and TomTom77 like this.
  14. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    You're mostly right (except maybe about the tire pressures or suspension/wheel geometry - I think it's fair to give each car the most adequate setup available from adjustable stock settings), however I don't think it's that difficult to set equal conditions. A neutral driver driving several cars within a short period of time like one hour is not that difficult, IMO. That I mean for those who have the capacity of gathering such cars in a track and capable drivers. I'm recalling the test Chris Harris did of the "Holy Trinity" in Portugal and as far as I remember they did a nice effort to set equal or equitative conditions in all aspects you mention, so the results I believe were pretty trustworthy.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    CH admitted that he was more familiar with some cars and felt a little apprehensive about others. Anyway, one needs a pro driver, same tyres, pristine cars, etc. It's pretty meaningless when cars are that close and it can depend on a small slip or a half a second delay in throttle application.

16. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok, please let me know which track that the LaF is actually faster than the 918 besides Fiorano?

918 Spyder LaFerrari
    Silverstone (National Circuit) 0:58.47 0:58.58
    Spa Francorchamps 2:39.00 2:48.00
    Algarve International Circuit (Portimao) 1:53.98 1:54.25
    Thermal Club Raceway 1:17.18 1:18.46

911 GT3 RS 458 Speciale
    Thermal Club Raceway 1:22.64 1:25.70
    Sachsenring 1:33.34 1:32.76
    Algarve International Circuit (Portimao) 1:57.84 1:58.20
    Anglesey Coastal 1:13.60 1:14.20
    Hockenheim GP 1:50.78 1:51.44

And do you even know the real weight of the LaF? My friend weighed his when I was doing corner balance on my 918 and his car came in at 3604lbs. You can't trust Italian figures, it's made to look good. I can't wait for my Pista to arrive, but there is no doubt in my mind which will be faster of the two between my GT2RS and Pista.

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It's a shame Porsche dropped their plans for the 960 which would have been a direct competitor to the 488/720s/Huracan

Napoli and Jo Sta7 like this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And what’d your 918 weigh by comparison?

of2worlds likes this.
  19. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017

20. GALLARDO62

GALLARDO62 Rookie

Oct 15, 2013
    france
    lol it's not a laptime
    i run in 2.35 with my 675 LT and 2.41 with my speciale 4 years ago

the both cars are able to run quicker than that

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Exactly!!! All these times are fishy. Not to mention the uneven tyres (street Corsas for the LF vs semislick Cup 2s for the 918).

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I look at it as there are all kinds and I watch a variety of the videos. Just like reading newspapers and magazines. You have to consider the source. Its cool if you don't like his videos. I enjoy the way he gives the viewer a good sense of the car and almost always gets into all the little details. He's methodical on that and its something I appreciate.

JagShergill and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Agree. I couldn’t care less if he’s an expert or not. He’s funna and pleasant. He gives a good tour of the details. Also, he attends most everything and visits some amazing collections. What’s not to like?

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. bobodrink

bobodrink Rookie

Feb 16, 2017
    Your incorrect. It is true in real life test the Porsche always out perform on paper. People here always put down Porsche because they only see what it advertised or online posts. Both brands are amazing and I will pick different cars from each brand for different occasions.

25. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    There's no depth to his reviews. He gets access because he gets hits, not because he brings any depth of experience to his videos.