Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Growing your own power is awesome, trying to compare ICE sports cars with slot cars, ignorant at best. I always thought a sport car was named for the sport of driving, slot cars provide NO SPORT WHATSOEVER , its that simple, like I said, you can package an electric motor any way you want, it will never be a sports car . Period.

Thank you

c8spidey and JTSE30 like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m sure the car is very nice, but, for me, Ferrari’s are supposed to be about dreams. This new car doesn’t inspire that. Not in the least. It shows no real creative license. It’s a new car. It should have been a massive design departure from anything else that’s offered currently. I’ll now focus my anticipation on the LaFerrari successor.

Dohangs and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lol, actually my 4c looks more Italian/ferrari than this. This actually looks like the Lotus Evora 400 on the side.

rumen1 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  4. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    To me it looks like a very modern take on the Dino. I don’t mind the looks, but the front does remind me a little of a mclaren. I’m just not bought into hybrid for my fun cars. Maybe that will change in time but modern sports cars are so fast and capable nowadays that they become so much less fun for me on the road. I spent decades buying better and better sports cars, and when I was able to afford the really fast ones, I realized I didn’t like them as much as the less capable but more involving ones unless I was on a track. So the big question I will be looking to answer with the 296 is whether it is fun and involving. I’m personally not a fan of the digitalization of all the buttons though. There was nothing wrong with them before, and more tactile is better to me.

Pawilly and Jack-the-lad like this.
  5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am a member of a 'Dubai Drives' chat group with a few hundred members; when the first photos were recently posted the reaction was universal disappointment. Lots of comment on how the design office inside Ferrari should be shut down and the work given back to Pininfarina (even if it is now currently owned by Mahindra).

While it is unfortunate that the bland, derivative styling makes it so unattractive (all Ferraris look the same now), I don't really care, the hybrid nature of the mechanicals means I would never have any interest in owning one. I have had at least one Ferrari since 2004, but I guess I am not the target demographic. I would currently rather buy a Lamborghini or a Porsche (with a manual box), or an early analog Ferrari.

The bigger curiosity is the long term effect of the watering down of the brand. Will it make my BB512 worth less when the name Ferrari no longer evokes much of a reaction amongst car enthusiasts, or will the absence of new desirable cars make the old ones worth more?

MJJ, G. Pepper, Jack-the-lad and 3 others like this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Kind of feels like a blatant money grab doesn’t it? :)

Just wait for the next “special” editions of the 296 so they can really milk every cent. Oh, they also probably make many more than they originally claim. ;)

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #157 ginoBBi512, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    I really love the Ferrari Dream statement, its says everything, I have not dreamed about a Ferrari the way i did with the 308. 328 , 348 , 355 , Testa, F40 , F50 . These were the cars I grew up with, and Im very fortunate to be driving one of those dreams, the 328 . I do love the Enzo as well, but since I believe thats out of reach, my new dream Ferrari is the 488 / F8 . This 296 is no where near a dream as far as I can tell. Maybe they should go back to Pinan Farina ? What say you ? Go stand next to an Enzo, a while back , I did just that over at Ferrari South Bay, it was in black, and it looks better than any other Ferrari that came after, now Im not including the V12s front mounted, this Enzo does to me everything that the F40 does, its absolutely insane !! Its that simple. I want to add, that its possible that Ferrari has run out of designs that have " the boy racer hard edges / sharpness " and thats ok, the 458 / 488 / F8 are the best designs since the last of that run. I just dont think they can or will do anything else thats going to be considered a dream car, and by the way, the La Ferrari is not a dream car by any stretch of the imagination, I will take a 355 any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Thank you

8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Pininfarina is very a different company today than it was let's say 15 years ago. So I wouldn't see going back to Pininfarina as kind of a solution. Let's be clear Manzoni and his team are for sure capable of creating great designs, but I feel sometimes they might be trying a lttle too hard on certain elements. Pininfarina on the other hand also produced very akward designs (Their proposal for the LaFerrari design as an example was just awful IMO). At the end it's more a governace problem in my opinion. Is there a clear design brief for a new model? What is the role of the prodcut management as an decision body in part of a steering comitee to sign-off certain designs?

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I can not understand why anyone who has the money , would by anything else other than an F40 / F50 / Enzo When it comes to Ferrari Super Cars , they all put the La Freak to shame, its that simple.

Thank you

10. Jim Rossa Corso

Jan 8, 2006
    Pardon me for jumping in, but I think the longer EPA CAFE test is 11 miles on the treadmill. I don't know about the EU's unified test length, but perhaps something similar? The EU gives low volume producers more latitude than the large volume mfrs. The 15 miles is probably some fudge factor to make sure it's running mostly or completely on battery during tests, and doesn't represent the real world, just "gaming" the tests. Yes, dragging two power trains and heavy batteries around is very performance counter-productive, but it's all about gaming the test. I want to say the CAFE penalty for non-compliance is $32K/car, making few mfrs. willing to pass that on to the buyer. If anyone could do it, it would be Ferrari, Bugatti, et al.

