Ferrari 599 F1 to MT Conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 F1 to MT Conversion

Discussion in '612/599' started by SAFE4NOW, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congrats on getting this far, but that clutch pedal does not look stock.

I've heard of other conversion efforts also having difficulties getting the factory clutch pedals. Wonder if Ferrari is making them near impossible to acquire.

2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Yes it is an OEM brake pedal.

You are correct, we used an OEM clutch pedal, had it 3D scanned, then had it created from a block of alum. ( CNC not cast )

After pricing and confirming stock, inventory went dry, and we were already committed.

The pedal pad will attach the same as OEM as well.

I'm keeping an eye out for salvaged 612/599's just in case...

S

3. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Awesome thread. I'll be watching.

And thanks for documenting the conversion.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You realize that sounds like a a conspiracy theory. Ferrari is much too busy getting the new cars out to worry about causing troubles for a few individuals. There is no inventory because there were essentially none made so no need for inventory.

5. bigmacsmallfries

Aug 31, 2015
    Fascinating, now will others be able to convert their 599s or is Ferrari holding back on selling these parts? It's the clutch pedal now, but what about the other parts in the future?

6. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Love the project! It should be noted that a 2007 599 GTB sold last week at Auctions America with a manual gear box and 16600 miles for $412,500.00. That is sick money for an otherwise $150,000.00 F1 car.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    Fantastic work, thanks for sharing all the pics!

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    True about the ridiculous prices. When this generation of cars was being sold, no one knew that Ferrari would soon be abandoning MT for the foreseeable future.

Regardless, an endeavor such as this should be for someone who loves the experience of a MT in a modern V12 Ferrari at a reasonable price. Not a prospector.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The converted cars will obviously never be as valuable as the original factory shipped ones. I don't think people are paying 3x as much for the manual gearbox as much as they're paying for the rarity of the combination...as with most Ferrari's.

It's great that this is a viable option though for people that want to drive their cars and miss rowing gears.

That said, I'm not sure if I'd want a manual in a 599. That's a ton of power to efficiently make use of with 3 pedals while doing some spirited driving. I think I'd take the F1 in the 599 still.

For the price of an original 599 manual though, you could get a nice 550 as well as a 599 F1, with $100k+ left over for fuel and maintenance. :)

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    That's a great point.

Interestingly enough, the part that's holding us up right now, from delivering the car is the interior center tunnel panel. Since it is shaped differently than the F1 car, it had to be ordered. It was one of the 1st pieces we ordered , it still has not come in!

S

11. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Any updates as to drivability, success, cost, durability of the conversion?

Have 599 candidate.

Thanks,

Jack

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Drives great and smooth as designed and expected.

Center tunnel we have been waiting on for months has finally arrived!

Cost -- still a work in process, as on this conversion, pretty much each item was sourced new from Ferrari , with exception to the clutch pedal. Once we are done-done, I will come back with a reasonable price to do the conversion again.

Durability -- That will come over time, each part is OEM Ferrari, and there was no need to " make something work " it was pretty much all bolt in and adjust. It took more time creating the list all the parts required, tracking them down, the R&D if you will... than the actual work time to put it all together.

We made this conversion 100% perfect , cut no corners.

The next one, we can present options , which will save some money here or there, all depends on what the client wants as the end product.

We are expecting to have it completely turn key and detailed for delivery 2 weeks from today.

S

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congrats on your determination to complete this quest.

I am considering the same thing for my 612 - if the cost is reasonable and parts are available. I know others who are doing this and parts availability appears to be the biggest hurdle.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is quite a bit of commonality between the 612 and 550/575M (and even 456) manual shift parts. May make it a bit easier to find parts for the 612 conversion.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct Terry, but I think converting a 599 is more special than a 612 imo ... as there seem to be less 599 F cars ...

Just my 2 cents ...

16. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    The 550 and 575 shift linkage and pedal accommodation are basically identical. The 612 parts are not the same but similar. The difficulties come with the interior trim. Converting a 575 to stick-shift requires no interior trim component replacement. Converting a 612 does present difficulties with interior trim and the 599 even more.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Oh I saw it coming just that my timing was off.

The legend goes there is an investor in the Orient ordered up and bought the last 3 red manual transmission 599s back when.

The trick is picking the NEXT one.
    So far my batting average is pretty good.

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is an awesome project, I can't wait to see the final cost.

With the clutch pedal already 3D scanned I assume they can use the scan again?

19. caferacermike

caferacermike Rookie

Jun 5, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great Thread! - Love seeing everything come together so well.

Was wondering how the final package all worked out, how many miles have been put on since the conversion and if there were any issues with the on-board computers being confused or throwing check engine lights etc?

Thank you in advance

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Yep, we kept the file , so if/when we wanted to take it on again, we could , with minimal down time!

Still working with it.

Currently waiting on center console leather panels from Italy!

But as far as driving the car, everything is working as expected, which means, well.

;-)

S

21. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Steve, thats great work and Awesome! Congrats. We just ordered all of our parts yesterday for our F430 swap here in San Antonio.

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Very cool, you should start a build thread on it!

S

23. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Will definitely start one!

24. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Any update to the conversion?

Cost?
    Downtime?
    Durability/reliability?
    Availability of OEM parts?

Thx for the great thread and project.

25. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Cost Parts and Labor $90,000
    Downtime - Assuming parts ordered in advance , turn around time should be less than 30 days
    Durability - Too soon to tell, but using all OEM parts and everything is as designed by Ferrari, I would expect the same reliability as an org 6 speed
    Availability of parts - THAT is the tricky part. Most will be , the clutch pedal itself is not, we have several in stock for future conversions. The control module programing is also NOT available, but we have the " key " and have OEM software in the conversion car now. No tricks, no plug ins, its coded as a 6 speed was/is and works as such!

:)

Steve