Ferrari and FIA engine settlement | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari and FIA engine settlement

Discussion in 'F1' started by A348W, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Reintroduce carbs.

Vinyl is back in demand for the discerning. It is the best sound medium.

F1 is supposed to represent the best - not the latest temporary fad.

classic308 likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Limiting the fuel flow rate is the cornerstone of the present technical rules, probably even more important than the 100kg/hr rule.
    The idea was to prevent sudden bursts of power when needed, followed by more lift-and-coast periods to compensate.
    Anyone tempering with the fuel flow rate is turning the rules on their head, and blattantly cheating, IMO.

DGPF likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Flow rate is variable with RPM below 10,500rpm, its up to the teams to decide how they do it, above that to 15,000rpm it may not exceed 100kg/h

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#129 DF1, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/28851814/world-motor-sport-council-backs-fia-handling-ferrari-engine-row

The WMSC -- which features Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto among its representatives and has no other representation from any F1 team -- met on Friday and, among other issues, discussed the ongoing engine row. In a statement released on Friday night, it confirmed it supported the FIA's handling of the situation and appeared to take aim at the seven teams in opposition.

The council expressed unanimous support for the FIA President and the FIA Technical Department in regard to the overall management of the case, and strongly opposed any comments that undermine the reputation and image of the FIA and the Formula One World Championship," the statement read.

The WMSC also approved an increase in the minimum weight of F1 cars this season from 745kg to 746kg as a result of new elements to monitor the legality of power units, believed to be related to concerns over the legality of the Ferrari last year.

In addition, it confirmed drivers would be now be allowed to change their helmet design race to race, overturning a regulation set in 2015 that attempted to create more consistency in designs to help fans spot drivers.

The WMSC also approved a plan to allow teams to use F1's 2021-spec tyres, which are fitted to 18-inch rims, at the end-of-season test in Abu Dhabi.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Would lose 50-100 HP.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have some old Webers in the garage somewhere !

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hum, well, that's off topic, but the resurgence of vinyl records has a lot to do with poser hipsters. Vinyls get dirty and can get warped, while digital audio can exceed easily the capacity of human hearing. Let's say that vinyls sound "different", but not better.

Actually this is not entirely off topic: analog cars have more flavor but are slower than digital ones.

DGPF, polishhammer83 and william like this.
  8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And that's the point.
    As a spectacle does the mass audience really care if the 2021 digital car is 2% faster than an analogue beast that requires greater man handling that visually dances across the tarmac ?

DF1 and polishhammer83 like this.
  9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

40's ? :D

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, this is an old debate.

My personal opinion is that "living is easy with your eyes closed" and "time can change you but you can't change time". Formula 1 should go with the times (or ahead) and use the best technology available; actually it's already quite restricted. There are other races for the analog cars.

TonyL, kraftwerk and william like this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Maybe so.

But the ever-changing rules in F1 are not doing it any favours.
    Way too complex and time consuming for the mass audience to fully comprehend, and that's before FIA interpretations and subjective decisions.

There's a solid reason why boxing, football and tennis are constant popular sports. The rules are straightforward and remain the same through the decades.

Comparatively, F1 is an irrelevant joke.

DGPF, DF1 and TonyL like this.
  12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How about if they managed to work out a way to store the fuel after the sensor.
    And in keeping with that theme....."The more I see the less I know for sure" JL ;)

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not so easy to do. There is a sensor right at the end of the line.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the technical rules need to be complex because anything high tech is complex. But that's not the problem: the general public doesn't know how a carburettor works either.

Regarding the sporting rules, yes, I agree, too much complex.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    the more complex, the more opportunity there is for loop holes!

just look at any tax system!!!

DGPF, senyah, SimCity3 and 2 others like this.
  16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Nice idea but :)

5.10.5 Any device, system or procedure the purpose and/or effect of which is to increase the flow rate or to store and recycle fuel after the measurement point is prohibited.

The measurement point is the fuel tank sensor!

Tony

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That was the theory, but the practice made them put a second sensor before the injectors.

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Taken in conjunction with the other regulations and 5.10.5 it seems pretty watertight to me and no reason to fit another sensor, obviously somebody has come up with idea and the FIA put in another sensor just to make sure. The plumbing arrangement is pretty clearcut too!

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, there was a lot of talk about flexible fuel lines, so it wasn't so clearcut.

classic308 likes this.
  20. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    They could also put oil into the fuel line to get extra combustion; regs just talk about it going into the air mix?!

Water injection?!

who knows; and I doubt we ever will. FIA seem to want to bury this fairly deep.

william likes this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ecclestone: 'The teams must sue the FIA'

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/712125/Ecclestone_The_teams_must_sue_the_FIA/

Bernie Ecclestone says that Ferrari's acceptance of a settlement from the FIA is an admission of guilt and that it is too late for Liberty Media or the FIA to put out this particular fire.

Seven Formula One teams launched a protest against the findings of an FIA investigation into the 2019 Ferrari power unit after an undisclosed settlement was reached between Ferrari and the FIA. Former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says that the teams should now sue the FIA.

The teams must sue the FIA," Ecclestone told F1 Insider. "It is about millions of dollars, which I think they are entitled to. If Ferrari was so innocent, why didn't they make the settlement with Jean Todt public? To me, that looks like a confession."

The current FIA president, Jean Todt, is a former team principal of Ferrari, a fact that has not gone unnoticed by teams.

Ecclestone continued by saying, “There have always been fires that I had to put out as a fireman. In my time, however, it was always possible to find a middle way with the teams, the FIA and myself. Now that is too late,"

DGPF likes this.
  22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Bernie never wastes a chance of saying that he would already have fixed everything.

The poor bastard must be missing it.

23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Bernie was a good fireman.

Carey only has a good moustache.

polishhammer83 and 375+ like this.
  24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Well off topic but I like the helmets changing race to race. :D

Robb

A348W and william like this.
  25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, sometimes he was a pyromaniac fireman.

polishhammer83 and william like this.