Ferrari 599 "Alonso-Edition Registry | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 "Alonso-Edition Registry

Discussion in '612/599' started by Anton1950, May 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    :) well the two "serious buyers" have both vanished... not replied to e-mail or VM.. so no, not yet.. if I get a decent job offer though maybe I'll be able to finish the updates i planned and then who knows.. I drove it the other day and even after all this time it just makes me smile.

2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Sorry the sale has not gone as smoothly as it should have. There's a lot of TLC in that GTO and it shows. Times ar tough but I'm sure the right buyer is out there. The upside as already stated is.... That every day behind the wheel is a good day.

3. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
  4. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  5. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    Ben,

Please share the events of your new purchase with us.

Mark

6. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Surely.

Christine and I got our 599 60F1 in April. Then there was the terrible earthquake in Italy in May, and Ferrari created the auction for Emilia. I looked at their auction site, looked at the 599XX EVO, and recall thinking that it looked like an amazing car, but that some billionaire or celebrity was probably going to end up winning the auction, and that was a shame because it was a car that enthusiasts (and particularly, Ferrari enthusiasts) like us would treasure.

Fast forward to June 19th. I get a phone call mid-day from James from Ferrari / San Francisco. James knew that Christine and I were thinking about buying an Enzo, and he spent about 30 minutes explaining what the XX auction meant to Ferrari, and also what the Corse Clienti program offered. I was... well, beyond excited. It was the sort of once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: to drive a Ferrari race car around some of the iconic tracks of the world, receive 1-on-1 instruction and telemetry analysis, and to help Ferrari provide relief to many of the same people who were part of the Ferrari ecosystem. I called Christine from work and laid it out for her, and her reaction was immediate: do it. I called James back, we assembled the paperwork, and submitted a bid on the auction's XX EVO.

We didn't sleep much that night. I seem to recall waking up several times and visiting the auction site, then watching XX track videos on YouTube until the sun rose and it was time to go to work again. I guesstimated our odds of winning at about 1:3 -- auction prices are very unpredictable and this was a truly special opportunity -- but I was beside myself with anticipation none the less.

The Ferrari auction site closed at 4pm local. At about 9:30am California I was starting to wonder who had won, since I hadn't heard anything, when I got an email from James. It was two sentences -- one congratulating us on winning, and one noting that he was so excited that it had taken him 10 minutes just to type the 30-word note. The rest of the day will forever be etched in my memory - the call with James and Greg at 10am, the conference call with Christine and Marco Mattiacci at noon, Mr. Mattiacci's delightful followup suggestion of a design theme for the XX, more details about the event... it would take pages to describe everything, and I remember it all like it was yesterday.

We'll be presented our XX on Sep 8th. By Alonso and Massa. At the Monza Racetrack in Italy, during the F1 race weekend at Monza. Where we'll be the guest of Ferrari for the race weekend. Two months later, it still seems quite surreal. I hope to see a few of you there!

... and that is the story of how we came to have two Ferrari 599s.

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

That shield is not too small.

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Congrats!

9. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    The XX is an amazing Ferrari. Ny sincerest congratulations and best wishes in enjoying such a magnificant automobile. I will be taking my 599GTO out for its fall track day next week. I am positive that your XX will provide an even more exciting and amazing experience. Enjoy in good health.

10. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    Ben, I have been told that you picked a shade of yellow. Is this correct? Any more details of the car that you can describe with pictures if possible?

Mark

11. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    When we spoke with Mr. Mattiacci he proposed an idea for the car's colors but made it clear it was 100% our choice. Christine and I discussed it and agreed we liked his idea for a variety of reasons -- including that they were some of our favorite car colors. Once we gave our approval, Ferrari produced and sent renderings of the car using the colors Mr. Mattiacci had suggested, and we just about fell off our chair.

As for the colors and design - I don't want to spoil the surprise. The car's due to be unveiled on 8 September at Monza, and I'll post pictures very shortly thereafter.

12. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    Was this an intended hint?

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Very cool. Please be sure to start a dedicated thread to relate the delivery of your XX! Congratulations and enjoy the ride!

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Ben treynor, from viper club nor cal?
    Ed

15. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Small world, isn't it? :)

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Ben, still into vipers? Last i remember, you were drag racing a mercedes....
    Ed

17. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    [off thread, this thread's about 599s and Alonso :) ]

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Ben, thanks for the pm. Glad to hear all is well. Now, back on topic. Congrats on the new ferrari. Cant wait to see pix.
    Ed

19. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow very cool!!!!!! I was windering who won it. Hopefully I'll see you at Monza!

20. 599_GTB

599_GTB Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Josef
  21. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Congratulations
    We were at the table next to you and Christine at Montana during lunch Monday.
    What a great special few days ! The food was so good we eat there three times in two days !

22. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I agree - the food at Montana was insanely good. I had no idea Lasagne or Ravioli could taste like that. It's fortunate I live a long long way from Maranello, because I would quickly stop fitting into a Ferrari sport seat if I had the opportunity to eat there every day.

What an amazing place - and what an amazing trip.

23. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark

That's kind of funny I think I was at Montana at the same time as all of you. I was at the table in the corner where the food comes out/dumb-waiter. It was some good food for sure! Enjoy the new car!

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #74 markmoon, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    Congrats on a beautiful car and my personal favorite livery of the three!