Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Porsche GT3 and GT4 ?

TomTom77 and Shadowfax like this.
  2. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Without wanting to go into semantics, IMHO, these are not supercars. I absolutely adore the GT4, having driven it flat out on many occasions and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but I wouldn't call it a supercar. For me, the GT3 loses some of that supercar-appeal too because of it's association with a 'plain' (but great) 911 Carrera. I owned one and whilst great, it's on a completely different level for me.

The 911 GT2 RS could / should be called a supercar based on performance alone. But has a PDK only.

Afonsolaw, Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You do have a point there.

And with gt2rs, it may not look like one, or sound like one, but sure goes like one.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Fabulous post. Thanks. Your passion is a joy to share. I'm out to the factory to spec mine late June, not sure I need TM as I'm pretty clear on what I want but based on your excellent post it's tempting just for the experience.

JagShergill likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Informative clip - looks hot!

racerdj, Makuono, Bhh and 8 others like this.
  6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing video, thank you for sharing.

of2worlds, Dolceexte and Shadowfax like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I liked the comparison showing the actual differences in the engine. Ferrari clearly only tune in the extra HP and torques after doing what they feel is necessary to achieve durability and reliability. Just doing a tune on its own must reduce the life.

Dolceexte likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I didn't see any mod to increase reliability, the are all mods done for weight reduction and power response time reduction. The 488 iron connecting rods are very likely much more reliable than the Pista titanium ones

Shadowfax and Dolceexte like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Reliability/durability share equal footing in many ways. The engine is generating higher HP than previously so as the cubic capacity has also not changed that can only mean more stress will transfer onto these parts from the higher combustion temperatures and cylinder pressures?
    The lighter weight is also appreciated in this case but I see the engine RPM limit has not increased from previously.

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I cannot tell the source, but the 488 engine is very well conceived and reliable, with no weak points as reliability. Maybe even too much, as with the Pista they ligthtened rods, crankshaft and even flywheel. The Turbochargers size sets the maximum revs: those installed obviously cannot flow enough air to push the engine at higher RPM levels, but the crankshaft and rods could stand it. It was a choice done to improve power response, as the top power is already enough

Resuming: I think that the 488 GTB engine can stand 800+ hp

Bhh, Caeruleus11, Bundy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sounds logical. Any improvement is an improvement! 488 engine is so good now and sounds great so I'm sure Pista will be next level! Can't wait to drive one!

Bhh, F1 corsa, Bundy and 1 other person like this.
  12. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    I really like Your spec but if I keep my Bianco Speciale I would rather take a different color for the Pista...
    Maybe silver like in Geneva but without the blue lines...

13. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I thought about that. But I had a stint of 6 or so consecutive silver cars in the past and got bored with it. Plus I personally think that these (race-inspired Special Versions) look better in a non-metallic. Different folks...

14. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015

TomTom77 likes this.
  15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jag I am guessing you highly recommend TM experience and premium. I am really pondering the idea but a few others are telling me to pass due to the options minimum and the fact that the Pista can already be highly customized. Your thoughts would be really appreciated.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Does someone have the UK options and pricing list please?

17. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Got a call from factory. White will not have stripes of any type for the time being. Changed my order from white to silver launch color.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wonder with all the lightening of various parts , flywheel , crankshaft , rods etc affect the idle and it is set higher ? Welded exhaust manifolds with turbo's , does anyone else go this ?

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild definitely agree, past experience

20. will89

will89 Karting

Dec 29, 2013
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Will
    Nice one Tom. When is the delivery and are you collecting it in Dubai or Abu?
    Mine should be Q1 2019, still can't make my mind up on a few specc options.

We definitely need to do a meet up when the new toys arrive.

21. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thanks - I completely agree that if you’re pretty much 99% sure then TM not worth delaying the spec for as the dates are really rammed full apparently ... however I’m excited for when you do do a Tm as you’re right the experience is more than worth it / unfortunately addictive though !!

Shadowfax, Camlet1 and of2worlds like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Still when customers are "regulars" with the tailor made program it seems those newest model allocations come fairly easily. Especially compared to the fight some others have to put up to get an allocation for a special model...
    600 tailor made builds per year?

23. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very good insight! I was pondering a Tailor Made but my wife (yes wife) is absolutely against it. She doesn't feel up for going all the way and then she is adding in the need to go to Paris (Hermes) and plus we need to bring our two young boys (will be 6 and 3). Yikes! What I thought would be a quick in and out experience turns into a full family vacation hahaha.

of2worlds and JagShergill like this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I was told by the TM team that there are currently 150 - 200 Tailor Made builds per year, up from just over 100 in the past. Of course, I’m not including the recent 70th Ann models.

I believe they have only two design appointments per day, and I’m not sure if they offer appointments every day? That would seem to theoretically limit the builds to no more than 300-400 per annum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowfax and of2worlds like this.
  25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very interesting, thank you for sharing those 'tailor made' build details here!

Bundy likes this.