Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe the complete opposite will be true.

ICE will be in very high demand, the market is not requesting removal of ICE options, it is being forced (top-down method).

And, for anyone without the ability to "charge at home" (a very substantial number), EVs will literally never make any sense at all.

Just the same, in 5 years, in the USA, there will not be 16m EVs in total (ever produced) or in annual production (16m is approx. annual USA car/light vehicle sales) (this is not referring to hybrids, just pure EV), so Toyota and any other sensible manufacturers still producing ICE in volume will be very busy.

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Mine saw track time, both a 308 and a 330. Over many years.

I only want the option. I don’t care how much slower it is. I’m looking at you, Corvette C8 too.

This is why I’m considering a Scuderia Glickenhaus 004.

Matt

paulchua likes this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    This is a really good observation. I'm 53. growing up my Dad was around in the 50's and 60's for the racing scene and I grew up knowing all about the GTO's and 250 SWB's - and loved those cars. My favorite at the time was the 206 Dino... with the spinners... then the first one I saw in the metal was a 330 GTC - always remembered that car - smell and sound. then as a teenager in the 80's - you are right the BB, 308, 288GTO - F-40 and Testarossa were THE cars... and really for me they still are today. BUT - I bought a 599 - more modern etc.. and love it, so you have to explore a bit more. I still morn letting go my 328 - great car and for me the essence of Ferrari... but the reality is Enzo Ferrari just looked at those older cars as... OLD CARS - he was focused on the future tech - what made him successful in the future both racing and financially. I doubt that he really cared about any of the road cars - unless it brought him a big win - either in money, connection or like Rosselini's one off - time with Ingrid Bergman... he was chasing it to the end!

Rossocorsa1 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Ferrari is like Picasso or Gucci or Hermes - there is the exclusive veneer behind it... and everyone looks the racing - the $70M GTO classic cars, some get the actual history etc... and its nice to think that these are had made - really exclusively done cars. even when you go to the factory its impressive from the technology and then some of the had finishing ... but the reality is its a business - and they are mass producing these as much as the market bears. Picasso made thousands of lithographs, and plates etc.. that sell for big money... but its not Guernica - or an original painting. that is what people think about ... but the reality is people are hungry for anything "Picasso" that is numbered and "original"... same for Gucci and Hermes - its nice to think your shoes are being made by one guy, or hand-sewn but the reality is - they are masse produced in modern factories... there is quality materials etc.. but its not Luigi or Rene doing it by hand any more. just like Ferrari are not made by hand any more.... they just make a desired product.

dpw98 likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I question Ferrari's strategy of diluting the brand by offering so many different cars. Look at Porsche:

1. 911
    2. 718
    3. SUV
    4. Sedan
    5. EV

Of these, the SUVs are the big money makers and the Sedan is breathing on the 911's tail.

As a former home builder, I can assure you of the benefits of repetition. If you do the same thing over and over again, you can't help but to get better at what you do.

Ferrari would be well advised (not that they give a damn what I or any of you think) to adopt a similar strategy:

1. The most outrageous super car in the world. Whatever the configuration, it is number one. Think a mega-Veyron.

2. Really cool two-seat droptop sports car. The top has to drop over two seats.

3. SUV/Sedan combo. Think a rock 'n' roll Cayenne.

4. EV if you must.

By focusing, maybe just maybe, Ferrari can get production quality into the 20th Century.

anunakki, LARRYH and Thecadster like this.
  6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    V6 and hybrid do not make me very excited at all to be honest, the prospect of a mini SF90 even less so.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I understand how you feel, but just remember, what will have the most impact on the this cars potential success is how it looks. I never had engine stats posted on my bedroom wall when I was a teen. If the car looks amazing, that's what inspires people more than anything. We all know what to expect from the power plant at this point. It's the design that I am excited to see.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    “broccoli is vile weed”......newman

Texas Forever and Thecadster like this.
  9. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Absolutely agree, the looks will be very important....lets hope for something beautiful and not TOO heavy!

Nonoyeahyeah likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're totally correct! My mistake, sorry @Natkingcolebasket69 was thinking 911 RSR.

In terms of having a no-frills manual car, I'm on board with that!

9nb likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I understand and sympathize with the lamentations on ICE's swan song. It's good fun to lament Rock n Roll's demise and stick our collective tounges out at the emo-ridden landscape.

I get it.

I'm just always forward-looking like the namesake of this very site, Enzo Ferrari.

When Pierro states that Enzo would not only embrace electric cars but would try to be the 'first' to do it.

What can I say? I believe Enzo Ferrari's surviving son.

