Ferrari and Indy Car | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari and Indy Car

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #76 lorenzobandini, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    I already surrendered and you continue with irrelevance.
    You asked a question about Formula One.........

"remind me, how many F1 do they sell ? :)"

.........and insist on using "Hypercars" for some reason or another.

Though WEC and F1 are linked by FIA, they do not share regulations.

No mas. I can't keep up.

Let's go back to discussing horizontal runoff at Zandvoort's banking now.....:eek::D

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You need to read all my posts to understand, not jump in half way throught the thread.
    Sorry, I can't help you.

You use quotes out of context, so of course they don't make sense. :eek:

3. You couldn't be any clearer than "remind me, how many F1 do they sell ? :)"

I was walking to get a pizza yesterday and was almost hit by a wayward golf ball. (golf course across the street from me).... Image Unavailable, Please Login

edit: BTW, there's skinless, boneless, chicken thighs on sale at Aldi's......

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    A better move would be to have any Indy car effort branded as Maserati, much like the MC12 effort. Maserati has a much better history In relation to Indy than Ferrari. In addition Maserati is in dire need of raising its profile, which would come with success in the series.

Unfortunately Maserati was moved from Ferrari management to Chrysler management. Hopefully they could do a similar arrangement like the Alfa F1 team.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If you had read the whole sentence in the context of the discussion, it would make sense.

Post #64:
    "And Ferrari would have no problem selling their Hypercars to private teams either; remind me, how many F1 do they sell ? "

I give you a clue, it's the words selling and sell. It wasn't a question at all.
    That's my sarcastic way of saying that Hypercars would be a profitable commercial proposition where Indycar won't be.

I can't believe you didn't get that.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's just tasteless badge engineering.
    Everybody knows that the FIAT group has completely diluted the DNA of Maserati and Alfa Romeo.
    Today's cars have nothing in common with the once proud Italian firms.

7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    William and Lorenzobandini - Both of you do know that there's no such thing as a winner in this type of dialouge - right?? Opinion is opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Maybe. But consider that neither marque would exist today without big, bad FIAT's help.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Thanks for your intervention, but I only see harmless banter in this discussion.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Take Maserati . . . please.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Many famous brands have disappeared.
    Some are remembered, some are forgotten.
    Alfa ceased to be Alfa in the 50s; as for Maserati when the Orsi sold it.

12. But you can't even fit NHRA's Top Fuel 496 C.I. hemi with blower in a Fiat; so how many cars does Holden sell? ;) (keep context in mind now.... :p)

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    and that includes Ferrari!

Sig. Roma and pilotoCS like this.
  14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Of course.:mad:

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    IndyCar

Ferrari’s IndyCar interest “really encouraging” – Penske

Team Penske president Tim Cindric says that Ferrari’s interest in an IndyCar programme is “really encouraging” for the series, after the Formula 1 manufacturer acknowledged a potential entry as an option.

Due to the budget cap restrictions in F1, its three biggest teams – Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari – have discussed the need to redeploy staff, or risk redundancies.

Speaking before the budget cap was set at an initial £145 million – with incremental reductions to follow in the subsequent years – Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said that the Maranello team was willing to evaluate an IndyCar or World Endurance Championship programme if the cost cap was set too low.

Penske has won four of the last six IndyCar titles, and has a long presence in the series, with team owner Roger Penske entering America’s top level single-seater tier in 1968. Penske completed the purchase of the IndyCar championship along with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier this year.

IndyCar is set to introduce a 900bhp hybrid engine in 2022 and a new chassis in the same year, but could debut parts of the new chassis in different years to complete a new car by 2027. IndyCar has stated the upcoming engine rules cycle will run from 2022-2027.

When asked by The Race about a phased chassis introduction, Cindric said: “Honestly, we’ve been so tied up in what’s been going on the last three months or so that I couldn’t give you too many details of even what’s been discussed.

“Our focus has been on today and how to get through today to get to tomorrow.

“This process that we’ve been through, it’s turned into three days a week, right. There’s today, tomorrow and yesterday. You forget what day of the week it is.

