Ferrari 550 Youtube Ownership Videos | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Youtube Ownership Videos

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DOWORKFCAR, Oct 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Hi everyone! I wanted to share my recent Youtube videos of my ownership experience with you all. Recently the starter died on my 550 and had to be replaced. I have decided to start making these videos to show people that you truly can own these cars without insane costs as some believe. I also love hearing the wonderful motor, can't beat that V12 sound.

The 550 community is small and I have to say thank you again to FChat as it is a wonderful resource!

2. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Beautiful car and sweet colour! You likely could have a starter rebuild shop do it vs new. Obviously personal preference.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Cool color combo. The black windows maches the rest of the black details! Congrats on your purchase. This is one of the coolest cars you can own in my (subjective) but honest opinion. About your starting / immobilizer skills... :) When the car is locked, and you unlock it with the fob (remote control button), you can start it right up. But if the car is unlocked, the immobilizer will go on automatically after 120 seconds. That means you can press one time to disable the immobilizer and then start the car. If you unlock it when it is already unlocked (by pressing two times) and the door is open, the locks will go to locked position and then immedeately go to open again because it is not possible to lock/arm the door when it is open. I believe it is not good for the rods and stuff inside the door... one press after 120 seconds is enough Where are you running it? Continue making videos please :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  4. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016

This is exactly why I love FChat!!

Thank you for the advice. The dealer I purchased the car from did not explain this technique well....I was a bit confused...still clearly am. I also made a mistake when buying this car....only 1 black fob. I'm fixing that situation this winter. Lesson learned. Your explanation makes sense and I will try it next time! I never knew about the 120 seconds rule.

I will most definitely continue to make videos as I love this car. Many many cars can be purchased in this price range but nothing stirs the soul as the 550. I fell in love with the color as it is difficult to find a yellow 550.

Thank you again for the thorough explanation!

F456M likes this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There should be a separate manual supplied with your car (at least it came with the car when the car was new). There you can read everything about the alarm system. How is the low front bumper in the US? I mean with that overhang and the deep and steep "drain curbs" or what you call it in America, my thought would be that the bumper really will hit the ground? I have a XK8 in Miami and even that, which basically have the "shape of a boat's bow" can hit the ground every now and then. I am thinking to myself when it does that, "what if I was here with my 550 (which is home in Europe)....?!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Nicely done. I am also new to an F-car hopefully F is for Ferrari and nothing else:). Just subscribed to your channel maybe will ad something to it in the future. Had my car about a month drove it few times but decided to take to the mechanic right away and just do a major service. Good luck with the car. Curious to what is the milage on your car.
    Keep the videos coming.

F456M likes this.
  7. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    Surprisingly the 550 isn't too low and has decent clearance. The nose does overhang and I'm always aware of it. That said, I am always watching the road to make sure I won't bottom her out. Luckily I have already scoped out all of the local great driving roads that are free of dips and "drain curbs" ;)

F456M likes this.
  8. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    Congrats on your Ferrari! It's an amazing feeling. You are very smart to get the car well sorted before you start driving. I also took mine to the mechanic right away and had a major, all fluids, tires, etc. done. I just turned over 46k mile! The body and motor are in excellent condition and I plan on putting on some memorable miles!

F456M likes this.
  9. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nice! I just subscribed looking forward to more.

11. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    May I ask, in the video the car is in the shifter in in the reverse gear before startup....is this customary on the 550? I don't ever leave mine in any gears when off...I just use th emergency brake. I'm new to the 550 too.

12. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    I meant the shifter in the car...been up too early with a 3 year old..lol

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I always leave mine in gear when I shut her down, with the parking brake off. But I always select neutral before starting. Just a matter of what you have had trouble with in the past.

LARRYH likes this.
  14. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks! I will be posting more 550 content!

Bas and F456M like this.
  15. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016

When I park the car I put it in a gear, usually first or reverse depending on the slope I’m on. I do this because when I bought the car the e brake needed adjustment....the e brake would POP out and the car would roll....not pleasant.
    So I always leave it in gear. That said, to start it I put it in neutral first and then start it up!

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree. My 360 gave me fits with its low front clip (pun intended). The 550 is pretty low visually but not a problem with real world driving.

F456M likes this.
  17. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    Thanks for the explanations on why it's left in gear during parked. I use the ebrake and put a wheel chock behind the rear wheel..just in case it ever lets go. So far so good, it hasn't moved but I understand why some leave it in gear.

18. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Agreed on the 550 clearance. Much easier to deal with than the impossibly loooow 360 spider.. Just be careful of the small front bumper splitters. I've had them refinished a number of times.. Tall curbs be dammed!

F456M likes this.