AUS - Ferrari and Exotic Spotters | Page 2 | FerrariChat

AUS Ferrari and Exotic Spotters

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ragtop, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    My son and I met my wife and daughter at Huts for dinner. Some lucky owner parked his black 360 spider with tan interior and Daytona seats right by the door. My son, all 3 years two month of him, said, "Rari" (ferrari), and wanted to run his hands over like he does to my cars, but I stopped him in time. First 360 Spider I've seen up close, really nice looking car, and since my wife was sooooo late, we walked around, I was teaching my son about pedestrian lights, and watching other peoples reactions to the car. The car did have bird droppings, on it, and I would have taken it to a car wash and cleaned it up by hand if I knew who to ask for the keys.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I would have cried tears of joy!*

no, seriously, I would have.

3. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes

I crack up laughing every time I see you post. Your picture is just too funny. It's an Austin thing I guess.

4. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    "I would have cried tears of joy!*"

Well, I am damn proud of him. Amazing how much they learn and know at that age.

As for "Office Space" I personally don't view it as an "Austin thing" (FYI for those not in on that, it was filmed in Austin), but rather, much like dilbert, one of those things that if you work/suffer in corporate America, that movie hits home with you. I think you could find LOTS of people who swear lundberg (sp) was based on their boss.

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    You guys missed a good time in Austin today. I took the TR to RPM Karts this morning for the photo shoot with the Austin Models. Now that was fun to watch. I'll post a few pics when they get developed.

6. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    Khayes,
    Uhmm, what are the "Austin Models" (bikini thread thoughts here)? Also, I think I've seen your TR several times, 1325 going into Mopac, and Parmer lane. If it is, sure looks nice and sounds sweeter!

Carl

7. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    http://www.austinmodelsandtalent.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33

Here is a link to the Austin Model and Talent Web site where the pics are getting posted. The photo shoot was for Austin Motorsports Magazine. Someone posted the event here a few weeks ago, I replied with interest and got details via email. They are just starting to get some of the first pictures posted today, mine is not up there yet. You have got to see the shot with the girl in the yellow checkered outfit.

I live on 620 so that is probably me you are seeing on Parmer. I put the Tubi on last year and love the new sound.

8. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    I wanted to meet you but didn't get a chance to. I was amazed at how clean and immaculate your car is! I hope to catch you at another event soon. -Paul

9. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    WOW!!! this thread was pushed to page #2! I figure with the weather getting nicer, we would spot more Ferraris around town? Any hoo.....

I was heading down 360/Ben White today going to lunch and saw a nice 308 heading West towards Barton Creek Mall. Puuuurty.:D

10. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Well, it's about time...

Saw a nice silver 360 at RPM's this saturday afternoon. Then on my way home, heading south on Mopac after I passed the 35th st exit, I saw a red 360 and a tuned silver Porsche (996?) in front of it like they must have been out cruising together. Great weekend for a cruise!

11. texas360modena

Dec 15, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Saw a beautiful tdf blue 355 spider turning onto 360 near lamar today. Sounded great!

12. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Saw a red 355GTB off of Riverside at the shopping center with Joy East. Just had come out from eating and I saw it parked :) Pretty sure it was Mitch since I saw his car at AMD earlier in the day. NICE

13. 3DMotorsports

3DMotorsports Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    Everyone make sure to go see the Robert Rodriguez movie "Sin City" when it comes out. They are filming it now out at the old airport. He is using our 348ts in several of the shots. Not running, but stationary, against a blue-screen. They custom-fabbed a spoiler for it (crosses fingers that it doesn't suck...). We'll get it back from him sometime this weekend, maybe Mon. I try to take it out a few times a week if it isn't getting rented. She loves to be run through her gears on nice days up and down 360. Anyway, we should all get together sometime and take some pics.

14. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    I have an idea.... I'll drive the 348 and let you film! :D

15. 3DMotorsports

3DMotorsports Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    I'm actually going for a spin here in a little while. Probably be out on 360 a little, then head to Quizno's by the Mopac/71 intersection to pick up lunch. They got a pepper bar.:D

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    There's a quiznos there? I'm right across the street from the quiznos at 2222 & 360.

17. 3DMotorsports

3DMotorsports Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    Same building as Serrano's. Didn't make it that far up 360 today. Good to know, though.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ahh.

went to Freebirds on 2222 instead. I'm sure the opportunity will arise for a lunch meeting in the future.

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Randy,

Are you in the new Gables at 360 & 2222?

Also, where is Freebirds on 2222?

Finally, details about OTC-05 in Texas??

Thanks,

Dave

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I work in one of the buildings on Las Cimas Parkway - which is directly across from the La Madelaine from one of the breakfast meetings. But I still live up on Jollyville.

Freebirds on 2222 - strange if you haven't been there before. There's also a Suzi's up there as well (excellent wanton soup!). It's *almost* to Mopac going Eastbound. There's a Shell on your left, but at that light, immediately (pretty much right at) that Shell, take a right and go up the hill to the left. Not a bad view and pleasant scenery, especially on a day like today.

OTC in Texas - I had dinner with Bill & Jeff the other night, along with Derek (local Evo owner). We talked quite a bit about it. We've thought about plans to try and squeeze it in with other HPDE events, and thus, trying to build up the demand. At this point, it's just very difficult to judge the demand for an OTC in Texas, and hopefully not lose money on the deal.

So, that's where we are at right now. Quite a bind. BUT... I feel that if we can get John & Aaron from Speedventures (www.speedventures.net) out to TWS again for time trials with their AMB system, it could help drive some demand.

Other thoughts and considerations have to do with classing. Classing is very difficult, because the OTC is either about a) great drivers or b) cubic dollars. As you know, it isn't something like running Bstock in solo II where all the cars are pretty competitive with each other, and a lot has to do with setups within those limits and great drivers. This throws all of that out, eliminating the need for an 800 page manual about setting up your car while driving around cones at 35 miles an hour.

The conclusions we made about classing would be in terms of power/weight ratios. That would be difficult in itself to have everyone get dynos and then weigh them. However, we can weigh cars very easily. And we also have the weight of the car (from the factory) stamped into the cars' doorjam. Perhaps a classing could be within those specs, and thus, rely on weight alone. Of course, the reason behind a lot of classing would be to avoid someone like myself in an S2000, racing against a Z06, which is a dominator on just about any track. And the other reason to class would be to avoid race cars that are registered *just* for the event, with street tires on to race in a Touring class. Yes, that was done this past year. Cost the guy ~$1K just for that. I'm not sure how many dedicated track addicts there would be to accomplish this.

More later, that's all that is on the tip of my tongue at the moment.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Black/tan 512TR on Guadalupe, turning right going almost to Lamar. I was pulling out of Flamingo Automotive. Would have followed to make sure he knew about the breakfast, but... didn't want to stalk too bad plus I had to get back to work.

22. uthustler

uthustler Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Grapevine, Texas
    Full Name:
    TIP
    who owns the F40 down in Southwest Austin? I came up beside it on my sportbike a while back, looks good........

23. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    When did you see it? Is he back on the road? I know the car has been down for a while..... :( I miss seeing it! Actually, I think it was suposed to be back on the road starting last month or so, I have to go back and check, since I posted about it a while back in this forum. That is truly an awsome looking car and I hear it is super fast. I think he has a few stickers on it too? Been a while since I've seen it.

24. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Spent a day up in Austin, nice place you got. I had a great time checking out the ROT Rally.

Saw this Mondial drive into a Barnes & Noble parking lot just off the Capital of Texas Hwy around 3 yesterday afternoon.

The 360 Spyder was parked on 4th near Lavaca around 1 last night.

The bike..... I just thought it was funny, guess he will check for bird nests next time he parks under a tree.

25. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    That's funny on so many levels. Great pic!:D