Ferrari 488 Pista | Page 71 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilikefastcars1, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Perfect ! Just what I was looking for, someone who actually owns both and can compare. I figured the 720s was faster as it’s really fast and imo hypercar fast. What’s impressive, however, is just how fast the Pista is. I didn’t expect the Ferrari to be as fast as the GT2 RS (one of my favorite cars). Ferrari has definitely stepped up their performance with the Pista though especially compared to the 488. Excited to see what the future brings.

lamborarri and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks. But honestly i expected the Pista to be faster than the GT2 Rs above 200kmh all the way to the top. But it is simply not.
    The 2Rs is pretty stable in thermo dynamics, hot weahter condition, maybe due to the waterspray over the intercooler. Launtch of the 2Rs is easy and perfect. 720s and 675lt much more difficult out of the box. But in therms of highspeed acceleration, the 720s is just faster than both. My own experiance up to 300kmh 720s around 2-3 sec faster than the gt2 Rs and pista and about 4 sec fastet then the 675lt.
    Now many people say it is due tu massive power, but in real world the 720s is around 750hp and nowhere near 800hp. Sportauto and sportcars had it on the dyno and come out around 740-750hp. I think it is a mixure of its real weigth, aero, power under the curve.
    Gear ratio is actually pretty long..

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't doubt that this was your experience, but instruments tell a different story:
    https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/ferrari488pista-1542723271.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*
    https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/porsche911gt2rs-1542723270.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*

4. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    same day same condition and no press car, neither for porsche nor ferrari

I am more intrested in real world experience by own

Gh21631 and howydo like this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yes, but without putting instruments and the same driver in each car, the results won't be reliable. It only takes a fraction of a second for one driver to get the jump on the other, or running into the limiter and the results will be skewed.

6. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    All of this sounds like a penis size contest. Point in fact is that they are all FAST. My question is other than a track where can you use this speed and unless you are an amazing driver, who can get to use the potential of any of these these cars?

F140C, MuratC, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  7. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Same old argument! The difference can be felt even on the streets. A lot of people DO CARE about performance numbers especially when we are talking about expensive exotic PERFORMANCE CARS!! I have driven many many cars that are “only” a couple seconds apart to 124mph or even 1 sec apart to 100mph and YES I can feel the difference.

8. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Your posting/statement is a car forum type sentiment. It doesn't jive with what the manufactures are doing or the sentiment of the vast number of people who buy and use these cars.

howydo likes this.
  9. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Do not get me wrong, I love fast cars and have been a Ferrari owner since 1974. It is just at this point in time the performance is so off the charts for all of these cars that the average user such as myself comes nowhere near reaching their limits. If you can reach those limits, my hat is off to you.

10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    An interesting question is when almost all supercars have performance that are beyond human potential to drive them, what then becomes the differentiating sales factors. I recently had a discussion witth the head of product for the next generation of a vehicle that will outstrip the current announced and current rumored vehicles from any manufacturer. Both street as well as F1. This vehicle will wind up as a street vehicle in 2024 time frame. What then? For sure, design, connectedness, etc will always drive and be important. The interesting business question I was thinking about is as performance starts to eclipse human performance, what does this mean for the strategy of all these supercar segments. Fun to think about.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Your grandmother could drive most of these cars at extremely high speeds,until you turn off the 'nannies'. Then you have to know what you are doing.

12. Riki

Riki Rookie

Feb 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Madrid
    I have a question with the 488 pista spider . According to Ferrari specifications, the 488 spider weigths 50 kg more than the 488 GTB, why the 488 spider track weigths 100 kg more than the 488 pista?

13. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    i dont know but i think maybe you havent done much of rolling race ex. 100kmh to 300kmh. lets say the cars need around 20sec to get from 100-300kmh. Dont you think the performance dif is very much visible even one starts 0.1 sec later to accelerate than the other. 20 sec of full acceleration is a lot, and a lot of time to catch a jump start. And if it is really a jump start we do it again..

14. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    ha ha! None of us can come close to maximizing performance on any of these cars and that has been the case for some time. However, they are plenty fun when trying to use it for performance purposes.

I'm not trying to troll anyone with this video but this is the typical results and doesn't take much skill in a straight line (I've posted this video but it was buried in another long running thread). My 720s at a COTA HPDE day. No roll race on back straight. Just driving in the normal course of tracking. Not me driving (I let another one of my friends who is an extremely good driver take it out for this session (driver has a GT2RS and passenger has gt3rs.2, 488 and getting Pista).

Go to 3:20 which is as we are entering the back straight. (spoiler; 488 with 100 hp tune and hoosier tires and performante get taken down pretty quickly).

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
  16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Part of it could be that the Pista coupe is based on a car being equipped with the carbon wheels which are not offered on the Spider.

17. Riki

Riki Rookie

Feb 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Madrid
    yes but that can be 8 or 10 kg maximum, they still have 40 kg left over. maybe it has more reinforcements in the body than the 488 regular spider?

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Saw my first Pista in person today. $345 base + $100K in options. The car was stunning. I did not take a pic as I didn't think it was cool since the owner had not taken delivery.

gzachary likes this.
  19. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Saw a Blue tdf Pista today.
    Interesting, as none of exterior panels nor engine bay were CF.

It looked surprisingly good.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  21. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    #1771 Fixer03, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019

Bringing The Original Thread Back.

kandi likes this.
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    People that want to use the power find places to do it. I am one of those people. I visit the track and I take my cars to the dragstrip although I have only taken the 488 out to my practice spot for the 1/4 mile and 0-60 type testing. I am really interested to see the Pista clocking a 10.1s quarter at 144mph on pump gas. That's impressive.

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    In real life, the 720s feels much much faster than the GT2RS. I feel like the GT2RS is kinda similar to 488 in a straight line acceleration. Maybe my 2RS only had 500 miles and too fresh? One thing I do notice tho, both 720s and 2RS can do the same acceleration without any brain cell all the time, whereas 488 depends on how you handle the traction. Have not driven a pista yet, so I would hope it's faster than the 2RS but I do have a feeling that it still wont match the 720s acceleration.

howydo and Gh21631 like this.
  24. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    It’s funny. 99% of owners of Pista, gt2 and 720 will never approach the limits of these machines. It’s like buying your wife a range rover mostly for its off road capabilities. Please. The question is, after a lifetime of hard work and finally putting yourself in a position to buy one of these magnificent beasts, which do you want to drive. A split second faster or slower is meaningless to that decision. Whichever one is you, that’s the right one. Ignore the noise by those who can only snipe at your choice from the rafters, who can only read about these cars and dwell on the negative. Whichever you pick, celebrate your choice, no regrets. My choice is pista, currently being completed and ready for shipping. Hats off to those buying 720 and gt2. Congrats, my brothers. vive la différence!

rocketman, Juli, Thecadster and 12 others like this.
  25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1000

What he said!