Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 69 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    James May...
    THIS MAY be a measure of how overindulged I’ve become, but of all the world’s circuits, the one I know best — the only one I can remember with any certainty — is Ferrari’s private test track at Fiorano. I even know the names of some of the people working there.

So there I was, having just cleared the blind crest of the bridge and committed myself to the right-hander that leads to the downhill approach to the slow double-left bit (see what I mean?), in the fastest production Ferrari to have been timed around this track, the 711bhp 488 Pista. As the corner opened up, I steeled myself and gave it what some of my professional rivals call “full tap”.

Well, I performed a gorgeous and perfectly controlled tail flick followed by a smooth transition to the full-bore run down to the left and left again. This sort of thing could do enormous damage to my Captain Slow reputation, but in my defence it was the car what done it. I simply mashed the pedal, and Ferrari’s boffins performed the stunt on my behalf through the good offices of electronic driver aids and chassis dynamics.
    It was bloody good, though. I hope people were watching. Ferrari is still the premier purveyor of exquisite driving artworks. No other car maker can cajole engineering and aesthetics into quite the same happy confluence — it does my head in.

In the 488 Pista (meaning “track”), shape, sound, smell and colour are perfectly arranged to produce such a fizz that I believe it could move something in the bowels of Christ.

There are some who dismiss the whole “Ferrari effect” as an elaborate and cynical marketing operation designed to sell baseball caps. They are simply not my friends. I can be at a dinner party and allow my mind to sneak away and think about being in a Ferrari while my face and mouth maintain an apparent interest in Brexit. It’s that bad.
    But I see two problems with the Pista. The first is personal, as I own this car’s predecessor, the 458 Speciale. The second is the appearance of the A110, a pocket-size sports car made by Alpine, the Renault skunkworks. More on this — the greatest thing to come out of France since the Mouli cheese grater — later.

When the Pista was announced a few months ago, I received a call from my automotive drug dealer to say I could have one, but I’d have to make my mind up by Monday. It was Friday evening. I struggled with this one for the whole weekend. It didn’t help that continued enthusiasm for the Speciale, the last of the naturally aspirated V8 Fezzas, is such that I could sell it at a healthy profit, buy the Pista (£252,765) and still have enough change for a new suit and a slap-up fish supper.

The Pista would almost certainly be better than my car, because the latest special edition of a mid-engined V8 Ferrari has always been superior to the previous one, all the way back to the 360 Challenge Stradale. The Pista would give me an extra 114bhp, even more sophisticated aerodynamics and yet more subtle electronic intervention when you’re taunting the Reaper with a pointy stick. It might even look better.

I just couldn’t decide. In the end I decided to stick with what I had. For a start, a part of me I despise believes my car — one of the last built of the last of the naturally aspirated blah, blah, blah — is a shrewd investment.

Moreover, my orange (with gold wheels) Speciale is very much mine, personally specified in the last yawning moments of production at a time when my professional life was in some turmoil and in accordance with the mantra once relayed to me by Chris Evans: “Always buy the Ferrari you can’t really afford.” It somehow can’t belong to anyone else.

So that’s that, then. But, dammit, the Pista is better. This was impressed upon me relentlessly during my Fiorano visit, which I thought was a bit insensitive. It began during the obligatory pre-drive technical presentation. Everything is lighter and more responsive, and the motor sport technology transfer (largely from the 488 Challenge racing car) is the most intensive on any road-going Ferrari to date.

There were attempts to be groovy, such as a graph to illustrate the “longitudinal fun to drive index” and even the brief appearance of the caption “Fun 2 drive”, which almost made me bite the rubber off my Ferrari pencil.

Ferrari is not groovy. Rather, it is devoted to making the next V8 special edition faster and more controllable around Fiorano than the last one; otherwise it isn’t a Ferrari.

Back to Fiorano, then. The Pista is breathtaking: blisteringly fast yet surprisingly benign, thanks to all that stuff in the graphs.

For my hot laps, I pedalled it far more aggressively than I would dare in an original 360 Challenge Stradale with almost 300bhp less. The Pista’s 711bhp may sound absurd for a 1,385kg car, but as Ferrari’s chief test driver once famously said, as long as you’re in control, the power is never enough.

Now I must introduce that Alpine A110, which I was driving a few weeks ago. Where Ferrari has applied its considerable intelligence to refining the supercar idea — power, turbocharging, use of lightweight materials, control of slip angles, speed of gearchanges and so on — Alpine has applied its to sports car basics.

The A110 makes do with a 249bhp four-pot unit, but it weighs not much more than a ton and is properly tiny. It is, most significantly, much narrower than the Pista.

This isn’t really about downsizing, saving fuel or reducing emissions. The ruthless paring translates as genuine mid-engined magic and tremendous feel in a real world of unknown bends and cars coming the other way.
    The experience suffused me with supercar doubt. Just what, in reality, is the 488 Pista for? I’ve oft argued that driving something like a Ferrari is an act of civic generosity, like buying a Matisse and hanging it on the outside of your house so others can enjoy it. But I now wonder if owning a 488 Pista is like buying a Matisse and hanging it on your wall back to front, so you merely know the picture is there. Its abilities are that unfathomable.

