Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No, it has to do with actual performance.
    GTE racing is another example.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Who cares. You said it yourself - he gets access. He shows interesting collections, etc. Just watch his Pista video. He takes us through each little detail. Good stuff, no harm. When he visits a collection, we all get access to see cars we would never otherwise see. He does it with a nice attitude and passion. What's the big deal? Enjoy.

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    It's little more than having someone read a spec sheet out to you. It's O.K., but give me the likes of Harris, Sutcliffe or Catchpole and day of the week.

Napoli and TomTom77 like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats not exactly true. He does not give you a lot of depth of the driving experience like Chris Harris (for example) often does; but; there are already people who do that. What he does is show you how everything works, what things look like, the little details on the exterior and interior. I like watching both kinds of videos as putting them together gives me what I'm after. We will all have different preferences.

Anyway, looking forward to the driving videos!

5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't hate them. They're just rather bland.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #856 unotaz, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    3706lbs.

Just for comparison purposes, Porsche quoted 3602lbs and my car was 104lbs over their claim.

Ferrari quoted 2767lbs dry weight for the LaFerrari and the real weight (3604lb wet) was 837lbs over the dry weight. You think all that fluids weighed that much? ;)

Going to my original point, which is Porsche typically quotes their figures based on the worst conditions. Ferrari (Italians car makers in general) like to post their figures in the best conditions, which is almost impossible to reproduce. Anybody who has done magazine testings will know this as well. Every time you borrow a Porsche press car for instrument testings, they just loan you the car and you have at it. Does Ferrari do that? Of course not with their team of engineers.

Nonetheless, I am passionate about Ferrari and their cars, but I'm just not as biased as some of us here.

Albert-LP, Jo Sta7 and Ash Patel like this.
  7. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree, this was a quick copy and paste from Fastest Laps.com

Again, anybody who has track experience with both cars will have no doubt on which one is the faster machine (918). However, this does not change the fact that every time I see my friend's LaF, there is a strong desire inside me wanting to own that car someday.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For me, all those statistics such lap-times, acceleration numbers and so on are mostly irrelevant. Sure, they give a good indication of a car's performance potential, but that's about it. Nothing becomes boring so quickly as speed. What I want is fun! Fun for me means purity and agility, great driving involvement (with some hard work preferably) and epic sound. Fun is measured in smiles per kilometers and the width of those smiles.

As a born petrol-head, playing with die-cast cars as long as I and my parents can remember, I've been extremely fortunate that, through very hard work and some good career decisions, I've been able to buy a wide range of cars and create my little fun fleet. What this teaches me, and I'm very aware that that's solely my personal opinion, is that I am having as much fun in one of my MINI GPs or Focus RS Mk1, when driving them flat out on empty winding roads, as I would have in the 458 Speciale, a car 10 times the price and triple the power. That my good old BWW E39 M5 makes me smile as much as my 1M does when being pushed. That I am laughing out loud in my Megane R26.R when flat out, chasing my friend in his Cayman GT4 on our deserted mountain roads, lifting a rear wheel at every corner. That the V10 in the BMW E61 M5 Touring makes me forgive it's rubbish SMG and still makes me giggle at full revs.

Call me a dinosaur. But I pick fun over speed and statistics any day of the week. Because fun never tires! So I couldn't care less whether the Pista will be quicker or slower than the 720S. And that it will surely be slower than the 7xx LT. Because I am confident that the Pista will be more fun to drive. For me. Give me more goosebumps. More sound. More purity. Bigger smiles. And that's all I need.

Sorry for the long story. But I have some got time to kill on my flight to Geneva... ;-)

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Very well said. The same is true about the ability of my 205 hp, $110,000 Radical SR3 RSX to make me smile as it pulls 2.5G through corners and under braking. Or the giggle factor of just about any motorcycle as it’s leaned over in a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very fun official video on the Pista!

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and F2003-GA like this.
  11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Blitz, I don't want to disrespect you in any way, but you made several false statements recently. If you're not aware of the existence of the 458 Speciale Aperta, I suggest to do a little more homework before posting here

12. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Here here!! The truth spoken amongst these redundant speed/acceleration/lap time debates. Wind the fun factor up to 11 for me thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomTom77 likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I completely agree.
    My 16M is slower than all these cars, boasting a mere 500hp; however, it is epic fun to drive!

x-tremetuning likes this.
  14. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Right, here are my learnings from Geneva in a random order:
    1. The standard CF components are very limited, basically only the pieces (front winglets and rear splitter) that I've pointed out. This means that rear diffusor, the strip between the rear lights, the air ducts in the rear / side, the side skirts and the 'moustache' are all option. And the wheels, obviously. The silver car (with the CF wheels and everything CF) had about 100k USD in options (or 25% of the car's value in Swiss Francs). This is a smart marketing ploy from Ferrari, because it might trigger more people to add more CF to their car, otherwise it might look a bit 'messy', interchanging normal black with CF and vice versa?
    2. The interior is predictably comparable to the 458 Speciale. Nobody was clear about whether the seats will get the 'tech fabric' or alcantara as standard. Nothing exciting there.
    3. Storage space. I personally couldn't care less, but remember that some asked. There is a trunk behind the S-duct. See the picture below.
    4. The CF wheels sadly always require that grey coating on the inside of the rim due to the extreme heat from the brakes, which looks a bit off IMO. Combine that with the fact that the spoke design isn't my flavor, I might go for the standard ones...

Attached Files:

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  16. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I would add that the heat coating is ceramic and no one could tell me if it changed color after heating cycles or what it would look like after use

Melvok likes this.
  17. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Interesting! That's very different from what I've been today by 3 different people... :( I hope you are right and that this also applies in the rest of the world!

18. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Be interested if they have indicated the US base price yet for the car. Thanks.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I hope so as well.

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #870 of2worlds, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Well that grey ceramic color looks much better than the white colored protection film that was being passed off as the inner wheel liner...:rolleyes:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thank you Tom for the up to date view!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The carbon piece between the tail lights is a 'must have' feature for the Pista!

stavura and JagShergill like this.
  22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    A properly , well specced pista will cost much much more than that

of2worlds likes this.
  23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Ooooooooooo!! :) well put realzeus! :)

REALZEUS likes this.
  24. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    If you recall much of the exterior carbon fiber was an option on the 2008 Scuderia ( Full US Carbon Package ) but became standard on the 2009 Scuderia.

Wonder if they will be playing the same game here ?

of2worlds likes this.
  25. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Well put! +1