“Been really struggling with trying to keep up with what’s happening on that [future car rules] front, and I think there’s been lots of discussion, and I think it’s really encouraging to hear that a manufacturer like Ferrari might be interested in the series itself.

“It tells you how far the series has come in a very short period of time here, and I think if we can get back on track, a lot of those things are going to be pretty exciting.

“But from today, I can’t honestly tell you that we have a very good perspective of even what’s been discussed just because we’re so focused on just getting through the next day.”

https://the-race.com/indycar/ferraris-indycar-interest-really-encouraging-penske/#.XtfYWRyKwrw.twitter

Ferrari did build an IndyCar in the 1980s, the 637, but the car was never raced by the team as many believed it to be a political play to persuade the FIA to change its F1 engine regulations.

375+ likes this.
  16. Nothing new. Politics, not racing.

greg328 likes this.
  17. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Unfortunately I think that's just trying to milk the story for all it's worth. As you can see from prior pages, I'm a huge fan of this becoming reality, but listening to various podcasts and reading all the online info I can, everyone seems to agree Ferrari are really just blowing smoke. Marshall Pruett and others have asked Indy car how much conversation they've had with Ferrari, and the truth is basically non since before the last press release on the next engine specs. If they had any actual interest surely they'd have been in at least semi regular contact. IF you read that press release from Cindric is basically says nothing at all. Pity, let's hope for LMDh then.

william likes this.
  18. No surprise, as stated earlier, history does repeat itself.....

19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    For one...I really love IndyCar. They have been having some great racing all through the field. I would also be seriously enthusiastic about Ferrari coming to IndyCar and racing!

20. 'Don't see Ferrari racing in a series where they don't build their own race cars; 'just can't see them running an out of the box Dallara like everyone else. If they did, to me, it wouldn't be Ferrari anymore............Enzo would be rolling over.....
    And IndyCar off the spec/kit car gig? It puts on too good of a "show"; I don't see that happening any time soon in IndyCar.

william likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree.
    They would have to change the rules to accept a Ferrari-designed chassis and engine, and run by the Scuderia..
    I cannot see that.
    I like McLaren, but I find their foray in Indycar as no more than sponsoring another team.
    Nothing against specs series as such, but you cannot introduce innovation or diversity with that model.
    That's the price to pay for having an affordable series.

22. (A) Is there an echo in here....?
    (B) If they have their own crew, they're not a team? Then Andretti Autosport, Penske, Ganassi, et al, are not "teams" either?? They're "sponsors"??? I'm confused. (To be clear for you, 'not really. 'Called sarcasm...)
    (C) No kidding. That's the definition of "specified" (spec) racing. ("Spec" description of spec racing?.......Booooorrrring...)
    (D) Q - "How fast can I go?"....
    ........A - "How much money do you have?"
    They each have a place. (just not for me) Whatever floats your boat. ;)

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A) In introduction, I agree with you! It's a way of saying this post won't be hostile. You should like it ! ;)
    B) It's really not a McLaren team, it's the Smith-Arrow team, sponsored by McLaren. You don't see the difference ? :rolleyes:
    C) Emphasis is necessary for the reader to get the message. Glad you got it. :p
    D) Don't blame specs series; in some circumstances they are necessary for any racing to exist. :)

24. A) But I was hoping......
    B) McLaren's not providing it's own crew? They're not just affiliated/associated? I thought they were.... 'Always willing to learn.
    C) "Got it"? I've known it for 60 years (give or take...when I became aware of FV. ;)).
    D) What blame? An observation and opinion is not "blaming" something/someone for anything.

I do, however, blame you entirely for upsetting my otherwise lovely Sunday morning. :mad:

:D

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    B) It also says Alfa Romeo on the cars, but the crew is Sauber ! ;) McLaren didn't create a team, just partly took over an existing one.

C) Exchange the verb "blame" that irritates you, for "condemn", or if too strong for you taste try "dismiss" :rolleyes:

Is it Sunday today? I didn't know. Is it the only day when you are allowed a cold beer then ? :p