Since I see that ICE has no inherent performative benefits (outside endurance racing and subjective sound,) you'll know no gnashing of my teeth.

I am the latest/greatest type of guy when it comes to top-tier cars. It doesn't prevent any of us to buy older classics if that's what we prefer.

Ironically, the new generation of kids (tomorrow's buyers) growing up in video games prefer the Tron-Esque whirl of an electric swirl. One can engineer an electric car to sound like any ICE as milquetoast as the act would be.

Looking at modern cars, where faux vents outweigh any functional elements, I argue the battle was lost long ago.

PMiranda likes this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i have no problem with electric cars other than the false positives that surround them. almost mythical.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think you are right. The ICE is old tech. its what people who are in their 40's + know and are comfortable with. The new generation, will be different. question is when. Electric cars - I'm fine with it. The acceleration is amazing. the noise less so. but I'm sure there is a way to synthesize any noise you like in an electric supercar. the question is will it be achingly beautiful so that you want one? will it just be stunning? will the performance out do anything else? if the answer is yes - there will be a market. from what I see, I think it will work. Right now a Tesla does 0 for me. looks wise etc... the ones I've been in are amazing performance wise - but also kinda cheap and plasticky.... maybe they are better? but from the outside they just look like a bloated lexus... not for me & that is ok too. now if they come out with a car that is electric and looks like a 330P.... I'm all in. or a 308, or a Dino etc... sure. now you have my interest. There is a reason Rolex sells all the Daytona watches it can make... and its not because they tell the time best.

Texas Forever and dpw98 like this.
  14. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    In an all electric world (IMO never happening) Ferrari would not be in a good position to be successful in the long term. Ferrari is highly reliant on the ICE as part of the experience. Short term, for sure they can leverage their strong brand to sell whatever they want. But the lack of proper differentiation among electric cars will let the brand fade away slowly but constantly, until a point when the glorious old days are that far away, that nobody really remembers them and people are not willing to pay premium for just another electric car...

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    EV will have to do more than 150 miles on a tank to get my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You are not alone.

Marcel Massini

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    EV is old tech as well, over 100 years actually with the Baker Electric in the late 1800s.

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    wonder what the battery and wiring alone add to overall weight?

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    and Formula E doesnt seem to be a big hit at this point. are they still using 2 cars per race?

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes, Dr. Porsche sr. started with electric cars in the late 1800's... he was a very early adopter of mixed drive - electric tied to a petrol generator... with motors in hubs. Austro Daimler, and a Lohner - Porsche design. its the batter tech that is new, coupled with computing power etc... in theory a Lohner Porsche is the same as a Tesla... only in philosophy.

21. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    True. Might debate #1 and #10. #1 because "the man" will find a way to game the fill up (recharge). #10 because there isn't enough history of mass production and distribution just yet. But, you landed some solid punches with the list.

paulchua likes this.
  22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm going to save judgement till I at least see it but Ferrari hasn't instilled confidence in me lately.

Between their pathetic focus in F1 and their foray into "fashion" I'm not sure they even care. I get the feeling they are trying to whore out the brand anyway possible to new money. The Ferrari Style runway show? Wtf. All their social media now promotes that "new" company "feel good" gen Z vibe with a clear focus on marketing and not results. I was appalled to see a slew of "great job! posts after the embarrassing French GP qualifying.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jack-the-lad, jpalmito and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I feel similarly but I do think those of us who appreciate what Ferrari fundamentally is need to keep that passion alive. I will never forget as kid hearing a 365 bb blast up the road, a very rare car in South Africa, seeing that car, hearing that car left a profound impression on me, reading the Ferrari story and understanding the odds Enzo overcame to find success, the tales of taking on Ford and when you think how small the company was and still is today what they accomplished was amazing.

What would excite me would be a lightweight car, a car that does not simply follow cars like the Atura but genuinely sets a standard for driver enjoyment rather than figure boasting among friends.

HotShoe likes this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    And the same for ICE. Better tech in ICE engines and with computers than 100 years ago. Either way both modes of transportation won't matter by 2050 due to ecological collapse and bigger problems for the world and all of the economies.

25. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #100 ginoBBi512, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    ICEs breath so much better today , in some instances the exhaust is cleaner than the air going in, so between that, and the fact that all the batteries needed, and their footprint on the environment to manufacture them, there will be no gain with 100 % electric. There are much bigger problems, like all the plastic garbage in the ocean for one, and the possible extinction of sea life from over fishing and wild animals from poaching them.The Amazon is in bad shape from deforestation as well.

Thank you