I believe at least the U.S. government realizes the gaming is going on, because if it were really a true test, all mfrs would have to rigidly meet everything and there would be little differentiation between powertrains. Without Unique Selling Points, other than paint colors, badge, and styling, there would be little difference between mfrs. justifying a big price ticket. That would mean a big wipe-out of brands and the resultant economic carnage.

The U.S. already allows a huge loophole for "light trucks," i.e., SUVs, and pickup trucks (most of which are used as sedans, with four doors and a small bed.) The EU is more rigid there, CO2 is CO2 and they don't get a break for vehicle size. The U.S. does because Detroit's most profitable vehicles are in the "light truck" classification.

I watched the Ferrari 296 GTB video, and was impressed they focused on driving engagement, retained much of the MSC-styles cockpit, and used a 120 degree V6, instead of the usual cheap-out of a 90 degree V8 with the front two cylinders lopped off (and resultant balance shaft work-arounds for the imbalance.) What I didn't hear was what it weighed, which I suspect will be much too much, and while they touted the exhaust sound a lot, between the turbos and GPFs it sounded like crap to me. Of course F1 cars have sounded like crap since 2014 as well. I noted a couple of years ago the AMG Mercedes Safety Car, got a lot quieter mufflers, because it sounded better than the race cars.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, but the internal combustion engine became dominant in part because the Standard Oil monopoly saw Ford’s new cars as a way to cash in on gasoline, which had been a byproduct. It wasn’t necessarily the best technology, and I would guess that in the coming decades people will vote with their wallets for vehicles that last forever and outperform our complicated, maintenance intensive fleet of today.

Regulators and the environment are definitely changing cars, but we ended up with the current fossil fuel/millions-of-tailpipes model for reasons other than it being the best technology…

I love classic sports cars, but I’m excited to see what comes next.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    different strokes for different folks. what's so hard to understand?

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I get it, your right for sure, I cant expect everyone to be moved by all of the Ferraris that move me .

Thank you

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m not one of those who only likes cars from my youth, though I do prefer them. The best looking mid-engine Ferrari’s in recent years have been the F8 and the LaFerrari. They’re amazing. But, sorry, this latest design is very surprising. They had a chance to really excite the automotive world with something wholly fresh and innovative, and they didn’t.

CWR01 likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id get a 288 before any of those

G. Pepper, jm2 and TheMayor like this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 288 GTO gets no love....

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Here's the place we differ! :)

The F-50 is the only Halo Car I'm interested in: Mid V12, F1 Derived, ALL MANUALS, and swoopy styling. :D

Not much in the way of safety aids either! :eek:

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree 100%. In my opinion it’s the best of the Ferrari supercars. The 288 and F40 styling are too derivative and the cars from the Enzo forward don't appeal to me at all. And the sound of the F50 engine is glorious.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s great to see all tastes are out there bc personally I would never take a f50 over the f40.
    Not only I found the f40 more keen to the eye but , inspite being 10 years newer, it was slower than the original.
    Don’t get me wrong: I’d love to own one but not over a f40 is what I’m saying;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anunakki likes this.
  20. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    F40, derivative? How so? There isn’t any other car that looks remotely like it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

anunakki and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's a pumped up 308. :)

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When it came out Road and Track said "this is what the 308 should have been in the first place". For sure the more muscles in the body really helped the looks.

23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 308 is an icon, the F-40 was not an improvement. The 360, however, was. :). The F-50 was the only Hypercar Ferrari ever got right. None of the others interest me at all... but I'm old... thankfully. :)

24. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Heh, well I know the lineage, but the 288 is the pumped 308. And yea I know the GTO Evoluzione led to the F40 so there is a deep-ish link but it looks so different from every angle, I can’t see what you are saying honestly ;)

I guess I have a very soft spot for the F40 as it’s the car I saw “in the flesh” (parents took me to the science museum in London to see it on display) when it was launched when I was 13, and that totally got me into Ferrari for life.

I’m much more inclined to say the whole way from 360 to current gen 488 / SF90 and F8 mid engines are all essentially the same silhouette with small gradual tweaks. Way less differences than 308 to F40 and over a much longer (too long) time span.

I love the F50 too no doubt, but styling wise I find it a bit awkward and I had the luck to hear one being fired up and moved when I was at my dealer getting car serviced and honestly the start up was disappointing. I’m sure it sounds epic if you’re in it at full chat, but my car sounded better there and then :D

Sounded like a Ford Focus ST at start-up hehe

Not arguing, just my POV ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Why I love this site.

After 17 page of comments about some bland and derivative new Ferrari which I have already forgotten the name of, we get back to the core question: what is better, a 288, F40 or F50. I think more discussion is necessary to resolve it...

FWIW, I prefer the F40's styling, but I prefer the F50's powertrain. I wonder if it would fit in the F40....

Baracus250GT and Thecadster like this.