I’m conflicted here. Ferrari says 60% of Pista owners will go on track days, but I find that hard to believe. Aside from one or two other people who earn a living talking cobblers about cars, I don’t know anyone who goes on track days. I certainly don’t take my Ferrari on track days. How could I enjoy it, waiting to be shunted up the chuff by an ambitious and fearless youth in a cut’n’shut Subaru?

At the same time, I don’t buy that tired old argument that supercars are “unusable” in the real world. Of course you can’t hope to exploit the dark corners of their capabilities, but that is also true of hot hatches.

The beauty of a track-bred Ferrari is that its ability to do all the Fiorano stuff makes it feel exotic in normal use. It lends an incredible clarity to its operation. It also makes it credible, like a watch that can be used at a depth of 650ft-plus, even though you’re not going there.

The fact is that, after fooling myself at the track, I took the Pista for a lengthy drive around the back roads of Emilia-Romagna, and it was utterly delightful. There are few activities to match the excitement of piloting a special-edition Ferrari with a rabid engine snarling away right behind your head. It makes me sick with a sort of machine paraphilia.

Should I have taken Ferrari up on its kind offer? Probably. OK, definitely. I haven’t, though, have I? But I have paid the deposit on an Alpine.

Read more: http://jamesmayboard.proboards.com/thread/4110/james-times-more-liberal-people#ixzz5ct0lqg3X

-CD-, roma1280, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    really well summed up

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How much do you think he was paid for this article? :).

4. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    I was supposed to have my Pista delivered end of April.....they called me to inform me that if I want to keep the carbon wheels option there will a +- 5 months delay...

Someone got the same info?

They proposed me to take the car with the normal wheels and to purchase the carbone ones when they will available.....I am wondering...
    1-would it be possible to buy them at a later stage ...and at what price...
    2-sounds stupid but what about the resale value in some years...

Tam

5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Its not like its part of a package like Porsche with Weisach's magnesium wheels. So IMO take the car now and if you can get them later "go for it". you might find you lose interest in them (or the reviews on them are bad) and you've saved yourself quite a bit

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    I think that you are right ... but just was wondering...
    Do we know if in case of a « problem « would it possible to repair them,,,?

We are talking about a big amount $$$
    Tam

7. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    No repair :(

8. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    no repair
    in any case if you choose carbon wheels you should buy a standard set and put it on before using the car
    properly package the carbon wheels and storage them :)

IMHO take the car and then buy the carbon wheels if you really want them
    I will do the same also because for spider are not available even at tailor made

9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    And how much did you like the article? Was it worth the money? ;)

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Honestly I find him quite entertaining and IMO best of the bunch. I wouldn't base my car buying on his opinion though - good or bad.

uhn2000, Jo Sta7 and kandi like this.
  11. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Hahah, yes. I'd say that James May's thoughts on paper are more appreciated amongst people who like to read articles about cars, but not necessarily amongst hardcore car fans. And to finish this post on a slightly funny note I'll say that I don't know who paid him for that article. Maybe Ferrari, maybe Alpine, ... maybe his editor?:)

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    April delivery for you would mean what production month? February or March?

13. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015

Good question...I ll check...

Tam

14. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Gone quiet on here guy's, where's all the new owners reviews, pictures & videos.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Was surprised by the Evo guy who drove one from south east uk up to the border of Scotland ..said it was as comfortable/easy to drive as a Ford Mondeo.

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    #1716 F140C, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    TLDR: He loves the Pista, he didn't buy one, he's going to be the future owner of an Alpine.

Did I miss something?

The manufacturer (CarbonRev) says it's possible to repair CF wheels as long as the damage doesn't extend below the first layer of carbon fibre (so if nothing really serious happened). If I were the lucky owner of a Pista with CF rims, I'd contact them and see what can be done in case of damage (bypassing Ferrari if necessary).

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I guess he doesn't want to sell the Speciale ..so just adds the Alpine to his stable .

18. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    He was probably thinking about longer term investment. I wish he never sells his Speciale.

19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Why does Porsche not sell cars with CF wheels?
    Why Magnesium vs CF?

I asked this very question of someone who was a supplier for Porsche. He said that Porsche considered CF wheels, but went with Mag because of all the issues expressed here.
    and then he said Porsche was very concerned about the heat from the brakes. He told me that CF is not designed to deal with the heat from the brakes. That is why the CF wheels have liners. Porsche evidently believes that the liners in the barrels of the wheels are not enough to prevent cause damage to the CF wheels. Heat was the issue.

20. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Porsche now offers carbon fiber wheels. There is a 911 Turbo s cab at Porsche exchange in the US with the carbon fiber wheels.

21. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks @Fixer03 I just read a bunch of Jame's articles. Such a great writer (ffading art), and I love the thumbs up he gave the T - mine will be here very soon.

Fixer03 likes this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-carbon-wheels-braided-world-premiere-911-turbo-s-exclusive-series-14064.html

23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ford has cf wheels on cobra 350r for several years now. Wonder what the experience is with them?

24. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
  25. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That’s hard to watch.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.