Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program! | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by chrixxx, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Amazing how a good livery can make the car look awesome.
    I think it is fantastic that, rather than laying people off due to the F1 cost cap, Ferrari have embarked on this project.
    After F1 doldrums and the Purosangre it is nice to be reminded why I love our marque.

crinoid and jpalmito like this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Actually, they subcontracted the monocoque construction (not the design) to Dallara, and I suppose they subcontracted more things. Probably they won´t build more than 5 or 6 of these cars.

jpalmito and william like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Good information. If only 5 or 6 cars are built, there won't be many sold to private teams.

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    IDK you guys; it’s kinda goofy looking don’t you think?, which is neither here nor there, and its sounds…well I guess the sound is neither here or there also. I find my interest to be about the same, (neither here or there). I guess part of my interest lies in the presentation and it probably shouldn’t drive my opinion because we are here to race and win and presentation isn’t going to help win but……

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't know, it's just a guess. These cars are so expensive that I doubt many privateers can afford one. But who knows, maybe the LMDhs suck and the only decent thing that anybody can buy is the Ferrari. Just like the 333SP, nobody cared about it until they realized it could be a good business and built 40.

ingegnere likes this.
  6. sailfly

sailfly Karting

Dec 21, 2020
  7. sailfly

sailfly Karting

Dec 21, 2020
    Probably can counter/sandbag BoP more effectively as well.

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Honestly, it looks like all the other hyper cars. Nothing special. Looks like it was designed by Oreca with red paint and a yellow stripe with a 2.9 liter V6 Alfa Romeo engine...LOL. Sorry. I could not resist.

BMW and Porsche did a better job.

Now the 296 GT3 looks ready for battle. It looks like a purpose driven machine with a more expensive 2.9 Alfa V6 engine plus 30 degrees.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Nothing about the Porsche says Porsche to me. It is my least favorite of the designs. A face only a mother could love.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G970U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #536 william, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022

I have been a Porsche fan for decades, so I may be a bit bias here.
    I cannot argue about the esthetics of their car; surely functionality is more important than look on a race car?

I think Porsche has a different approach than most other constructors, and that's why their choice was LMDh instead of LMH.
    Porsche has always been marketing their race cars, as part of their strategy.
    That's what they did with the 917 initially, then with the 956 and 962, where their market was primarily in the US.
    So they decided to have a car that would satisfy the IMSA market FIRST, and designed it accordingly.
    Yes, using a Multimatic chassis, and a standard hybrid system seems a lot of compromise compared to a LMH car built in house.
    But it will be cheaper to produce, and sell in numbers, whilst being able to run in both championships.
    The BoP will take care of the performance deficit (if any) compared to a LMH Ferrari, Toyota or Peugeot, IMO.

jpalmito likes this.
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

You aren't wrong about anything you wrote. Just saying when IMSA had the 4 LMDh cars next to each other the Porsche stood out the most as the ugliest and the hardest one to determine what the brand was without looking at the badge. Of the 4 BMW got it right design wise (and I hate the design of current BMW road cars).

william likes this.
  12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I learned a few more things about these cars. The engine is actual a structural member of the rear assembly. That is amazing piece of engineering to take your factory engine and make it a structural piece of the car.
    The Ferrari uses more fins to control spill over which helps the cornering downforce. More so than other manufactures. The front nose incorporates F1 technology. Neat stuff.
    The whole LMP/hypercar entry came about because of the F1 spending cap of $145 million. Ferrari had a surplus of racing funds. It is going to be fun to watch.

The debut is Sebring 2023 my home track. I am sure Ferrari will sneak over and do some pre-testing like everyone else.

maximilien, mdrums and Devilsolsi like this.
  13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I still haven't made it to Sebring. I reeeeaaaaallly need to go next year.

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Great stuff! Sebring is my home track as well. There are some good places outside of the track to watch some testing. I wish I knew when they’d be there.

15. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I'm a bit worried how these LMH cars will look at the track. I do like the design of the 499P but the performance is a question mark. Did FIA set the bar too low?

F1: 798 kg (with driver) / 1000+ hp = 0,8 kg/hp

LMH: 1030 kg ( ~ 1100 kg with driver) / 680 hp = 1,6 kg/hp

So acceleration is only half of the F1. I just hope we get at least some sound out of the LMH cars. So far it doesn't look too good.

On the positive side, the V6 in 296 GTB appears to produce better noice than Ferrari's V8 turbo engines. Also, this new stressed 120° V6 is most certainly going to end up in LaFerrari successor, so they will have great synergies testing it first in WEC / Le Mans. And from the packaging point of view that V6 will be one hell of a machine to end up in production car.

cesman, jpalmito and ingegnere like this.
  16. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    As far as I have understood, the LMH engine block is totally new. I suspect it does not share much more with the production V6 than the configuration of 3 litre 120° V6. Of course, it is likely to have some other similarities as well.

ingegnere likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The 499P looks nothing like an Oreca. The Oreca is so unique, in fact, that no other LMDh or LMH car—except for the Oreca-based Acura—looks like it.

The V6–at 120 deg bank angle with a 3-throw crank—is nothing like the 90 deg Alfa V6 which, BTW, is derived from a Ferrari V8.

jpalmito likes this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, must be a new block and probably also new heads or cam covers for the structural loads being put through the engine.

inox likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Having the engine as a stress member on a sportscar isn't new; it's been done for the last 20 years at least.
    The engine block on the Ferrari 499p isn't the same as the one on the 296 GTB, although it has the same configuration.
    The Ferrari LMH has a special reinforced block with extra lugs from foundry to attach it to the bulkhead at the front and support the gearbox and rear suspension.

jpalmito and inox like this.
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008

Interesting. Ill leave this here

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 and endurance present completely different challenges:

F1: a GP is about 1h 30 minutes duration, and roughly 200 miles distance

Endurance : races are up to 24 hours duration, and up to between 3000 and 3200 miles distance

So, it's not surprising that a LMH car isn't built like a F1: it competes in races that are the equivalent of 16 GPs !!!

Senad and jpalmito like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    In fact it seems this same engine will powered the Laferrari replacement in 2024.

polishhammer83 and ingegnere like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummm ... a stressed member engine on a road car? It's usually avoided for 2 reasons:

- they transmit too much vibrations to the chassis and it's uncomfortable for passengers
    - you have to dis-assemble the rear from the bulkhead for most mechanical interventions hence massive maintenance cost.

But maybe Ferrari has found cures for these?

kandi likes this.
  24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    They already did it with the F50.
    Remember we are talking about their Halo car.
    Usually ultra collectible car without kms !;):D

polishhammer83 likes this.